Master cylinder seal?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Rick Herrera, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Rick Herrera

Rick Herrera Farmall Cub

Question about the seal thats inserted into the brake booster in which the push rod goes through, between the master cylinder and brake booster. Where can I pick one up at? Autozone and Checkers don,t carry it. The seal is off my 74' scout II and it's about an 1-1/2" to 2" in diameter. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Doug Shailor

Doug Shailor Guest

Rick,

Your subject is master cylinder seal but what you are describing is the seal in the vacuum booster.

[​IMG]

You can buy master cylinder rebuild kits that will include all the MC seals but I don't believe booster rebuild kits are readily available let alone just the shaft seal. At least I have never seen any available any where and I look at a lot of parts sources.

You are not likely to get anything in there with the MC bolted up to it. That is unless the rear seal of the MC is leaking. If that is the case the brake fluid will eventually destroy the booster. If the internal vacuum is leaking then it is time for a rebuild booster or a hydroboost to replace it.

3. Rick Herrera

Rick Herrera Farmall Cub

Well about the master cylinder leaking fluid into the booster, It did happen. I had to replace the master cylinder(new) and the booster(used) but had to reuse the old seal. It was worn out alittle and the rubber was really soft. It didn't make a good seal around the push rod. I noticed after I put everything together that the motor was running sluggish and rough so I smeared some silicone between master cylinder and booster caused I figured it was sucking in air. Sure enough, after silicone dried, motor runs 100% better but I think in time I'm gonna have a problem with brake fluid in the booster if I don't replace seal.

4. DavidWTravelallfan

DavidWTravelallfan High Wheeler

you wont get brake fluid in, That seal is only designed to keep air from leaking in around where the cylinder bolts up. Brake fluid is sealed out by the seals or 0 rings in the master cylinder.

5. Vancopbs

Vancopbs Farmall Cub

Call me, I'll send ya one.

6. EricHinds

EricHinds Farmall Cub

Hey Rick, did you ever find a place to purchase that seal between the MC and the booster?.. I just pulled my MC and noticed that mine is completely gone and it's been causing a massive vacuume leak..

7. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

Eric Did you ever find this seal?
    I am having this same problem with my 78 Scout. I have a vacuum leak where the push rod come out of the front of the booster. I am having trouble finding this seal online anywhere. Is there a similar GM, Ford or Chrysler part that can be used?

8. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

I'd simply replace the whole booster. Not too expensive and an easy fix. AutoZone had one for me.

scout2000 likes this.
  9. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

+1

If you have a unique/oddball booster, rebuild kits are available. I (unfortunately) had to go down that path once.

I think that the most amazing thing from your post is that (your) AutoZone, not only knew what an International was, but was able to get a part for one. I don't even try anymore at the ones in my local area.

10. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

As luck would have it, my wife works there, and one of their managers used to drive a Terra. Everyone at the local store knows what a Scout is. I went to the local Advanced a couple weeks ago for valve cover gaskets, and the poor kid tried to sell me a set for a small block chivvy... Ewwww.

scout2000 likes this.
  11. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I'm going to label you as a "blessed man", with a wife who works at a knowledgeable auto parts store.

My hat is off to you !