MiniBuild 19 ~ Shop Travelette

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Howdee folks. I've gotten a few requests for pictures of my next shop-rig so I thought I'd post it up here.

Some of you remember my old Travelette ~ I sold it roughly 3 years ago when we needed to find a bigger house for our family. It was a great T-ette and I loved driving it. It had a 345, 5-speed, and a massive service bed to match the lift and 37" tires. 4.09 gears did decent on the highway and on the return trip coming home from picking it up, I got an astounding 12mpg without any tuning! Anyway, with its sale, we greatly improved our payments on the house, and well, I've missed it ever since.

I've toyed with buying another one, even thought about trading some work for one up north. The trade didn't work out, but after describing my plans to the owner, he kept it and completed my plans. Needless to say the T-ette looks awesome, truly a gem of an IH that more than holds it's own. A very impressive machine. However, seeing it ~ I've realized that there are allot things I LOVE about it, and some, I'd do differently.

About a year ago, I had the oppertunity to buy a 1969 Travelette from a fellow IHer for $2000. It was a steal, and the owner told me that he'd be really upset if I simply turned around and sold it for more, so I won't. Instead, I'm going to build the Travelette of my dreams.

Lets meet the new t-ette shall we?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, its a 1969 1200 Travelette 2WD. The PO says that the motor has been rebuilt recently, but it developed a transmission problem (old BorgWarner Auto) which led to it eventualy being parked. Besides getting it here on a tow-truck, I honestly haven't even tried to start it.

The inside is the 'royal blue' interior that is in surprising shape. Front seats looks good ~ except for the tears and the bubbly cushion. (no, the carton of sigs isn't mind ;) )
    [​IMG]

Back seats in fine shape.
    [​IMG]

Can't complain about the door panels.
    [​IMG]

Dash looks good too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. Damian Grihalva

PLANS

Not sure quite yet. But its either going up or down. Meaning, it'll be lifted slightly or slammed to the ground.

Either way, it's going to become a 1-ton dually. I've already got a Ford HP Dana60 (Dually) for it. The plans were to go with our XLC front link suspension with coil-overs.

As for the bed, I'm torn. I REALLY liked the service bed I had on my last T-ette. Honestly, I know they aren't the greatest of looking things, but man did it function well. Shadowman (a guy on POR) told me once that you never appericiate a service bed till you have one, and he was right. You don't.

Another guy from my Scout club (ROCKY MOUNTAIN BINDERS) showed me a 10 1/2 foot service bed on the back of his 2-Dr IH pickup and I just about had a heartattack! It WAS AWESOME! This rig, being a short-box, would need the frame and wheel base extended to fit.

The other option I have is to convert it to a long-bed. As I'm going to be converting it to a dually, I'll need to make it a DRW bed w/ flares like you see on late-model full-size 1-tons. I have a lead on a stock bed, but IH didn't make a factory dually without making it a flat-bed, so I'll have to come up with a decent way to make it a dually standard long bed. Which I've already got figured out, but not sure about how it'll end up.

Interior will be converted to Autometer gauges and completely gone through. I met a company at the SEMA show in Vegas that makes some really nice seats that, when I saw them, knew that they'd be color-matched to the planned color of this T-ette and have a nice IH logo embroidered into the headrest/backrest. Not sure if I'd simply re-do the rear seat to match or buy a second one for it, but we'll see.

The details of this build will be kept a little quiet as I don't want to surprise you all at once. Don't want any heart-attacks out there. I guess since I've haven't quite made up my mind on the finer points we'll all have to wait and see how this rig turns out in the end.

3. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

Damian, I can send you pic's of how that service tub was mini tubbed for the dually axle. The PO also fabbed a big fuel tank and added it to the bed in the front. A real pain to fill up if the truck is loaded but it solved his issues of the old fuel tanks being rotted out. I have seen other fuel tanks used even those from a school bus. Let me know if you want to see the pic's.

4. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

FYI...I found a local t-ette. I do have pic's of it as well.
    Its a 73 I think...345,5spdw/od factory air,4x4, longbed and its in pretty good shape body wise(the bed is shot) the truck would need a complete frame off to run right and the owner wants 1200.00!
    I just learned of a second on that RUNS! 345,auto,4x4 I will look at it soon(only have word of mouth so far on it) but the guy is asking 4k.
    Gotta wait and see what happens. I want to kinda do what jetfxer has done to his, just a bit differently. So if you decide on what to do to this t-ette, could you drop me a email or phone call? I might follow up and duplicate a few things your fabbing up. Thanks,Dan

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  5. Damian Grihalva

Ya sure, eh! Not to many of them though. Last time you sent me an email is was like 1 gigabyte! ;)

OH how I'd LOVE a 5-speed OD. I can find the 5-speeds w/ granny's all day, but an OD would allow me to run 5.89s in the axles!:cornfused:

Exactly. Jetfxer's rig is one SWEET IH, and is what I had planned prior down to the bumpers, but seeing it together ~ and not trying to nit-pick or downplay a terrificly built rig ~ its not EXACTLY what I was going for... Most would be subtle changes ~ others would be bigger. Not sure if I want it that 'high' per say ~ I'm going to be fitting big rims and tires on it, just don't want it to look that lifted but still carry one...I donno, if ya'll can see inside my head, it'd make more sense.

D

6. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

I like his bumpers they look cool. I just want mine to be a lot more stout looking. Different yet cool. I am unsure if I would go that high either. The t-ette I looked at today is a 392 auto 1210 4x4 with stepside bed. I am not a big stepside fan. The paint on it was decent from 10 feet but to be nice it would need some small amounts of rust fixed and some different colored paint. It currently reminds me of a jersey cow. I will send pics of the one I sold...and if I can strike a deal Ill show off the new one as well.

7. Damian Grihalva

What do they look like? Torn jeans, bandanas? I'm more familiar with Californian cows. They're happy!

8. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

I sent a couple of pic's on the RMB email with some details. Did you get the email and ignore it? It was titled "What would you guys pay?" I try to post pics on here but the high resolution camera I have and my software stupidity just can't properly interface. Feel free to do so if you like Damian.
    BTW? If you see the pic's in my post, Is the rear seat stock? I thought all t-ette rear seats folded down flat like t-all's?!

9. Damian Grihalva

No I didn't get the pictures, but if you send them too me I can resize them and send them back to you.

My last t-ette the bottom cushion lifted up (on a hinge) to make the space under the seat storage. It did not fold down like the t-all seats. But I could be wrong.

10. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

The travelette seats(70-75) are just standard pickup seats,same as the front without the carpet/material on the back.Wagonmasters have a seat that looks like a travelall back seat.
    Jeff

11. Damian Grihalva

Posting some pictures of the service bed Dan has been teasing we with... When I said big, I didn't exactly mean TALL....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can you picture that on a 4-dr. Talk about wheel base. IT'D BE AWESOME!

12. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

That would be a great one,just dont put a closed knuckle front end under it.When I converted my 74/75 combo travelette long bed to a 4x4 I used a 71 closed knuckle frontend.11 years since I did it and I still wish it would turn tighter.
    Jeff

13. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Damian,

I have that exact interior on my 69 Travelette, do you have pictures of the dash with the lower covers mounted? I have the covers but I also have switches for the roof lights which are factory as well, and the two interfere. Here are two pics right after I got it, the interior cleaned up well, the PO had left the passenger side window down for 10+ years unfortunately ruining the passenger side door panel.

Attached Files:

14. Damian Grihalva

I would never do that. Actually I've got myself a High Pinion, open knuckle, Dana 60 DUALLY front end for it already, just sitting in my side yard. Even gots the 4-piston calipers!:yes:

15. Damian Grihalva

Funny, my first T-ette has the same interior. Royal Blue is what I was told it was called. I was told it was an option. But with so many having that interior, I imagine it was a pretty popular option, kinda like having wheels. ;)
    Um, not sure. If you can tell me where you want me to take a picture, I can do that for you. But I don't know what you mean about 'lower covers' on the dash.
    I'll be strip ping (for some reason, BP software edited that out) my interior eventually. Seats, door panels, etc. If youre interested in it, let me know, this one is in pretty nice shape.

16. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

I know I would Damian. That white one I plan on getting is shot inside. And I LOVE the word FREE...hint hint...:D

17. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

I just need a passenger front door panel, I wouldn't want to break it up if reddevil gets a t-ette. If ya'll run across one, just let me know.

18. Damian Grihalva

Sounds good. I'm not going to strip the interior soon, but when I do, it'll be up for grabs.

19. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

I will keep my eyes open for a decent door panel. If you need it I give you first dibs. I will have second. But meanwhile, I will look out for one passenger side blue & white panel. :yes:

20. Damian Grihalva

Not to depart to far from the build, but I figured I'd give a small update.

As many of us are doing these days, last week my wife and I looked around to see if we could cut some $$ out of our family budget. We quickly came up with selling my 2003 Ford F250 and transfering daily driving responsibilities to the Travelette and my '84 VW mk1 GTi.

We put the F250 on craigslist and quickly found that the $8000 price tag was a hit amung the looky-lues (its about 6k less than bluebook, 2k less than the lowest bluebook). Looks like the plans for the travelette are getting thrust forward a bit.

On Friday, Matt and I took a good look at it (need to come up with a name for this build ~ No dan, I'm not going to name it 'Dan's T-ette). Trying to get a mental picture of what its going to need to come back alive. All in all, its a pretty nice truck. The interior is still a far cry from the way I want it, but it is a far cry from thrashed. Keys work, only have one ~ but when I attempted to turn it over, nothing happened.

Cracked the hood open, took a look. No battery. Drat. Then while poking around I noticed someone had taken off with the ignition coil too. Double-drat. So I guess the first thing on the list of 'to-do's is a new coil, and a new battery. The PO said that it ran when he parked it, and even started it a few times before turning it over to me, so I'm hopeful. I'll let you know what happens from there.