MiniBuild #15 ~ Kirk A.

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Here's a start to MiniBuild #15. This will document to build of a 1969 Scout 800A with our XLC conversion and a few ( ;) ) other mods. Stay tuned, pictures coming shortly

2. Damian Grihalva

Wow. I tried to post pictures but somehow, they didn't work out. So here we go again.

Let me introduce you to one of the latest projects D&C is doing. This Scout 800A is very clean ~ and I don't know a single person that hasn't commented on it since it arrived. VERY nice shape. VERY little rust, if any.
    [​IMG]
    But before I get into what we're doing, lets get some pictures of it in its 'before' state.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In case you can't read the casting, ;) this picture is of the clean 392 it has sitting in its engine bay.:punk:
    [​IMG]

As with all Scout 80 and/or 800 builds, the first and extremely logical direction to go with is with Scout II axles. These green things came tucked in the back of the scout, and we'll be getting right to them.
    [​IMG]

But in order to keep a LONG life ahead of it, Yukon 4340 Alloy shafts w/ SuperJoints will be taking up the resposibility of transfering the 392's power to the new axles.
    [​IMG]

Yukon 4.56 gears and ARBs both front and back will also keep things moving forward in the case of slippage.
    [​IMG]

Stock Lockouts aside, Warn Premiums ready to go in.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  3. Damian Grihalva

From the word 'Go' these axles have been giving us some problems. Although they're clean and painted a fantastic green color, things were amiss inside.

The rear felt 'clunky' and then when we found we could spin the pinion without either of the drums turning, we knew something had busted inside. :no:

Luckily I had aquired a D44 rear axle that had a TON less question marks surrounding it. With 4.88s and a Spool in it, it obviously wouldn't work gearing wise, but the rear disc brakes and Warn Full Floater kit made for some serious extra beef.
    [​IMG]

4.56 gears + ARB =:yes:
    [​IMG]

Putting it all together ~ the nice thing about the Full Float kits is that you don't need to take apart the entire axle to put them together. Just slip out the shafts and presto...
    [​IMG]

Second Verse ~ same as the first.

Although the front axle wasn't broken, it was quite dirty and wore out. It took quite a bit to get it apart and although I'm not 100% sure, I think there had been some water in it since the ring and pinion gears were rusted together. Not to bad, but still, needed to get things rotating before we took it apart.
    [​IMG]

The cover tells the story. No lube, long time.
    [​IMG]

Here's the good part. Although the housing looks crappy on the inside, a little time with the powerwasher and a we were able to see no problems with the bearing journals or even the housing itself. Meaning, we can still use the housing without any ill side effects.:sweatdrop:
    [​IMG]

The brakes, on the other hand, were a totally different story all together.:drown:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not only were they rusty, one of the rotors were so worn out the venting brake pad surface was actually going into the venting. Personally, I don't ever remember seeing rotors so bad ~ at least they didn't have grooves in them!

Needless to say just about EVERYTHING up front was replaced. With a call the Mr. Scout of Eugene OR (541-688-3232) we had new rotors, wheel studs, and even a new/used hub. Napa supplied the fresh wheel bearings, loaded calipers and seals. However, those pictures haven't been uploaded from the camera yet so you'll have to wait for those...but they'll come later.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. Jake Brooks

Jake Brooks Farmall Cub

:hammer: update, update, update!:hammer:

:D Please :D

5. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Man that 800 makes it's rounds. It came from Washington I believe, then to South Carolina, now its in Nevada. That was truly one of the nicest 800s around. Hope someone keeps it up, but I am assuming it is going to get wheeled.

Here it is at the first SEBA meet in Anderson SC in June of 2004
    [​IMG]

6. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Good eye Mitch!:detective: I had no idea that is the same truck.

7. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

Anything new here? The suspense is killing me!

8. JOBIE

JOBIE Farmall Cub

Me Too!!!!!!!

9. JOBIE

JOBIE Farmall Cub

Update....update.....update...........please.

10. SoCal_Scout1

SoCal_Scout1 Farmall Cub

update please :gun_bandana:

11. Damian Grihalva

Time to fix this thread! Pictures have been restored and certain posts have been clustered together to save space. We've also moved all the pictures to our server to keep them from being lost as the last pictures were.

Anyway, picking up where we left off. The hub was thrashed, threads torn out, bolt holes ob-longed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So Mr. Scout sent us off some hubs and new rotors.
    [​IMG]

And we started putting everything back together.
    [​IMG]

This Scout will get high-steer, so flat top knuckles were installed with new ball joints. These are NOT Dana/Spicer units. These are a little more Heavy Duty and MUCH better made.
    [​IMG]

A RuffStuff diff cover will handle axle sealing duties while keeping rocks and small cars at bay!
    [​IMG]

The two axles, rebuilt and ready to go in.
    [​IMG]

12. Damian Grihalva

I know what your thinking. Axles ~ smaxles What are we going to run on these pretty things. The answer will be wrapped around some of these.
    [​IMG]

A set of 5 MickeyThompson 17" 'STREETLOCK' rims. I like these rims over the the Eagle Alloys because the holes are dramatically bigger. Really sets them off and the simulated beadlocks SCREAM: MALL CRAWLER

Opening the boxes you find:
    [​IMG]

One wanna-be beadlock ring...
    [​IMG]

Over
    [​IMG]

Mmmmm ~ pretty rims!
    [​IMG]

Getting one with the ring and the rim together.
    [​IMG]

The ring has a message too.
    [​IMG]
    "NOW AWAIT A MINUTE" you all scream, "what the heck is going on here!?!:confused:" I know, D&C doesn't build MALL CRAWLERS, and as much of a joke I thought the fake beadlocks were when they first came out, I've come to realize that the fake ring can do more than just look cool. It can be the buffer between a fairly expensive rim and a nasty sharp rock. Here's a question for you ~ what if you could replace it with a better ring? Something that will stand up to some abuse? Well, I'll let you set on that, asking you to trust old Dam this once.

But really.... Non beadlock on an extreme build? Guess again. Why have one side of the tire held to the rim, when you can have two?
    [​IMG]
    [I should have used a flash] ~ yes those are Stauns internal beadlock kits. These not only are 100% street legal, but they lock BOTH beads to the rim, insuring that the tire won't fall off, even at ZERO PSI.

What will those Staun's be holding to the rim? Some of these.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, blue-label 37" BFG Krawlers. These are the street version of BFG's competition tire. No, they aren't the MudTerrain KM2s. THEY ARE THE REAL DEAL.
    [​IMG]
    ...see, its writen right there!:tank:

13. Damian Grihalva

With that teaser. Lets get back to the build.

Shortly thereafter, the Scout was pulled into the shop for its transformation.
    [​IMG]

Front bumper removed.
    [​IMG]

Followed by the back.
    [​IMG]

Then a small lift into the air.
    [​IMG]

From the side.
    [​IMG]

Axles being taken out.
    [​IMG]

14. Damian Grihalva

Another little thing we'll be doing to Vegas ~ which by the way is what we're calling this build ~ is some new instruments.

Luckily the Scout 800 has, from the factory, standard round gauges. So all you need to do is swap out the old, for some new.
    [​IMG]
    And its a good thing, nobody likes mis-matched gauges.

The VDO 'Cockpit Royale' gauges are quite nice. Classic look, but scream performance too. The only problem is that the stock gauge cluster had limited space, and we want to put in a tachometer.

Now, there are a couple ways to add a tach. Once could mount it to the dash. You could mount it to the steering column. Or, what we did, was build a new dash skin to fit more stuff.
    [​IMG]
    This configuration not only makes good use of the dash without drilling more holes (near the speaker normally) but also incorperates 6 LED indicator lights. We use 2 green, 2 amber, 1 red, and 1 blue.

That's great for the driver side, but the 800s also have a matching glovebox door ~ so we had our machinist cut out a pair.
    [​IMG]
    [These are for sale for $120 for the PAIR, email me at customerservice@dandcextreme.com if your interested]

Test fitting the gauges in the new skin.
    [​IMG]

SO SWEET ~ gotta get a close-up!
    [​IMG]

Maybe two close ups.
    [​IMG]

Lets see that over-all again.
    [​IMG]
    :rockon:

Putting one in is simple. Simply unscrew the stock dash, and screw in the new one.
    [​IMG]

We'll finish it out later, but for now we just wanted to see how much trimming of the stock dash was needed to fit the new gauges.
    [​IMG]

Looking good.

15. Damian Grihalva

The meat of this build is the suspension work we're doing. As you know, its getting the XLC (Xtreme Link Conversion) kit. The conversion starts with some tear-down. To make working under the scout easier, we removed the exhaust from the headers back, as well as the transfercase (as we'll be replacing it and the trans later).
    [​IMG]

Then clean up of the frames. Like our popular Scout II XLC, we make form-fitting frame sleeves that will support and spreadout all the suspension loads...to attach them, the stock frame should be wire-wheeled and sanded down to bare metal.
    [​IMG]

The inside of 800 frames is pretty free from crap, but you do need to remove the stock e-brake mechanism.
    [​IMG]

It makes quite a mess. I swept a few times while doing this.
    [​IMG]

Outer frame wall almost clean.
    [​IMG]

Clean.
    [​IMG]

Then with the trans supported, we took out the trans crossmember, as well as the brackets where it attaches to the frame.
    [​IMG]

Keep it supported to make sure the motor mounts aren't destroyed while installing the suspension.
    [​IMG]

After a few hours of grinding and cleaning, I decided that the sheer amount of grit on the floor needed more that what the broom could give. So I mopped a little.
    [​IMG]

Nice and clean again.
    [​IMG]
    I realize that many of our pictures show the shop dirty. That's because I take pictures of what I'm doing while I'm doing it. I like when the shop is clean, but I'm not about to sweep after every step. I mean, what if I were to take a Scout apart without once getting some dirt on the floor ~ how realistic is that? Love it or hate it, my shop is a shop after all is said and done.:yes:

A little trivia, for those of you who watch it; Some of you know that Xtreme4x4 ~ a 'how to' TV show that airs on the Spike channel, is building an early model Scout 800. What you may not know is that D&C designed and spec'd out the suspension on that Scout! Although we wanted to have them put on a full XLC conversion, Ian (the show's host) wanted to keep it relatively 'sane' and so we spec'd the suspension to be our XLC rear 4-link with an SOA on 44044 leaf springs up front. Due to the fact Xtreme probably won't be building another Scout, the front suspension parts were aquired from another shop ~ to give air time to as many 'IH' shops as possible. My point is two-fold: First, watch the show and take a look how easy the XLC kit is to install. Check out the parts from Jeff too ~ great guy, great shop. Second, I say that to bring up the point that Vegas is going to be the first 800 to get the FULL XLC conversion ~ So keep watchin' and see it all come together.

16. green_giant1973

green_giant1973 Farmall Cub

Now that Canuk and Cringer are off to paint will we get to see more of Vegas?

I sure hope so, i want to see this baby done!!!

17. Damian Grihalva

Exactly. Hope to get things rolling on Vegas real quick while the other two are at paint.

18. Country Boy

Country Boy Farmall Cub

Can't wait to see how this one comes out.
    I'm in Sacramento and am new to scout's and have gone over all your build's you have posted from begining to end.
    This one should be cool.
    Can't wait to see more.

Hey, have you done one of the XLC kit's on a traveler yet ?
    I know where you can get one :yes:
    Anyway, nice work.

19. Country Boy

Country Boy Farmall Cub

Updates please......:hammer:

20. dashman

dashman Farmall Cub

updates? What springs rates did you use on the front coilover's for this project? What does it weigh. Just picked up the front link's from you and am rather curious what setup this one is getting and why you went with it?