LS Swap Regret

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by YankeeWhite, Oct 2, 2019.

1. YankeeWhite

YankeeWhite Farmall Cub

Update, mounts, tranny and transfer kit came today. No tracking number, just a big box. Pretty beat up sitting on my porch, one corner open enough to see the mounts inside. Luckily there are thick steel, a sticker was punctured. Hopefully @JoshBrewt gets your stuff too.

JoshBrewt likes this.
  2. JoshBrewt

JoshBrewt Farmall Cub

Awesome!!

Thank plenty of pics (I need the motivation lol) and my stuff shipped today....should be here tuesday of next week.

3. Gordon Pomp

Gordon Pomp Farmall Cub

This is all good information to hear. I am going the route of the 6.2l e rod engine because I live in California and it is smog legal. 430hp certainly helps as well. I have purchased a few AS parts over the years for my 78 scout and I have never been disappointed with the quality so the engine swap parts I’m sure will be great.

4. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

There are aftermarket brackets to add PS to a Gen V. The new 2020 HD will get a 6.6L which will have Ls style pump (center mount) and PS so that wil give options when those parts hit the parts house. The direct injection is nice make decent power on 87 gas vs an LS like the LS3 need good gas 91 min to make rated power.

scout2000 likes this.
  5. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Mr. Wooten's awesome tutorial/how-to on electric steering aside, I went to the Good Guys car show this year, and saw electric steering options that truly blow away anything you might pull out of your local junk yard. I know that BO185 made the comments about 3rd party brackets for conventional PS, but I'm definitely interested in exploring the electric steering stuff, the next time that the opportunity arises.

6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Theres a LS swap on U-tube. " 345 big cam " is the heading.

7. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Electric steering is ok its the lack ps for hydroboost which is the issue. That said You can get 12v PS pumps too could use it to run HB setup. But once start adding 12v stuff would want larger alt as it starts to add up.

Also the gen V tmotors won’t make good vacuum under certain conditions hence why they use a vacuum pump. The cars have electric vaccum pump for brakes. Mostly is to do with AFM.

8. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

FYI, I have only 2.5" lift on my SII, and I would say a SYE would be a necessity on ANY NP241 swap. I had to shorten my rear DS 5-1/8". Without the SYE (JB Conversion) it would have left me lopping off over 13"....which would have left me with a 2' DS and WAY too steep u-joint angles. (well, maybe longer than 2', but you get the point :laugh: ) The other thing an SYE does is it allows you to remove the rear DS on a trail (if anything aft of the TC breaks ie. diff, DS, u-joints) without the TC fluid all leaking out. That way you could hopefully make it out with front wheel drive.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  9. YankeeWhite

YankeeWhite Farmall Cub

I've decided to go with the SYE, rebuild the 241 while I'm at it. I've stopped working on it until after the holiday so it's easier spreading the money out.