M-2-4 with M5H6 cab and top.

Discussion in 'IHC Military Vehicles' started by Dave Ball, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

Paul I know you mentioned putting a M5 M3 top on your M2 so I thought I would share a couple pictures of a truck I ran across in Hawaii which now lives in Washington State.
    I have all the parts to build one of these.
    The only alteration is to the back lower corners of the cab and the addition of the cab rear cross member from and M5 or M3.
    Then you get doors and a top plus a bench seat. Which for those missing M2 seats is a nice addition. I will add so.e pictures soon

2. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

3. George Yingst

George Yingst Farmall Cub

That is a very nice ride. Again makes me wish I hadn't sold mine. But its taking me forever to get anything done it seems, so maybe its best it went to another home where it might get back on the road.

4. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

Hi George
    I have been changing my direction to picking one thing and working on that and only that.
    Turns out my biggest problem was I would get side tracked when something new fell into my lap. So far durring 2019 I have sold more than I bought and I have been selling parts that I had squirreled away and some of them were very difficult to watch drive away. My Power Wagon was tough.
    On the upside I have more room and now understand what the phrase "I am getting out from under it" means.
    Sometimes I literally feel like an air traffic controller at rush hour juggling what's next or trying to do three things at once.
    The thing with going all different directions is you feel like you are not making progress.
    Thruth is you probably are it's just not happening fast enough.
    As long as you are having fun it's all good.
    Just drive it!!!

Dave

youric likes this.
  5. youric

youric Farmall Cub

Glad to hear it, Dave!

6. George Yingst

Yes Dave, I agree if you are having fun, who cares. As I get older, some of the fun is seeming to escape it seems.
    And yes, I am getting things done. Just not quite what I have envisioned most of the time.
    I too have way too many irons in the fire and run from one to the other trying to keep my head above water. I did sell a couple last summer and so far really don't miss them much. I need to sell many more and get to parting out a bunch of this crap that I only brought in for pieces. If the price of scrap would come up some, I'd feel more like cutting but the price is in the toilet. Doesn't help that 4-6 months of the year its too miserable to work in the yard.
    Amazingly I tend to be happier when I'm selling than buying anymore.
    I'm just glad that we have some young guys like "youric" coming along that have the desire to keep this stuff alive.
    With all that said, I'm back to working in the shop for the winter on my WC12 Dodge. If I can keep at it and the weather doesn't get too ugly, it should be close to done by spring. I'm down to rebuilding the bed for it.
    I hate winter...

7. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

It's funny the guys that get the snow and bitter cold cant work in the winter and the guys like me cant work in the spring and summer because of the 100+ heat.
    There has to be a place where its 71 degrees and sunny everyday that old guys can go to work on the old iron comfortably that's affordable and has no politicians or crime.
    Seems like everywhere is getting creamed by exported Californians. I live here and have been looking everywhere else. Seems like all the places I like the wrong Californians are moving into like Arizona, Oregon and even Idaho. So where do I go that's got great weather and low or no taxes and none of the wrong thinkers. I have to many friends that moved to Austin Texas that have said it seems just like California now.
    So where is the weather great and Freedom still real and there is not almost one dollar in tax on every gallon of fuel?
    I keep coming back to what the good witch said. "there is no place like home".
    But then I wake up in California.
    The land were they burn you out then turn your power off and still send you a bill.
    Plus they have the nerve to increase the fees.
    Sorry for the rant
    Dave

8. George Yingst

I believe you have just described Shangrilla. (no idea how its really spelled)
    If you should find it, let me know. I'll move in next door to you and we can have a barbecue and work on stuff.
    Washington is bad enough, I could not take California.
    With that said, I suppose I should quit hijacking this thread and get back to work.
    Later...

9. Paul Thekan

Paul Thekan Farmall Cub

Dave..Thanks very much for posting those pics !! Before I got my truck I had remembered seeing the pic you posted , the side view with the AB-15 ant base and small palms in the background, and recognized the top as the one I had bought years earlier and thought when I get a M-2-4 Id like to put that op on. I wanted to find that pic again and see how they mounted it on the truck.
    Well.....what an eye opener now...that I did not pick up way back then with the cab modified now having the M3/5 cab additions . I feel pretty stupid now. My truck is very stock and I wouldn't think of doing that mod and even if I could it wouldn't work as mine is the 12 v with the larger battery cover. The owner that did that conversion looks to have done a great job and I really like it!!If mine was the 6v and it not good shape I would pursue doing that change as it really looks sharp...to me anyway. I'll see what I can up with that doesn't look hokey to get the top on mine and if not move the top onto someone that has the M5/3 that can use it or someone attempting to that conversion on a M-2-4.
    The plan for my truck was to get radio gear mounted in the back as I saw in a pic of such a set up on one of the islands. It had the TCM xmtr and RAS rcvr mounted in the back. I want to add a TCS xmtr/rcvr in there too. It had a 1 ton trailer that had either a PE-95 or P75 gen set in the trailer. Cant remember and have not been able to come across that pic again. I saw it while wasting my free period time in the library in High School 50 yrs ago looking at the war issues of LOOK and LIFE magazines as well as books on WW2. Thanks again Dave for your help, its very much appreciated.
    Paul
    N6FEG

10. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

Hi Paul beach master M2's were full of radio gear and some even loud speakers.
    Lots of RCA and Collins stuff same as the LVT's back then.
    If you decide to sell your top let me know.

Happy holidays

Dave

11. Paul Thekan

Paul Thekan Farmall Cub

Hi Dave
    I will let you know on what I decide with the top. You have first dib's on it. Don't know what radios were on the M2 beach masters but would venture a guess as maybe the TCS and MAR radios.
    Thanks again for your help on this.
    Best Regards
    Paul

12. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

Sounds good Paul if you want to do some trading g I have a MAR reciever NOS with the manual...
    Have a great Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year