Loadstar 1600

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by a.graham52, Jun 16, 2019.

1. a.graham52

a.graham52 Farmall Cub

I'm looking at getting a 72 loadstar 1600. Its a horse hauler (small box truck) and I want to convert it into a camper. Far as I know it's got a gas engine in it and a 4spd with. 2spd rear. Is this a crazy idea or is the chassis something I can work with? Where would I go for common parts like brakes and drivetrain parts? received_1412647502207611.jpeg

2. George Yingst

George Yingst Farmall Cub

It would certainly be unique. Common parts are available at NAPA or most any major auto parts chain.
    Generally 60 mph is pushing it in one so hope you are not in any hurry to get anywhere. It will be a gas engine for sure with either a 4 or 5 speed.
    Guess if you can clean out the back to your satisfaction after being a horse hauler to make it livable, then its all up to you.
    Looks like a neet rig anyways.

3. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

What state would you be registering it in, and would it need any special inspection, registration or insurance if the inside were significantly changed? Might be worth looking into that, and getting it repaired and restored first, then registered, then converted as necessary, if that would be easier and less hassle. Looks like it would be an interesting project.

4. simolarido

simolarido Farmall Cub

f that would be easier and less hassle. Looks like it would be an interesting project.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  5. sdhachey

sdhachey Farmall Cub

Pretty sure this is the same truck that I now own... Maybe the farm had more than one, I don't know.