MA1500 upgrade axles

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by tinker, Dec 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

I have a 1967 aluminum 1500 metro . The king pins are loose and now it gets death wobbles! Wheels are lock ring and tired old. I haven't looked at the condition of the brake drums. Last time I looked i had trouble finding the king pins. So I would like to swap in some more modern axles. Front is a FA28 U beam and rear a RA20. I think 4000 lb front and 10,000 rear. I don't know the width at the moment.or the ratio.
    Can anyone recommend what to look for in donor trucks and anything to lookout for when shopping for axles?
    Thanks in advance.
    Danny

2. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

Danny,
    I've got a 64 1500 truck... Kingpin kits are available for the FA28; they're the same as for a 73 1210/1310 FA12 axle (Moog 8389B, $45.79 from RockAuto). The 1500 (trucks anyway) typically either have 7.50 x 17 tires or 7.50 x 20 tires; both with lock rings. I scored on a set of motorhome wheels that had the same 5-hole Budd bolt pattern, and are 19.5 tubeless wheels. Finding used wheels is kinda hard, but there are a couple of places that can make new rims. I don't know the cost...
    I've pondered changing axles; thinking maybe a Ford F-450 or 550 might be a good start. I haven't done any research on the width or mounting dimensions.
    Good luck with your Metro. Merry Christmas, Mike

3. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

Mike, thanks for the useful information. That's great, I'll order those parts so I can get back on the road. Did you have to team the bushings after pressing in?
    I thought about f450 or 550 excels. I don't know if the donor would have to be from a step van in order to get the right width.
    Merry Christmas to you too.

4. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

Danny, I don't know if you could get away with not reaming them or not... I took my axle to a local truck shop to have them do the kingpins and make some new spring u-bolts. Good luck, Mike