max lift without major driveline mods

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by roadkingcat, Jan 21, 2013.

1. roadkingcat

roadkingcat Farmall Cub

I have a 77 scout 2 and want to keep driveline stock but bump up the height a bit for better stance. Also to pass strict safety inspection. Ill drive it like that till the budget allows for a major change. Thinking 2 inch body bushings and maybe 1 inch shackel lift.
    It will be mainly road use for the time being.
    Whatever I can do without getting the pinion angles past their sweet spot and having driveshaft issues such as coming apart..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

4" spring under is about max lift without having to change drive shaft lengths or going to CV shafts, but the stock shafts will just about be extended to their limits. With a manual transmission, it may be necessary to remove the wedges at the rear springs for better driveline angle to reduce vibration; it's not so important with an automatic transmission; could live like that for years depending on how extreme you wheel. No need for a cut and turn for this but, you may notice slight handling differences.
    A body lift is a different matter. No effect on driveline angle from a body lift but, lots of other corrections need to be made. Try searching the subject, you'll find volumes of pros and cons information on doing a body lift.

3. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Dreams of Cub Cadets

I would highly recomend not putting a shackle lift on the front,it will screw your steering up.You can usualy get away with 4 inch spring lift using your driveshafts,you will need different shocks and brake hoses.
    Jeff

4. Will Marsh

Will Marsh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Jeff's right. With one more caveat.

I'd replace the u-joints in the rear driveline while I was there unless they've been done recently. U-joints that have worn in for 40 years don't take a change in driveline angles very well, and it's not expensive or a lot of extra work when you're already under there.

HTH,

Will Marsh

5. roadkingcat

roadkingcat Farmall Cub

Thanks for the info Tim and Jeff, I always thought I would do a 4 inch spring lift.
    But they sound like they are a pretty harsh ride from what I've been reading.
    Spring over axle is what I will likely go with. I'll just have to do it right.