MiniBuild #12 ~ Shop Builder

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Other than spending about $150 in gas towing things around this weekend, I bought a 'new' scout:D :D :D

The body is rough, but the floors themselves are pretty solid. Seats from chevy s-10, Borgeson joint already in there, one of my 6-point cage. Some of my bumpers, Extended heavy duty shackle, SOA (no shackle reversal) and 1 inch body lift (poly mounts), D44 front cut and turned, D60 rear from travelall narrowed to scout width, 4.56 gears, Lock-rite front & Detroit rear, 35" bfg's on white stockers, medium tread left, Highsteer setup, 1.5 inch tie rod, heim joint ends, 1.25 inch drag link also heims, Custom Mark Williams High torque steel rear axle shafts. Stainless break lines, It has the 727 with Dana 20 tcase and a nifty plastic SSII grill insert

Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. Damian Grihalva

On of the first things I wanted to do is get rid of the top. Warm weather was plentiful, and there was no reason to keep it on ~ besides, it had 2 wasp nests in it from sitting for a few years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have to say, the Scout looks much better than it did when I picked it up. When I got it, it had sat for years, tires were flat and it just looked homely. Getting it 'on the road' was very positive for its over-all looks.

That said, the plans for this build is to re-make it. Although this is a pretty decent Scout, it has seen its day. Recently I was honored to be asked to design and spec the suspension for Xtreme4x4's Scout build ('09 and '10 season), and thought I'd match it on an in-house build. I have this scout, so why not use it?

That said, I obviously need to make the nice things on it, better. At times, its easier to add-on what you currently have. Other times, its better to remove and start fresh. That said, things that will be sold:

Cage ~ 6-point cage w/ CB Bars and rear diagnols. Front top 'Halo' design $400 obo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pictures above show design, it does fit under the Scout II hard top, and incorperates a 'fast-back' look.

Seats ~ S10 seats: $40 (check above pictures)

Wheels and Tires: SET OF 5 BFG 35x12.50 on White 'Wagon Wheel' rims $500

3. 69scout

69scout Farmall Cub

you going to keep this one? whats the plan with this one?..

I like it.

keep up the good work.....I and thanks for keeping up the "mini builds" although I am sure my boss hates them. :angel:

4. Damian Grihalva

Well, the PO thought it'd be best to part it out, but its a running and somewhat built scout so why? I am going to build it a little better than it is and sell it tho.

I'm going to swap the 35s for 37s. Put a couple inches of lift over what it already has. Reverse shackle it to get more wheel base. Put a new cage and seats in it. Repair the rockers (not that they are rusty (the floors and rockers and body mounts are already replaced) ~ but I want to make them a little more beefy ~ like Evo's. I've got a lead on some new quarter panels, fenders and so forth already. Then I'll rhino-line the inside and have the outside painted.
    Yeah, its a good starter.

Well ya gotta keep things rollin' somehow.

5. Damian Grihalva

Well, I haven't updated this thread yet, so why not put some new stuff in it.

The first problem we had was the carb. It was toast. So it needed replaced. I wanted something cheap, easy, and relatively simple ~ but was good for off-road. So we used a Motorcraft 2150 out of a mid 70s Ford. They came on 360-390s and work awesome off-road. They are relatively cheap compared to the crappy Holley replacements (2210) ~ and are a ton better off road. That cost about $200.

Once the rig was running, I took it around the block ~ and was immediately concerned. It sounded like a rear wheelbearing was going out, and gave a 'whoop ~ whoop' feeling.

When we pulled the rear cover, the metalic glitter in the gear fluid took us by surprise. Turns out that it wasn't the cheap and easy wheel bearings. It was the toasted carrier bearings (in the axle). DRAT! I thought.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    However, this mishap gave me the chance to go through the rear axle ~ and so we did. After disassebly, we confirmed that the gears and locker were fine, but the bearings where completely trashed. We totally cleaned out the housing, picked up a master rebuild kit with all new Timken bearings, seals, ring bolts, shims, and everything else needed to completely rebuild the rear axle ~ and went to work. Now the rear axle is as good as new and the scout drives like it.

Here's a shot of the Mark Williams Alloy shafts!
    [​IMG]

6. Damian Grihalva

Oh, shortly after getting the rear axle completed some knuckle heads came and stole the HiLift jack out of the back and then syphon'd the gas tank. Freakin' jerks. I'm just glad the gas in the tank was 2-3 years old and wasn't worth a darn. Saved me from having to syphone it out myself ~ and I was able to put new gas in it.

I did drive it to my brothers house after new gas was put in it. Made a ton of difference too! At first it stank to high heaven while running and black puffs would shoot out the exhaust, after some new gas and a 10 mile jont down the freeway, the thing woke right up, stopped stinking, and no more puffs from the exhaust. :tt1:

Its nice to drive a scout again. Should take it out wheeling soon.

7. Damian Grihalva

Well, I was supposed to take this little puppy wheeling yesterday but everyone pretty much backed out on me and then the babysitter, then my wife working and .....:gun_bandana:

I had went over to my 'lil B's' house on friday to do some maintainance, take the top off, and stuff like that, but with the everything falling apart like it did, I all I could do is drive it around my old neighborhood a bit. It was nice driving a Scout again. Even better without the top on. Now I have to get this cage sold so I can rebuild it w/ new seats and integrated seat bases. :gunsmilie:

8. multiscout

multiscout Farmall Cub

Damian,

The scout is looking good. We definately need to go wheeling so you can try it out. I won't be able to keep up with you unless I get my locker and gears installed.

Did you buy that thing in town? I'm glad you got it instead of the PO parting it. You'll make it into a nice rig. :rockon:

How's Bella doing?

Marc

9. Damian Grihalva

Bella's as well as she could be. She's out of the hospital but still barfing all over the place. :thumbs down: She was 19 pounds 3 ounces in the hospital, today at the checkup she's 17 pounds 13 ounces :eek: The normal doc was very nice and honored our requests for a chest x-ray to see if there was any blockage. No blockage, but there was a TON of gas in her intestine. Big bummer. My wife didn't see the x-ray up close (she's a nurse) but will on Monday when we get it read and the results.

As for the scout. Well, I don't think I'll get away from you too much. The Scout needs some tweeking. Let me know when you want to go out ~ I would love to have another guy with me when I'm in the middle of testing everything.

10. multiscout

multiscout Farmall Cub

Damian,

Keep up the good work. Keep us all posted on the build-up progress. Quick thought - are you going to put in some TC low gears? If so, you can double the order because I will be doing the same (more of that in the PM I just sent you.)

I just sent you a PM about maybe linking up soon to wheel up Old Stage. I forgot to add my cell so I'll insert here (499-1457).

I'll be praying for Bella.

Take Care,

Marc

11. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Farmall Cub

any idea of a ballpark final price? i know it depends a lot on the details, i'm just wondering as i'm in the market for a scout sometime in the future. :beer:

12. Damian Grihalva

By the time its done, it'll be sporting a new cage and seats ~ just like Evo's
    [​IMG]
    http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/evo/evo192.jpg
    http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/evo/evo194.jpg
    http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/evo/evo195.jpg
    I'm going to be putting new quarters and end-caps, fenders, and I already have a new soft-top for it. I'm getting rid of the 35s and going with 37s. The Rockers will be replaced with my RockerSliders (see evo's rockers) as well. I'll also be looking at putting new wiring and gauges ~ but I'm not sure if I could afford to put that much into it. However, when I'm done with it, it'll be an awesome daily-driver-slash-wheeler. The more I put in, the more it'll cost when done. So stay tuned. I know it doesn't look like much now, but when done ~ it'll be awesome.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  13. thedutchtouch

excellent. I've read through all of your builds/minibuilds that i can find and am always very impressed with your work. Hopefully my car sell before you've found a buyer, as ~7k was the budget i have for my future scout. now to work hard on getting a buyer for my SHO, before you get a buyer for this baby. I look forward to reading this thread just as i have looked forward to all the other builds.

14. thedutchtouch

sorry, havent registered yet (it's going to be my first scout "mod" ... so i can't edit... Are you planning on keeping this an auto scout? that'd be a drawback for me, but hey, it seems like it'll be a beautiful scout otherwise. anyhow, like isaid before... great thread, great work.

15. Damian Grihalva

Well keep an eye on the thread ~ you'll see this thing make a change for the better.

PM me if you will.

16. Damian Grihalva

Well, I suppose I should update this thread.

We went wheeling the other weekend ~ a nice and light shake down run to see what would break. Didn't take many pictures, but did get a couple ~ still waiting for my buddy to send them to me (on his cell phone).

Anyway, we started off going to fill up on gas and then the Scout wouldn't start. Turns out that the distributor cap was so loose and worn out, that it'd shift around about a 1/4 turn ~ even with the clips on it. We got it on straight and the scout came back to life. A little duct-tape kept it mostly in possition. With that rough start, we headed up the mountain. Scout was running pretty good ~ but seemed to need more power.

Do you ever drive your scout diagnosing what you see as problems and recommending fixes to yourself?
    "Hey, this scout doesn't seem to have the giddup and go it should. ~ Self, what do you think?"
    "Self, well you're right. I bet its that pesky distributor cap."
    "We're probably right, looks like time for a major tune up"
    "Yes, but it'd be a shame to put another peice of crap on it"
    "You're right, may have to get a DUI for this"
    "Ya!" (insert Tim Allen's "Ho ho Ho" sound from Home Improvement)

Anyway, we made it up the mountain easily. I little more gas than needed in some spots, but with a locker in the back, the rear would fish-tail out making/keeping things exciting and fun.

We got to the trail head and things kept doing well. Eric, a local buddy, lost the bolt on the side-post Optima and his truck shut down. A passer-by had a load of bolts and we found one that worked well enough w/ washers found in the scout. We were back on the road quick. Shortly thereafter, my mom's CJ7 lost the exciter wire off the altinator and she came to a halt after killing her battery. A quick re-crimp and a jump later and we were agian heading down the trail.

The scout may not have started at the gas station, but it sure was running great on the trail. We ran about 90% of the trail when the scout decided it was done. The engine came to a slow and eventual halt. I popped the hood to see if the cap had moved. Nope. Then I looked in the fuel filter ~ and there was no gas.

CRAP! I thought, this thing couldn't have possibly drank 19 gallons in as many miles! Regardless, we pured 2 in from a fuel can. Still nothing. Maybe its the angle? We towed it up the rocky climb we were on and got it to level (mostly) ground. Still nothing. Another conversation with self:
    "Self, this sucks. We've got fuel in the tank and spark at the dissy, what could be wrong"
    "Maybe there's a kink in the line"
    [looked for kinked hose]"Nope"
    "Must be the pump"
    "Crap"
    "Ya, Crap"
    "We don't have an extra fuel pump."
    "I know"
    "Crap"
    "Ya, Crap"
    After a bit of conversing with our wheeling buddies, and some of mom's snacks ~ we decided that it'd be best if we went and got a fuel pump, so we headed down the mountain leaving the scout to fend for itself.

We got down the mountain and go the pump quick enough, and decided we'd take mom's CJ back up since it was the most capable running vehicle. On the way up the mountain, however, the fan smacked the radiator and proceeded to drain fluid out. We were stuck ~ but since it was long sloped road ~ we coasted the jeep all the way back to the house were we put all our tools and parts into Eric's K5 Blazer.

By this time the sun was down, so we packed a .38 special and a 9mm just in case we ran into some wild 'animals' and headed back up the mountain. It was cold. We got up there and the scout was still there (thank goodness) and Eric and I dove right in with flashlights and tools. ....to be continued.

17. Damian Grihalva

Well, once the new pump was in, we quickly turned it over ~ expecting fuel to spurt. NOTHING! I couldn't believe it. Turned it over again. Nothing. Prime the carb, scout runs. But no gas out of the pump.

"Maybe there's a blockage ~ or someone siphon'ed out the gas?!?!" ~ I got the fuel hose and blew until we could hear bubbles. "GOOD!" Tried again. NOTHING. "Maybe we didn't install it right?" Pulled the pump, re-installed it ~ pretty brainless but we were getting desperate. Tried again, NOTHING.:mad:

Defeated, we called it a night and drove down the mountain. Got to brothers at 12 midnight, got to bed at 2. That sucked.

Bright and early Sunday morn came too quickly. But we rose and drove to the parts store. No more 'Mr. Nice Guy' ~ this scout was going to be fixed. Instead of getting another mechanical pump, we decided a electric one would work well enough. I've had problems with the 30-dollar-wonder-pump before, so I skipped those and went straight for the 100-dollar-Holley "RED" electric pump. They flow 97 gallons per whatever at a pre-set 7 PSI. The Tim Allen 'Ho ho HO!" was back and in full swing. We were going to fix this 'PUMP' problem once and for all.

Yes it was more money, but heck, I had one of these things on Snoopy and the thing was awesome ~ so lets get up the mountain and get this thing on.

Driving up the mountain the 4th time we realized we had enough of driving up the mountain. Cars couldn't have gone slower, and we could go even faster ~ if that makes sense. We got to the scout in record time. Talk about 'Trail Blazin' ~ We got out an inverter, power tools, shrink wrap, and a plethura of other whoz-its and whatz-its. First things first, find a place for the new pump. Found. Second, drill holes to mount. Done. Next, Snow.

SNOW? What the heck is the snow doing here? Sure enough, the cold got colder and Colorado's freaky weather turned from clear sky's and 60s the day before ~ to cold and snowy. Being on the mountain, the snow started falling quick, and before we knew it, we had an inch on the scout ~ the 'topless' scout.

This trail fix went from 'getting it done' to 'get it done NOW' and before the inverter cooled off, the pump was on. I stole a misc hangin wire from the cab to power the pump and before long, we had a 97-gallon-per-whatever gyser of gas flowing.

After plugging back in the fuel filter we kicked the scout over and it roared to life. "THANK GOODNESS" Eric and both Selfs exclaimed. By this time a little over an inch had settled on my driver seat. "This sucks" one self said. "Shut up and get in" the other self replied.

I will say that the heater in the scout works well. It kept the windsheild defrosted and luckily the power wire I used for the pump wasn't supplying the wipers. With 3 layers on, we were bookin' down that mountain. Thankfully, the lower we got, the less snow there was.

We came down a very swervy road a little fast. That was fun. I kept Eric in my sights but let him get far enough ahead that I could stop if he slammed into somthing. :nono: Most people saw us coming and pulled over. We had to slow way down a few times (like 5mph ~ blind turns are no fun). But we got home and things were looking good and had smiles on our faces.

I got home about 4:30 and got some dinner. Then bed.

The trip was a good one. We could have had no problems and made it a great trip, but it was a shake-down ~ and that it was. The new pump works great and never needs to be replaced. And the decission to go with a DUI was confirmed and ordered. I look forward putting that in and going back up the mountain.

The end.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  18. Damian Grihalva

After much debate, I've decided to sell the front axle on this rig. The specs are pretty simple ~ Its a Scout II Dana44 w/ 4.56 gears and locker. Axle is in fine shape and comes with HySteer and Custom built DragLink and Tierod. This axle is complete and works very well. IT HAS BEEN CUT-N-TURN'D FOR PROPER CASTER. NON-Reverse Shackle.

So if you're running stock springs without a reverse shackle system, and would like to go with a SOA ~ THIS AXLE IS FOR YOU. Please note, it already has HySteer, Upgraded Steering, is Geared and Locked, and Cut-n-turned. So its as close to a 'bolt in' as you can get. Pricing it out seperately, you'd have to pay well over $2500 for a built axle custom made for you.

Cost for this axle: $1250

Why have I decided to sell it? As noted, I'm going to be copying the suspension from the Xtreme4x4 show we spec'd earlier this year. That said, I'm changing out the stock scout leafs to 44044 Ranchos ~ they are 4" lift springs for Wagoneers. The extra lift means I have to point the pinion up more than it already is. That in turn would mean a ton of grinding on a already turned front end ~ which is more work that its saving. Starting fresh will allow less work. If your interested, please PM me.

19. Damian Grihalva

20. Damian Grihalva

Updated pictures, or should I say that I put them back in.