MiniBuild #12 ~ Shop Builder

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Country Boy

Country Boy Farmall Cub

Hey Damian.
    What happened to this one, are you still building it, or did you sell it.
    I'm liking the look.
    Can't wait to see more.
    By the way, I'd still like to get a number to talk about the parts for my traveler.
    till then, let's see some updates :hammer:

2. Rascus

Rascus Farmall Cub

I think he's parting it out. Believe there was another thread with him selling pieces of it.

3. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Wow. What timing. We have parted the Scout out, but there is a little detail that will prove that this build is far from over. Details to follow.

4. Damian Grihalva

Wanna see how long it takes me to DOUBLE the amount of pictures in this thread?

Last time we saw our hero it was two years ago. More or less, it was put out to pasture... You see, when I had those little mishaps up on the mountain, I had to get under it. When I got under it, I found that it was in.... well... lets just say that I couldn't possibly fix it and sell it since there were cracks in the frame.

Yes, the Scout was beat down. It serves a purpose, but a reliable rig .... I just couldn't trust it. So, broken hearted, I let it sit and looked for a new love. Okay, maybe I just didn't have much time to do anything with it.

But its time to update you. 2 years has passed, and its time to revive this thread. About a month ago, my brother finally tied the knot with his lady friend Bonnie. When that happened, the kicked the Scout off his property (Bon-bon's parents were coming into town and they didn't want the house looking like white-trash). So with a new battery, the Scout started right up and was driven to the shop.
    [​IMG]

We then started scavenging it for parts. For example, the tailgate on MiniBuild #20 used to live on this scout. Then I sent out an email on my local Scout club list saying that 'Misty Night Camo' Scout was getting scrapped, so come get what you want...and Joe showed up for some work. Bad news for Misty, he brought a truck to haul the free parts away!

Joe's doors are reported to be rusty and without working windows.... Misty's windows work great and the doors are solid. The first to go.
    [​IMG]

Some guy in Larimie WY wants a windshield or windshield frame. So.....
    [​IMG]

Joe knows he'll need a cage eventually. It was there.... He took it.
    [​IMG]

I took off the SuperScout grill to make sure it didn't get misplaced ;)
    [​IMG]

Dash pad is good, so its going to be recovered for Buddy's scout.
    [​IMG]

Then Joe I-spied the seats. He's got a bench. Wasn't sure if he wanted these S10 seats...
    [​IMG]

But figured he'd take them.... just in case.
    [​IMG]

Misty was getting pretty empty... to say the least.
    [​IMG]

Some guy up north said he wanted the end caps. But seeing there condition, we decided to take pictures and see if he still wanted them before we cut them off.
    [​IMG]

5. Damian Grihalva

The other end cap. Both have dents near them, I'm sure a little dentage on them, but still. Here's the pics. If the guy wants them, he can come get them.
    [​IMG]

With that, I jumped in, reconnected the battery and electric fuel pump, and with a jump from Joe, got comfortable in my custom seat and went to park Misty. Joe is actually manning the camera so, believe it or not, that's actually me. I know, you never see "ME" ~ but there ya go.
    [​IMG]
    You notice that camera's don't hide weight at all? Didn't think I looked like the penguin in my avatar eh? Now ya know! Ahahahahah!

The Scout looks kinda funny without anything on it....
    [​IMG]

Still turns good.
    [​IMG]

Don't hit anything....don't hit anything!
    [​IMG]

Couldn't resist.... The rear axle has a full Detroit, the 35s are in great shape....hit the gas and climbed the hill. By the time Joe got it I had come down a foot or two. Threw some mud. Lots of fun.
    [​IMG]

To help charge the dead battery, I left it running. Stood back and took a picture of the TWO Mistys'
    [​IMG]

So what's the deal with this build. Is it getting parted or what? Well, yes, and no. Misty is the name I just thought of, because I always called it 'Misty Night Camo Scout' ~ since the faded primer job would be totally camouflage if we had heavy/misty fog at night. Shorten it up a bit, and 'Misty' it is. Misty #1 is obviously the scout you've been watching get torn limb from limb.

Misty #2 is the red-head next to Misty #1
    [​IMG]

Misty #2 ~ or from now on, just plain 'Misty' ~ was a buddy of mine's until I picked it up from him. Actually, if you follow my builds, you've met him over on the Rusty Build. If not, let me introduce ya: Meet Mike:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's a Jeep guy, but his dad is a Scout guy (talk about a wayward son eh?). However, if Mike tells you the truth, the buggy you see him wheeling, is based on a Scout frame. Anyway ~ when Dad fell ill in his old age ~ and needed a 'home' ~ Misty was left behind. It had served for years as the winter grocery get'r in the mountains west of Colorado Springs. The Scout, although stock, has seen nothing but bad weather, and has the rust and dents to prove it.
    [​IMG]
    Just check out that rear quarter.

Its rough....at least, on the outside
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  6. Damian Grihalva

On the inside, however. The Scout is in near perfect shape. Check out the seats. Decent high-backs, just a little tearing.
    [​IMG]

The dash and shifters are PERFECT. Look at that dash-pad FLAWLESS!
    [​IMG]

Even the door panels are perfect. Not even speaker holes!
    [​IMG]

Needless to say, besides the body, the Scout is in really good condition. And get this. I got this scout for a measly $400 ~ Mike knows me, and offered it... I jumped on it. Better still the powertrain is in GREAT shape. I got this Scout about 2 years ago. Since that time it has been sitting (pretty much) abandon on my mom's property up north. Out in the elements, no 'winterizing' at all. Every 6-12 months, while up there for family get togethers, I would jump in it, and crank it over. About 20 seconds worth of cranking is all it needed to pump OLD gas from the tank to the carb. BANG ~ it would roar to life no matter how long it had been sitting. Blip the throttle and you were at high-idle. About 3 minutes later the choke would warm up enough and it'd pur for as long as you wanted it too. Hit the gas, there's no hesitation, even with bad gas ~ VROOOMmmm.

So now you know what's happening to Misty. Misty #1 is obviously used and abused. Not to discredit what it is, it is no Misty #2. Nor is Misty #2 what Misty #1 is. So we're taking all the good parts from Misty #1 and putting them on Misty #2. Add to that some RockerSliders, new quarters and floors, fenders and a full gallon of Silbergrau Metalic Pearl (That's the light silver metalic pearl from a NEW BMW) left over from the Canuck Build and soon you'll be one BEAUTIFUL Scout.

Stay tuned. Now that Buddy's Scout is home....Misty will be seeing her way over to Jim's shop for some body mods, then it'll be back here for Suspension and body armor.

OH, and yes, it'll be for sale when we're done.

PRESTO!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  7. Rascus

Rascus Farmall Cub

You parting out the red one as well?

How about those 35's and the front dash? My dash is new but black, that one matches.

I need to give you a call again to stop by and take a look at your shop.

8. Damian Grihalva

Nope, Red one is the one we're building up. 35s and the axles are slated to go towards the Misty build. However, my brother and I are working on this one together. So...you can make an offer on them, and I'll clear it with him. But we have some definate plans for Misty. Just not sure if we want to keep the dinky 35s or go 37s yet.

9. Rascus

Rascus Farmall Cub

No worries then on the dash. I'm not really looking on keeping her original per say.

If you're going to be around tomorrow I'd like to stop by the shop.

10. Damian Grihalva

Oh and definitely call man. I'll be at the shop tomorrow pretty much all day.

11. Damian Grihalva

I'm selling whats left of this project. If you are interested in what's left of this scout. Let me know. 20180309_173132.jpg

The high points are a good trans (tf727) and t-case (d20). AND THE AXLES
    - Rear D60 with 4.56's and Detroit Locker (scout 2 width). SOA.
    - Front D44 with 4.56's and locker. SOA. HighSteer with HD draglink and tierod.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    scout2000 likes this.