MiniBuild #14 ~ Project Baja Racer

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Other odds and ends.

I didn't finish putting the sleaves into the lower arms before, so here's ya go.

I got some 3/4" OD x 1/2" ID DOM cut into small lengths to 'sleeve' the bolt holes for the lower shock mounts in back. This way the bolts will be supported over a longer distance than just the boat-arm material width.
    [​IMG]

A 1.25" tube was cut to mimick the coil-over's dimension. This was placed centered in the arm to make sure the coil-overs will not touch the arm at any time.
    [​IMG]

Both sides in.
    [​IMG]

Welded up.
    [​IMG]

On the top I had planned to do the same as the bottom, but ran out of time. After all, I Rob was going to come pick this up and any second. And I was already running behind. Luckily ~ or unluckily ~ he had some trouble with his T-ette than delayed him a few days. Still, not enough time to do these. Tom can finish that up when the racer is safe at home.

I did cut an angle out of the rear top mounts to help them look better.
    [​IMG]

I also plated the inside, between the two upper shock mount plates for strength. I used a 2" hole saw to give a curve to the end nearest the shocks.
    [​IMG]

The system with the fake shocks in place for transport.
    [​IMG]

While we were at it, we added another bar to the dash area (below the steering column). We were going to build the center consule out of some 1" tube we aquired, but quickly realized that without the shifter, we didn't want to risk putting the consule at the wrong height....plus time was EXTREMELY short by this time.
    [​IMG]

One of the many things that fought us during the last few days of the build was bad parts from ebay jerks. Tom bought these from a guy and had them sent directly to me.
    [​IMG]
    What was supposed to be small bearing GM spindles, ended up being LARGE bearing GM spindles. I called my machinist, and had the old-man come in to machine them to the right dimensions. Just one more thing!

Then, Tom accidently sent some Dana60 spindle lock nuts instead of Dana44 spindle lock nuts....They look a little big!
    [​IMG]

A quick 100mile trip to Chris Kecks place and we had some used scout spindle lock nuts (which fit, mostly)... and we even got a free set of rollers for the racer along with them. Quite a bit of $$ in gas, but hey ~ free parts finally!

2. Damian Grihalva

That got the front F1250 hubs in place for the rims...then we could roll it out the the garage...
    [​IMG]

....But not before a quick lap!
    [​IMG]

Finally, the Racer moves out of the garage to await immediate pickup.
    [​IMG]

....Coming into daylight....who'd have' thought!...
    [​IMG]

Parked....waiting....
    [​IMG]

Kids wonder why they can't see Rob? Too short?
    [​IMG]

Side picture before kicking the kids out.
    [​IMG]

No Rob today, maybe next month. At least the thunderstorms are right on time.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing like bare metal and rain!

3. Damian Grihalva

Well, the racer is mostly safe. I got 3 tarps on it making sure the rain stays away. Good news is that preceeding the chassis rolling out of the shop, we had rain every day. Since then, nothing. The scout gods smile yet again.

So if you're wondering why I didn't show up at the RMIHR this year, its because I was in a mad fury dealing with the racer. In all, over $400 in misc metal, few hundred in last-minute machining, $135 in gas, two trips to the junkyard, one to Chris's, and tons of trips to the hot rod shop, chasin parts here and there, missed paintball with a buddy who is now moved, missed the RMIHR, missed church (can you beleive it?) even shopped on Sunday! STRIKE ME DOWN!:eek:, missed a move I was supposed to be at, cancelled friday night's soft-ball game (sorry Bonnie!), and countless other odds and ends, but unless Tom convinces me otherwise, my part of the chassis is done.

Bad news is that Robs T-ette troubles required him to skip picking it up. So it sits in my front yard...waiting. It would have been nice to know ahead of time, but after getting the T-ette running, Rob went straight home to Billings MT from RMIHR. Thanks be to Gary Billings and wife Lori for giving him a place to stay, and a Scout to drive to get the parts he needed, but when all was said and done, the T-ette was still overheating when Rob and fam drove back to MT. Good news is that he's safe at home now and the T-ette is getting the repairs it needs.

The plan is to come get it more sooner than later ~ unless I can get a cool $6500 for the chassis from someone else.....

Any takers? :grinpimp: Come get it!! Its ready to go!

OH calm down Tom. :laughing: Sorry couldn't help it. :D :D Thats what you guys get for being able to come get it!!! :laughing:

Tom should be updating this thread with ongoing pictures and details that finish up the build.

4. Damian Grihalva

Oh, forgot ~ 365 official build pictures! :2guns:

5. ihjunky

ihjunky Farmall Cub

any thing new????
    has the scout made it home yet?

6. Tom Mandera

Tom Mandera Dreams of Cub Cadets

Not yet - it's been a bit of a logistics problem getting time / people / etc. arranged to get down to Colorado and haul it home.

In the meantime.. I flogged the old racer to a 1st place finish yesterday.. :)

7. Damian Grihalva

Yup. The racer will be picked up as soon as Rob can brake away from work.

Good job on the 1st place Tom.

8. Damian Grihalva

Well for those of you who followed this build 2 years ago, welcome back.

Why am I replying to this thread? I want to see updates!

9. MNorby

MNorby Farmall Cub

curious to see what happened to this too.

10. Tom Mandera

Just (finally) dropped off the reciprocating assembly at the machine shop this morning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rods weigh in at about 830g after lightening and polishing , and the piston assembly is a bit over 900g. One rod is about 45g off and there isn't enough material to remove to get it in spec, so it's being taken into account. 830g is about on par with stock BBC rods, according to the machine shop - and he was curious how much meat I had to remove - which was a BUNCH.

Like - see the pile at the top of the picture?

[​IMG]

I'll have to try weighing a few of the stock rods I still have just to know.

I'm looking for more BBC headers to experiment with if anyone has a few styles laying around - the longer the tubes the better.

The one set I have hits the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had one Maulis head flow benched and magnafluxed and found cracks at the spark plugs, but a pressure test said not to worry.

Flow specs of the Maulis prepped 345 heads with FE427 and L88 valves:
    Code:
    Race345Flow
    1 2.090
    1 28.000000
    1 0.200000
    1 0.300000
    1 0.400000
    1 0.500000
    1 0.600000
    1 0.650000
    1 99.20000
    1 150.1
    1 191.6
    1 184.3
    1 184.3
    1 183.1
    1 1.734
    1 28.000000
    1 0.200000
    1 0.300000
    1 0.400000
    1 0.500000
    1 0.600000
    1 0.650000
    1 93.6
    1 120.2
    1 135.5
    1 148.2
    1 158.0
    1 156.8

I just dropped off the other head for a test as well.

Now that I finally finished the rods, it'll get balanced next week and I can trial assemble the short block, measure deck height, then tear it all back down and have the block decked a bunch, too.

Meanwhile, I'm back to bead-blasting all of the tin so I can powder coat is all.

Once the engine is put together, I'll start worrying about the chassis - I want the engine buttoned up and in the corner before I sacrifice a bay in the shop for the chassis.

Or maybe I'll get the 9" drop out setup with the 5.83s and spool first..

11. Damian Grihalva

Thank goodness thing thing is getting some attention, can't wait to see it come together.

12. Tom Mandera

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$300 at the machine shop today..

Pistons weigh 936g
    Rings 69g

Rod (small end) 229g, Big end 613g (842g total per rod)
    Total rod + piston +ring of 1234g.

Reciprocating weight of 2,468g. Rotating weigh of 1393g.

Used a bob weight of 2627.0g (except for one off-weight rod that got a 2637.0g bob).

All balanced and ready for the trial assembly, at which point I check the deck height and then tear it back down and have the block machined down to raise the compression.

13. teenbmxer

teenbmxer Farmall Cub

Hey Tom, Hows the project coming?