MiniBuild #13 ~ Chris K

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

2. Damian Grihalva

Well, the begining pictures of the Scout are at the shop, but I figure I'd update this thread just a touch with some details. Chris has been a scout fan for quite some time and has taken his scout to various places playing with bigger and better built jeeps. He's been saving up and finally got to a point to pull the trigger on a complete suspension re-do.

What he's got now is a stock 1973 Scout II. Its got the D30/D44 axle combo w/ drum brakes and 3.31 gears :)barf:)The 304 engine is mated to a T18-wide 4-speed and a stock D20 t-case hangs out in back. About the only luxury item it came with is power steering ~ No, this scout did not come with power brakes.

First, the stock suspension and axles will be thrown to the side for some big improvements. Later model Scout II Dana44s will replace the stock axles w/ ones loaded with 4.09 gears and a trackLock (rear). The lower ratio is not the only benifet to the axles. The front will also be a D44 (replacing a D30) and stock SII disc front brakes will replace the old drums.

The Scout will get our Full Monty SOA w/ 2" SkyJacker lift springs. This includes our Reverse Shackle system, X-duty shackles, polyurethane spring and shackle bushings, Extended steel-braided brake lines, 9/16" U-bolts and X-dute spring plates, Cut-n-turned front axle, Front and Rear CV-style driveshafts made by HighAngle Driveshaft (front 12" RockCrawler slip). Chris has decided to upgrade to Kicker Shocks (for axle-wrap), and X-over Steering.

Also in the plans are a 2-row Aluminum radiator w/ new hoses, a power brake system, cage and 35" tires.

Stay tuned to see this build come about.

3. christopher

christopher Farmall Cub

hey damain, any idea on when my scout is gonna be done? i was hoping it would have been finished by now, school starts tomorrow and i'm in need of my pride and joy to get me around....

4. Damian Grihalva

Suspension work will do done by Friday, however, we need to hammer out the remainder of the little things you want done (rad, brakes, etc) ~ Were you going to provide the PS booster and MC or....?

5. christopher

christopher Farmall Cub

no sorry with the rear axle and the radiator i'm flat broke...i'll have to do it at a later time....sorry i should have told you earlier...just move forward with what you were going to do....i'll do the power brakes later.....did the radiator come in? and whats the word on that rear axle? and congrats on the baby

6. Damian Grihalva

The radiator is on its way, just talked to the builder. The scout is disassembled and is getting ready to be put back together, I'm on my way to the shop now so I'll take some pictures and post them later.

7. christopher

christopher Farmall Cub

sweeett......i cant wait to see what she looks like, but hey not sure if you got my message....i saw that you were adopting a baby,:beer: congrat, but i wanted you to know just finish the scout when you can, with everything going on i dont mind if it takes a longer then we first thought, just putting it out there.....how long do you think it will take to get the radiator built? do you have any pictures of the finish product? curious to see what it looks like.....

8. Damian Grihalva

The radiator is supposed to be on its way, I talked to Roy this morning and he said he was shipping it out. Thanks for the extra time but I still want this thing rolling by weeks end. Just one more thing done and delivered and not in the back of my mind while driving up and down Cali's I-5

9. Damian Grihalva

First things first, the stock 1973 axles were removed and mostly discarded. They had drum brakes front and back and we will be updating them to D44s from a later model scout. Here is the scout in what I call 'hoover mode' getting all its suspension cut off and waiting for the new stuff.

The last picture is all the new stuff. I made a mistake previously, these are 2.5" lift springs. Its getting new u-bolts and u-bolt plates, HighAngle CV Driveshafts, Reverse Shackle, much better shocks, poly bushings, X-duty shackles and all the little stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  10. Damian Grihalva

Every once in a while you see something on a rig that comes in that is just plain scary. This was one of those times. When we took the axles out we found that one of the front u-bolt plate was broken. Not sure how long it was broken, but you can see from the first picture that its not a recent break (no clean metal, all rusty and dirty). What makes this so scary, check out the second picture ~ as you can see there was nothing really holding the u-bolt into the u-bolt plate (remembering that its the u-bolt and u-bolt plate that hold the axles to the Scout).:death: Luckily Chris got it here in one piece, and soon will never need to worry about this again.

The remaining pictures are of the new D44s going in. Chris had 3.31 gears in the scout before, and now will have 4.09 gears. Interestingly enough, the 4.09 gears with the 35" tires wil be perfect so that he will not need to change or correct his speedometer ~ theoretically :sailor:

More coming soon.

11. christopher

christopher Farmall Cub

heck ya, the scout would look cool as a hover-car......well looks like its coming right along, thanks for the update on the pictures, lookin good

12. Damian Grihalva

Progress pics coming tomorrow.

13. christopher

christopher Farmall Cub

any progress pics yet? looking good so far:punk:

14. Damian Grihalva

Sure do. We had its on its weight yesterday to check shackle angle, and things look good. But here it is before that.

1) Rig no longer in hover mode ;)

2) Rear end going back underneath

3) RoughCountry 2.5" springs, X-duty U-bolts and U-bolt plates

4 & 5) Front suspension going back on.

15. christopher

christopher Farmall Cub

sweet that thing is gonna be huge with 35:gunsmilie: , atleast to me!
    did the radiator come in? from the front view i can see its still dripping.......

sorry about the oil spills, my scout is as bad as exxon

16. Damian Grihalva

For those of you paying attention, what's missing in those pictures that should be there.

17. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

On break again is he?:smartass:

18. Damian Grihalva

Never got off :clown: Seriously, every time I hear the phone, and can get to it, I end up in front of the computer.

19. christopher

christopher Farmall Cub

how bout shocks or kicker shocks? or even the front axle..tires?

20. Architectdave

Architectdave High Wheeler

rust? an oil leak? :hammer: