M 2.4 and M5 H6 WWII Pictures

Discussion in 'IHC Military Vehicles' started by pakopakis, Nov 22, 2010.

1. pakopakis

pakopakis Binder Driver

IHC and WWII Movie. Originals photos.

Photo N°1; 5 M2 -4 and a Marmon Herrington on the Background.A glorius tribute to americas first line and the women who inspire them "MARINE RAIDERS. 1944
    Director: Harold D Shuster
    writers : Martin Rackin,Warren Duff
    staring: Pat O Brien,Robert Ryan,Rutt Hassey...........With the participation of the US Marine Corps.

Photos N°2; M2 -4 and M5 -6 on Parade "FROM THE HALLS OF MONTEZUMA".
    Here come The Devile-Dogs! mighty battalions whose inspiring history was been one continuous chapter of gallantry in peace........ and courage in war!
    "SALUTE TO THE MARINES" 1943
    Director: S Sylvan Simon
    Writers : Robert Hardy Andrews,Wells Root
    Staring: wallace Beery,fay Bainter,Reginald Owen.......With the participation of the US Marine
    Corps.

Future pictures Seabees on Guam.

Attached Files:

2. Dave K.

Dave K. Farmall Cub

Thanks for the additional image of the Slat, very nice.

Okay, here's a challenge for you. Many moons ago I watched a show on the History Channel--back before it pimped itself to crappy shows like Pawn Stars and such--and it was about Guadalcanal. In that show there was actually a brief clip of an M-1-4 running through the jungle/mud. I have little else to go on. Anyone remember this piece? Would love to see that clip again....

3. pakopakis

pakopakis Binder Driver

Hello dave
    I take the chalange:)
    Give me you mail by private message i have a nice picture for you with an M1.4 on the canal.
    Regards.
    Pako.

4. pakopakis

pakopakis Binder Driver

No info about the battalion.
    Seabees on Guam WWII.:)
    Regards.
    Pako.

Attached Files:

5. denubilo

denubilo Farmall Cub

Nice pics even though no M-2's!!!
    Thanks Pack

6. pakopakis

pakopakis Binder Driver

Hello Paul
    5th Marine Division M2-4 On Sasebo 1945.
    I waiting a lot of photos from NARA i contact you when i get it.
    pako

Attached Files:

7. denubilo

denubilo Farmall Cub

Thank you Pak This one shows I mounted my mirror wrong!

8. Colin Rush

Colin Rush Man of Voive Staff Member Moderator

Post-War M-5H-6

The Cary Fire Department of Wake County, North Carolina, back when they were still a volunteer unit, built a tractor-drawn tanker in 1954 using an International M-5H-6 truck. The capacity was 4,500 gallons. While responding to a rekindled trash fire near the Camp Polk prison farm near Meredith College on 16 June 1960, the tanker overturned when turning from "US-1 onto a side road running between Meredith College property and the State College animal husbandry farm" reported the June 16 edition of The Raleigh Times. Both firefighters were thrown from cab. Vernon Lee Thompson, 28, died, pinned under cab, after gasoline leaking from fuel tank under seat was apparently ignited by electrical short. Willis Edward (Billy) Henderson, 32, was injured and admitted to Rex Hospital for "cuts, bruises, and shocks" reported the June 17 edition of The News and Observer. Raleigh firefighters and rescue workers spent nearly two hours recovering Thompson's body from the burning vehicle. The first wrecker sent to the scene was unable to raise the truck and a larger was called and able to lift the cab enough for the body to be removed. Both Thompson and Henderson were state employees working at Camp Polk prison farm and were en route to extinguish the trash fire near the prison dump, a rekindling of a fire from the night before. Henderson was quoted as saying "he was driving about 15 miles an hour" when he turned onto the side road. Pavement markings were left "for about 120 feet," caused not by "skid marks but pressure marks caused by the heavy truck's being slowed." The open cab of the tractor-drawn tanker was destroyed. Vehicle was insured but fire officials said they didn't intend to replace the truck, because "It's an old truck."

Attached Files:

• cfd.jpg
      cfd.jpg
      File size:
      97.8 KB
      Views:
  9. George Yingst

George Yingst Farmall Cub

Colin:
    Sad not only for the loss of life but the truck was a beauty as well. I nearly watched a volunteer dept roll a 5ton going too fast on a corner a few years back. Rather a sick feeling to watch.
    George

10. Dave Ball

Dave Ball High Wheeler

That's a pretty good size water tank for a M-5H-6 to turn in any condition faster than a crawl worse case would be a sweeping left turn on a down hill off camber corner. Not sure of the circumstances of the accident but any day a firemen loses his life is a bad day RIP. I will say for anyone with one of these trucks. These trucks are not meant to haul *** down the road they are slow to stop and if you add that much weight and then slam on the brakes and crank the wheel into a turn your done. 15MPH is 35% of the max governed speed that these trucks top out at. Basically I am saying the trailer was pushing that truck or I should say 36000 pounds plus was pushing that truck. My M-5H-6 is retired the most it will carry is my butt and an ice chest. I know to treat every corner like it has a stop sign. Brake long before you get there, Stop, Shift Down and then proceed to turn when its safe. I have found driving my M5 around the neighborhood that the biggest threat to my safety and others is the people passing me and wanting to get my attention to give me a thumbs up. When you drive an M5 in traffic it is a little work, I go from second to third then fourth just to get up to 35mph you have to keep your head outside and in the game and your hands and feet moving then long before you get to the next stop it all goes in reverse and you pull it out of fourth rev it up get it back into second and get on the brakes. Then back to work. Farm roads are where the fun is at long open stretches of course not many around here. Hills are not for a novice and that's all I will say about that. I love these trucks and I love the machine its like a big piece of farm equipment, you get into a rhythm working it, checking the gauges, listening to the power plant and gear boxes, the snick-snick sound when the gears mesh just right, the stick in your hand giving you that just right feed back transmitted to your palm as you feel the gears mesh and testing the brakes a half mile from the next stop, the M5's rumble is like nothing else I have ever driven very visceral. Off road it almost brings a tear to your eye when you pull up to the base of big hill and all the jeepers get out to watch and you confidently smile and shift this truck into low 6x6 and let the clutch out and climb a big dirt grade at 2 mph cresting the top with ease and lots of power left makes some sounds not often heard anymore.
    You automatically want to do it again like a kid riding the first time on the biggest roller coaster ever seen.
    So you do it again.:D

youric likes this.
  11. pakopakis

pakopakis Binder Driver

Hello Paul an other with more détails
    China 1945 6th marine division

Attached Files:

12. denubilo

denubilo Farmall Cub

An M-2-4 with no blackout lites???

13. pakopakis

pakopakis Binder Driver

He Paul .I have one picture,but leave me some time for find it .
    Pako

14. pakopakis

pakopakis Binder Driver

Paul
    Seabees on Peleliu 1944.
    Cool pictures.
    Pako

Attached Files:

15. pakopakis

pakopakis Binder Driver

Paul an other one with the same blackout.
    USMC M2.4 on Bougainville.

Attached Files:

16. denubilo

denubilo Farmall Cub

Thank you Pak.
    My comment on the M-2 in China is that it had no blackout lites. First time I had seen that!

17. pakopakis

pakopakis Binder Driver

Paul i just find the other photo with no blackout lites.
    The war is over when those pictures are shots. In fact that's the same truck in China 1945.
    this truck is a veteran , look the Dodge or GMC seat. The lites are probably from the same truck GMC or.....
    6th marine division China 1945;

Attached Files:

18. denubilo

denubilo Farmall Cub

Thank you Pak!! You are a font of information!!
    That pic reminded me I have to change the way my mirror is mounted.

19. pakopakis

pakopakis Binder Driver

Cool Paul
    I waiting for greats M2.4 pictures from different sources.
    I will send you by private mail when i get it.
    Pako

20. Wilson

Wilson Farmall Cub

I ran accross some cool little video clips in color I thought you guys might enjoy.

Okinawa Mud: M-2-4 and M-5H-6 (?)
    http://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...muddy-road_stuck-truck_jeeps-move-through-mud

More Fun in the Okinawa Mud: M-2-4 and M-5H-6
    http://www.criticalpast.com/video/6..._M-29C-amphibious-cargo-carrier_trucks-moving

M-2-4 Rocket Trucks on Okinawa: Shoot and Scoot
    http://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...s_rockets-loaded-into-launchers_rockets-fired

More M-2-4 Rocket Trucks on Okinawa
    http://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...n_rocket-carrying-truck-battery_rockets-fired

Loading M-2-4 Rocket Launchers on Okinawa (starts at 1:14)
    http://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...t_artillery-shells-fired_Marines-fuse-rockets