MiniBuild #16 ~ Steve J

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

This thread will document the build of a Scout II w/ our XLC conversion and MANY other upgrades. Stay tuned.:beer:

2. Damian Grihalva

Well, this project is going to be a long-term build. So dont get your panties in a wad :pinch: if you don't see progress every couple weeks.

Before I go any further, a big thanks to the customers who truck their scouts to me from wherever they hail from. I see scouts from all over the country ~ and from another country from time to time and its an honor to be allowed/choosen to work on your pride-n-joys. So thanks to all my customers.

That said, this build is exactly that. Steve has had this scout for a bit, and has MANY plans for it. Over the years he's done a few things, and had decided to get things moving on the 'fast track' of sorts.

1, 2 & 3) When the scout arrived, it didn't look like much, but a quick inspection showed a real solid base. This scout will be one definate head turner when completed.

4) Many parts were put inside the back, we'll sorth those out later. Right now its time to get the trans/t-case out for some fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  3. Damian Grihalva

1) Trans and T-case loaded in the truck for a little trip.

2) T-case seperated and dropped off at the builder. This one will see the TeraLow 3.15 gearset (auto), twinstick and maybe a little paint.:cool:

3) Then I made a trip up to North Denver for a little boat anchor we call an 392.

4) Hum, what can this mean?

4. Damian Grihalva

1) The old trusty engine hoist. Gotta love them for moving big peices of metal.

2) Safe in the back of the truck.

3) Kevin has a more convienent way of moving complete engines around.

4) Engine on the stand ready for some work.

5. Damian Grihalva

Speaking of Kevin. Allow me a brief introduction. Kevin is the owner of Performance Auto & Machine. We've done quite a bit of work with him in the past and he's the guy I normally trust my engines too.

1) As you may have guessed, Kevin is the local IH engine guy. Not that he is 'an' engine guy, he's an IH engine guy. Here's his DD Scout II (technically his wifes ;) ) sitting outside his shop.

2 & 3) Another shot of the scout. Not only is this a clean scout, its a recent frame-up restoration. Funny thing is, I didn't know it needed a going through ~ I mean, if you saw it before, you'd bet he already went through it.

4) Here's a shot of the belly from the front. You can see that every bolt and line in this scout is new ~ even the hard breaklines were taken out and gone through. The frame and axle are POR15'd and obviously the engine is a fresh build too. :tt1::tt1:

6. Damian Grihalva

I can't help it ~ here are some more of what Kevin does in his spare time.

Besides all the hot rods and old rides he normally has lining his shop (he's one of the bigger local HotRod builders) ~ here is another scout he's putting together. IIRC, this one is for his Son-Inlaw. Not the gem he drives to work in, but a real nice project in its own right.

There, now ya'll know who I have build engines. And by the time you finish this build, you'll also know the ability and type of work Kevin does.

To thwart any questions, Kevin's shop phone is (719) 635-7561 ~ but if you have any questions or get anything from him (like a complete motor or a rebuild kit) please be sure to tell him you saw him here, from me, doing his thing. If you do have him do anything for you, and need help shipping something, let me know ~ I may be able to help.

7. Damian Grihalva

More to come later.

8. Damian Grihalva

1) disassembly starts.

2) no valve covers

3) This is a hot tank. Unlike the 'bath' style, this does wonders on your parts. The caustic bath is heated and then shoots out of the walls like your dishwasher. The tray at the bottom rotates to make sure everything gets soaked.

4) Bella likes IH engines!

5) No manifold.

9. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

i had the 460 in my scout now done at performance auto and machine. great work and fast too.
    looking forward to this build.

10. Damian Grihalva

1) Valve train

2) No valve train

3) Another heated bath ~ this one is for aluminum parts

4) Heads off (on floor)

5) Flipped motor, oil-pan off, crank and rods

11. Damian Grihalva

1) The mark of any IH motor ~ Timing GEARS. No timing chain folks.

2) Pistons and Connecting Rods coming out. Pretty decent shape.

3) Cam coming out. Kevin took the time to point out that the lobes are still really clean and ~ what surprising, THERE. Killing cam lobes is common ~ maybe not totally gone, but definately worn down. Looks like this 392 may have been a good runner before it was pulled.

4) Crank without its buddies.

5) Crank gone :(

12. Damian Grihalva

Ya, Kevin doesn't mess around. He quoted 4 weeks on this job and he's right on schedule. I'm actually thinking he'll beat the TeraLow that's on its way!

More stuff...
    1) While Kevin was taking the engine apart, we had the caustic going. Then when we had more to put in, in they went. Holy STEAM :batman: Take a look at the valve covers, almost completely stripped after about an hour. Kevin lets stuff stay in there for the better part of a day just in case. Cool thing is that all the nuts and bolts are put in small baskets and placed in there as well ~ so everything is cleaned.

2) Heres a shot of the machinery. Those of you who know their way around a machine shop can probably pick out the tools. I'll try and get over there to take pictures as often as I can, but with so many builds going on, time is tight and you'll probably not see everything working on this build. I'll do what I can.:rockon:

13. Damian Grihalva

Moving right along...

1) After the engine itself was cleaned, it was put through the some media blast, re-cleaned to make sure nothing was left and then put into this contraption. This is a boring maching. It bores out the cylinders making a bigger bore ~ hence its name ;)

2) In this shot you can really see how well that block came out. Very nice. You can also see how the engine is braced up against a flat edge for the job.

3) The boring tool then goes straight into each cylinder opening it up as much or as little as you want it to. This block was pretty clean (as noted before) but Kevin did open it up .020" (commonly called: 'Bored 20 [twenty] over'). About the biggest you can go with these 392s is .060 (or 'Sixty over') ~ then you're limited by the size of the pistons you can get (since you need bigger pistons to go with the bigger hole).

4) Although the boring machine makes a pretty clean cut, this machine with hone the cylinder walls making them extremely smooth for the new rings.

5) In case your wondering, here's the pieces/parts from the hot tank. You can really see that they came all the way down to bare metal. Now the caustic doesn't get rid of rust, just other crap. For rust you need to put the parts through the media blaster. The surface rust you see forming on the parts is due to all the oils and any protective 'crap' being taken off them in the bath.

If you look closely, you can see the intake and exhaust manifolds in the background (right side of oil pan). These have been through the blaster and you can really tell how well that thing works. The other parts will be put through the blaster before assebly (to clean up any surface or pre-existing rust) After assembly, they'll get a fresh coat of paint to keep rust off them decades to come.

14. smjtx 72

smjtx 72 Farmall Cub

Wow! The 392 Looks great. :rockon: I am looking forward to seeing it all come together. I know it will be worth the wait. I like the idea of the Por 15 on the frame and axle’s that I saw on the yellow scout.

Thanks
    Steve J

15. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

WOW D! It's like that guy who sold you the motor was telling the truth huh? About it being a good solid motor I mean. I guess there are nice guys still out there. Just dont go an paint it pink or anything ok?!:nono::tt2::no:
    And WHERE are the updates? lol

16. Damian Grihalva

Glad you like it. What you see has been over the past few weeks ~ posting it all at once makes things look like they're moving much faster sometimes, but I hope to see the the motor completely back together by end end of March.

Ya, the motor was pretty solid. I went by Performance today to take a few more pictures and a little video and I was happy to hear that the crank didn't need much of anything to get it 100% too. Once it gets back it'll go off to get balanced with the other parts from the rotating assembly.

Definately got a good deal from my fellow RMBs.

Ha..cha...cha...cha...:gun_bandana:

17. Damian Grihalva

Well lets update this for this week. I will say that this thread will not see often updates, so if you want to keep an eye on it without continually checking it, subscribe to it (normally done when you reply to a thread).

1) Here's the block in the honing machine. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this kind of machining I will attempt to explain it.

When someone says their block was "Bore'd and Hone'd" it means that the block's cylinder diameter was opened up to a bigger size than stock. This process takes out any wear that the years of use prior to this process made in the cylinder walls.

Boring a block is a good way to open the block up quickly, but its relatively rough and unsuited for use in that condition. Honing the cylinders smooths them out. Kinda like when you use an 80 grit sanding paper to rough something into a shape, then use 200-600 grit to smooth it out. Same process but for your engine.

As we explained already, the cylinder was opened up in the 'bore' machine. now its time to smooth it out with the 'hone' machine.

2) Although the hone machine is still an abrasive process, it smooths the cylinder walls over time. Here is a close up of the hone marks left by the 'blades'.

3) Kevin uses an indicator to make sure each cylinder is the same. This machine gauges how many thousandths of an inch are being taken off the cylinder walls. Kevin uses 4 different 'blades' to achieve his final product.

4) The first is what he called '100' ~ and he hones all cylinders until they are within about .005" of the desired end. Then he switches to a finer grit and hones them to .003". Then he switches yet again to a finer 'grit' and gets them within .001" of the goal. Lastly, he switches 'grit' one last time to finish hone the cylinders super smooth.

I'm uploading a short 20 second video of the machine actually doing its job. Take a look..
    http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/mbB16hone.avi (About 6 megs)

As you can see, a generous amount of lube is literally poured into the cylinder as this machine works its 'magic'. You'll also notice that that it moves up and down though the cylinder as it works, this helps keep a totally uniform hone job. That tool you see in the attached pictures is used in several spots in the cylinder to insure the cylinder is perfectly even from 'top' to 'bottom'.

18. Damian Grihalva

1) This is the next step for the block after the honing is done. This machine will surface the deck of the block making it perfectly true. When people say you should 'Deck' your head and block to raise compression, this is the machine that does it.

2) Although this is not the 392 block, there's what the block looks like after its ground ~ or 'Decked'

3) In the mean time, the full rebuild kit came in. This kit included all new pistons, bearings, etc...

4) And don't forget a new CompCam for the 392! Vroom.

19. Damian Grihalva

Moving right along...

1) The heads are coming together nicely. Here's the head as it sits ~ I tried getting better lighting by putting it by the window, I guess I should have relied more on my camera's ability to automatically adjust!

2) New valve seats AND a fresh port job.:devil2:

3) Valves all checked out, ground and ready for installation

4) Kevin likes using the 'boat' style rocker arms located on the right/bottom. The old arms (left/top) are weaker and prone to failure and problems due to their method of manufacture ~ so we're getting rid of the one, and going with the better. ( I didn't ask, but I believe the black boxes are the new pistons. I should've asked to open them up!):whistling::oops: