Midas SSII Blog

Discussion in 'SSII' started by Steve Nieman, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Steve Nieman

Steve Nieman Farmall Cub

I started a blog to document the restoration of my 1979 Midas SSII. I will update with more pictures when I find them and as the work continues. Right now it is at the body shop, hopefully won't be there too long!
    WWW.SSIIMidas.blogspot.com
    Enjoy!
    Steve

2. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

Looking good. Hope it goes well. I'll be watching.:clap:

3. 1977 SS Deuce

1977 SS Deuce Farmall Cub

cant wait to see your progress.

4. ihscoutlover

ihscoutlover High Wheeler

Steve,

Looks like you are making great progess. I will need to get in contact with you, once yours is done to arrange for my Terra to get done. Seems that both of our trucks share the same decals and paint, so if you need a picture of the original paint or decals let us know. Its looking great. I have about three of my trucks undergoing some form of reconditioning or restoration.

Jeff

5. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

I'm glad to see it went to someone who is fixing it up, and not trash it. The guy you got it from is from my town. I ask him some questions about it and wanted to see it. But he would not tell me where it was so I could go see it. And was afraid to bid on it.

I figured letting it go was better than a divorce!

And all he would tell me was the air cleaner was off and the hood left open for some time.

Keep us up to date of your progress. I would love to see how "one that got away from me in my own town turns out".

6. Steve Nieman

Steve Nieman Farmall Cub

The statement about the air cleaner being left off was 100% correct. The engine was completly seized. I had it completly taken down and magna fluxed. We have it running now, but it costs some bucks!
    The body was is in ok shape, we are in the process of fixing/replacing most of the truck.
    The important Midas parts were almost all there. As you can see in the blog I have had the seats re-foamed and upholstered, not cheap.
    Once the body work is done I can put the seats in and take it for a spin. I still need to have the snap out carpet made and the side panels.
    I don't know why Kevin didn't want you to see it, I was actually suprised how good it looked when I went to pick it up. The pictures he listed on Ebay were terrible. I thought I would never have another opportunity to buy a Midas SSII so I took a leap of faith that I could do something with it.
    So far it has been expensive, in Scout terms, but I can't wait until it is done.
    Steve

7. ihmagellan

ihmagellan Farmall Cub

What Midas specific parts are you missing? I may be able to help you out. Also, do you have original snap in carpet for patterns? I have some of it.

Jerry

8. Steve Nieman

Steve Nieman Farmall Cub

Just a quick update, the Midas body has been painted!:yes: I have updated the blog with pictures. Some of the panels look a little hazy because they are doing the final sanding. The tailgate and hood are being painted today, I will update when I get a chance to take some pictures.

9. Binder Brothers

Binder Brothers Binder Driver

The restoration looks great! What a fantastic Scout to restore. The black paint looks tremendous.

10. scoutkid

scoutkid Binder Driver

Where did you get the original Midas decals?! They look HOT!

11. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Looks good Steve!

12. Steve Nieman

Steve Nieman Farmall Cub

My paint and body guy painted the Midas stripes. He did an awesome job. Mark at Scout Madness said he could reproduce the stripes in decal form, but I decided to paint them.

13. ihmagellan

ihmagellan Farmall Cub

Were the Midas stripes originally decals? I always thought they were painted, but I've never had a Midas with original paint to base that thought on.

Jerry

14. Steve Nieman

Steve Nieman Farmall Cub

There is some debate whether the stripes are painted or decals. Jason R. told me he came accross a set of NOS Midas stripe decals a number of years ago. Tim S. just bought a Midas SSII and it only has 38,000 miles and all original. He tells me that his stripes are decals.
    If you look at the Midas brochure, it states "(Shown with optional decorative paint.)" On my truck there is yellow overspray inside the side marker light openings. The guy doing the paint job on mine, he also media blasted the truck, he is 100% sure that my truck had painted stripes.
    So I think the debate continues!

15. ihmagellan

ihmagellan Farmall Cub

On the 38,000 mile truck, is the entire stripe a decal, or does it have a white decal border with an airbrushed center?

Jerry

16. Steve Nieman

Steve Nieman Farmall Cub

Good question, I don't know. I will find out and let you know.

17. Binder Brothers

Binder Brothers Binder Driver

Hello - I have the 33k mile original paint Midas SSII and I can say for sure that the border is a decal. My brother and I have the same debate going. It looks like the whole thing is a decal, but I can't be sure. The decal area on the hood is cracked up and the cracks are uniform all the way through it, so that leads me to believe it's a decal.

The design on the brochure is a little different from mine so maybe they couldn't paint them consistently and switched to a decal. The Midas brochure did call it paint.

18. Pymntrom73

Pymntrom73 Banned

That Midas is a beast. Im surprised its not going after those other fish. How come?

19. ihscoutlover

ihscoutlover High Wheeler

Steve,

I can't wait to see it in person, it might motivate me to get mine started so we can get them both together, beings the decals and paint colors were the same. Did you go with an original paint, or just plain black? Nice work up to this point, and keep sharing. I am hoping to get to mine when the weather warms up some.

Jeff

20. Paul Morgan

Paul Morgan Banned

Looks great
    How much was the bill at the paint/body shop if you don't mind my asking
    Good luck on the rest of the build
    Looks awesome