Matt's 76 Scout ...

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by 76-scout-MATT, Aug 24, 2013.

1. 76-scout-MATT

76-scout-MATT High Wheeler

trying to figure out how to dress up some old badges .... 4 year old brought me his sharpie marker kit ... viola ... red sharpie black sharpie badge resto done ... and Landon is so proud

[​IMG]

2. 76-scout-MATT

dash is in .... cant believe I remembered how ...

[​IMG]

and engine is rolled out to the front of the truck ..plywood track worked great and when it rolled off the edge I was able to lift the corner of the hoist up with a 4x4 and slide the wood back under the wheel :) ..... tues is the day for my super duper easy re-install (fingers crossed)

[​IMG]

3. 76-scout-MATT

4. 76-scout-MATT

more stuff carb just sitting ...waiting on gasket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

found top dead center ... stabbed dist and new plugs and wires (they are red)

[​IMG]

fan ... front clip ... grill starting to look like a truck

[​IMG]

sat in new radiator and looks like my upper cross member will need some massaging at one spot .... my best guess is to drill a hole and then tap the hole into the dent I want

5. 76-scout-MATT

my helper and our wrenches ... tightening down the top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 76-scout-MATT

ok been on the tech side of the forum for quite a bit lately getting things buttoned up .... time to get this part up to speed ..... tags came in the mail today ... 5 year collector plates ... it is official ... I have a running driving scout .... almost all of my needs list is completed .... now on to the wants .... and needs as they pop up .... here is a few updated pics

[​IMG]
    haha 420

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jgbrannan

jgbrannan Farmall Cub

Fantastic Scout.
    Love those plates and bumper stickers, too.

8. 76-scout-MATT

ok been working hard on side jobs all summer .... pretty much every penny made went right back into the scout ..... new front bumper and a set of kc daylighters ..... front bumper came in raw steel .... cleaned ..self etching primer and then rustoleum spray on bedliner rattle can finish .... and a fairlead roller from a friend (he wanted new shiny)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

canoe shot

[​IMG]

then came the winch ..... smittybuilt 10k waterproof winch ..... did some reading and found out that there are some weak spots .... so winch was disassembled and cleaned ... re-greased and resealed .... found most of the tutorial by searching winch name and re-grease .... I now believe that it is much better lubricated and sealed then when I bought it .... amazon 399 to the door ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kinda low profile .... I like it

[​IMG]

AND THEN THE ROCKS ...... able to commit 2 days a week for 6 weeks to make enough for my next big list item .... shoveling rocks .... I shoveled 4 to 6 tons of rock per day ... that means between 48 and 72 tons of rock got moved from point a to point b ..... 1 shovel full at a time ...... but the reward was worth it all ..... 142 lbs of beefy rear bumper from D&C extreme out of Colorado springs ....

[​IMG]

engine hoist was y paint and install helper ... same treatment as the front bumper .... cleaned self etching primer and rattle can bedliner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jerry can holder installed jack and tire about to be mounted

[​IMG]

and then just when I thought I was done for the season and had collected a few things to keep me busy over the winter (oba... headliner...interior stuff ... maybe a stereo ) ... this popped up on craigslist ........ garviin wilderness rack and all mounting hardware ...54 x 85 .... 6 inches tall ... and one of my original visions for the truck from very early on .... keep in mind this is my camping rig .... I have been watching for years to find one I could afford ..... and it could not have come at a worse time financially for me ... oh wait ..that is all the time ..... any way is pent a good chunk of my food budget for the month hoping thanksgiving will make me thru the end of the month ..... I don't regret it at all .... all re-assembled in the garage .... did not do much ... cleaned it a little and replace a few nuts ad bolts

[​IMG]

and here is a few of how it looks today ...... still over my head and beyond my capabilities ... still having a blast with the truck ...... little over 1200 miles but never more than 30 minutes from the house ... still sorta shakin down little rattles here and there ..... some of my inexperience in body and paint has begun to show thru on the rear quarters ... little bubble spots ..but that is ok .... it is after all a scout I think it misses all the rust I took from it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and thanks to this forum and its members for hand holding idiots like me .... Matt

jgbrannan likes this.
  9. eightOsix

eightOsix Binder Driver

That Scout is looking great - and practical for a camp rig. Thanks for the update.
    Now you just gotta go camping!

10. 76-scout-MATT

well i also picked up this

[​IMG]

.... plan was to put a topper on it fill it full of camping gear and go .... it needs a longer tongue and loose the stock axle for a straight trailer axle ... and on and on and I would end up with sorta what I want but bigger and heavier than I wished for and it tracks wider than the scout .... so I ditched that idea and decided money better spent would be to build a trailer in mind from scratch .... that is still the plan ... but with that cargo racks added space I could probably be real close to getting everyone and the dogs and the gear .

... but I still want a trailer

11. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I dunno, I realize it's heavier than a lot of trailers, but it has a lot going for it. Easy to find a cap for, could serve as emergency shelter in a really bad storm, same wheel bolt pattern as the Scout so one spare fits both, and leaf spring and shock suspension for those rough off roads. Maybe just extend the tongue, go with a pintle ring and match it with a pintle hitch on your receiver, and it would be a pretty go anywhere rig as long as you keep the extra width in mind. Plus it's kinda the right color!

12. 76-scout-MATT

you are absolutely right about the trailer ..... and the thing that drew me to it was the price .... 0 ... roommate heard my thoughts on a camping trailer and said " I have an old truck bed trailer in Moab you can have " ... 12 dollar pigtail for lights and 30 bucks at the tire shop and we were on our way ..

[​IMG]

.. the 6x7 foot bed has actually been harder to find a topper for than I thought .... when I do run across one they want 4 or 5 hundred bucks for it .... kinda frustrating but I keep looking .... here is my skills as a designer and cad drawing abilities .... bed is red frame is black wheels are grey and everything I thought about adding is in blue...pink circles are the attachment points for new metal.... then stock front triangle of frame would be cut off

[​IMG]

then replacing axle with trailer axle would loose considerable weight also ...... I don't have pieces and parts laying around that I can grab .... have to buy every little piece of metal I need .... it was this realization that led me to the thought of building from scratch and ending up with what I want .... truth is I know myself ..... and I could build the pickup bed trailer and it would be functional and half the cost or more savings than the trailer in my mind .... but I also could have done the same with the scout ... glad I didn't ... its not that I am cheap ...just poor ... hence three years to get the scout close to what I pictured ..... I will most likely extend the tongue and that will be it ..... it will go on great adventures and be a great little trailer .... all the while parts will be collected for the trailer in my mind ... already named by the way "The Mattmosphere"

ok enough of that ...... another thing I wanted for the scout was hood vents .... love the boat vents some of the guys have done and they sing the praises about letting heat out of the engine bay .... and while ,so far, I do not have heat issues .... I expect that next summer wheeling thru the mountains the scout would not mind a little heat release from the bay ...... had decided on boat engine vents like may I have seen until I saw an episode of fast and loud ... pikes peak episode ... 500 horsepower falcon ... he was having heat issues and did a simple oval with holes ..... thought it looked awesome ..... going in that direction myself ... I will keep you posted how it goes

[​IMG]

thanks .... Matt