MiniBuild 19 ~ Shop Travelette

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Moving along... time to put the new plugs in.

Behold the infamous plug gaping tool. I don't know why, but I hate these things. They seem to be everywhere, and no body uses them.
    [​IMG]

To use this plug gap tool, simply insert the steadily growing wedge into the gap in the electrode of your plug, then rotate it till it gets to the gap you want.
    [​IMG]

I know what you're going to say at this picture..
    [​IMG]
    .045" gap ~ that's too much! Easy tiger, the gap closes due to the metals memory. We ended up at about .040" ~ and thats because the coil I used is a little hot ~ aka high voltage. When gapping plugs, you want to make sure you have the energy for the spark to jump the gap and still be strong. The better the spark, the better the ignition process. The better the process, the better the burn, the better the burn, the more power your motor makes.

After we're done with this leg of the test, we'll be installing a DUI distributor ~ and it's coil is even hotter (more voltage) than the one we have now. Bigger spark, bigger bang.

With the plugs gapped the same, they were installed and we reached for the next step of this tuneup. That's right...
    [​IMG]
    PLUG WIRES.

I'm going to be brutally honest here. I hate these wires. Okay, maybe that's too strong. I dislike them. SURE they're a good performance wire, YES they'll serve a long time. But....
    [​IMG]
    ...if you don't have one of these. Your screwed. Guess, what. I don't have one of those. And that's a key reason I enlisted Ed to help with this. He does. So if you're in the market for doing a tuneup and don't want to buy a crimping tool to do it, have Jeff @ www.IHOnlyNorth.com send you some pre-cut/crimped wires. YES they'll cost a little more, but they'll save you about 1:30 minutes and the cost of a tool when installing the wires. That to me is well worth the $$ on the pre-crimped stuff.

Anyway, the tool aside, this is one of the pre-crimped ends. This is what you want to end up like.
    [​IMG]
    Lets see how we do.

2. Jake Brooks

Jake Brooks Farmall Cub

Damian, thank you for doing this thread. Its full of things I should do. I'm looking forward to the DUI installation. I've been wanting to do this upgrade for a while now. I'll be watching intently. :detective:

3. Damian Grihalva

No problem man. Its what I like to do.

The DUI will go on as soon as I run the numbers on this setup. First is to finish off this tank 'in city' ~ then I"ll take a 2 hour trip on the old interstate to get highway mileage, then its all about the dyno for some numbers. Then the DUI goes in and it all starts over!

4. john manderscheid

john manderscheid Farmall Cub

First off;
    Great thread! Im stoked to see someone else going at the tune up stuff systematically. I m building a 72 travelette, but the grille shown in the following pics is a modified 71. I plan to switch it with a chrome 69 surround. I think/ hope it will get the paint sprayed on it this month:clap:. Mine was even the same color as yours. Here is the link to some photos of mine:

www.ttyr2.com/international

About your fuel spillage issue; The 72 and newer pick-ups and travelalls had a steel filler neck as opposed to the rubber ones used through 71. passenger and driver side are the same. Fuel nozzles rest against the back of the filler neck and split the rubber ones, thus the leak at the gas station.

I plan to put a pertronix conv in mine and I went with a rebuilt quadjet w/ elect choke for my carb. Also plan on 3 inch dual pipes necked through 2.5 inch 40 series flowmasters and 4 inch tips. wand to go with tone as well as back pressure.

Thanks for the great info!

Happy wrenching!
    :wrenching:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  5. Damian Grihalva

Good gravy, this thread has gotten the least bit of attention! Boy do I have updates GALOUR for it.

John, great to see your T-ette. I robbed a picture from your folder, hope this is what you're talking about with the grill.
    [​IMG]
    Lookin' good :hammer::yes:

Well, since my last post, I've gone through two DIFFERENT carbs trying to get the best mileage I could. Needless to say, I've tried lots of things but the good news is that I finally got things stabilized enough to do the first dyno run. I know, 8 months later right? Insane.

Also came up with a name for the build, as well as secured a 392. That combined with a 4bbl manifold, some used headers off the Evo build, and a few other odds-n-ends and I should be able to get this thread back on the right track!

6. john manderscheid

john manderscheid Farmall Cub

thanks for the compliment Damian!

It finally has paint on it and is back on the road. I have plenty more updrades to do.

Here is the most recent pic I have:

Im still battling some tuning issues with the Q-jet, the 392 is falling on its face when pulling, so that is my next order of business.

I also have a 5spd OD and the exhaust upgrades I mentioned before to try to accomplish this summer, all parts collected, now if i can just find where I hid all my extra time...

What coil did you upgrade to on your rig?

John

Attached Files:

7. Damian Grihalva

Looks awesome. Love it.

8. bondvagabond

bondvagabond Guest

Wow. This is kind of hard data us broke folks need to know in order to get upgrades with the most return for the dollar first, be it for power or higher mpg's. Talk about a service to the IH community. Keep it up!

9. Damian Grihalva

This truck is for sale. My email is damiang @ dandcextreme . com

$2500