Lil' Pink Scout

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by Monte Lauer, May 17, 2008.

1. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

After the 2007 mud drag season my wife decided she was done driving my trail scout in the powder puff heats. She wanted her own vehicle and she wanted to race in the main event.

[​IMG]

So I started looking and came up with this $400 1977 Scout II.

[​IMG]

I started brain storming and the wheels slowly started turning. I had aquired a Dodge 440 earlier in the year and I figured it could be transplanted into a scout. After talking to Mike Mayben he confirmed that he had mated a few IH tailshafts and dana 20's to Mopar 727's. Since the scout already had 4" superlift springs I decided to really get crazy and do a spring over for an extra 4". I found a smoking deal on some 38.5 boggers so the extra 4" was a must.

I then reasoned that if I was going to raise a scout that high it should be wider. I new where I could get some 3/4 ton dodge axles with 4.10's and they were already sprung over. They had previously been hung in a scout, but had since been left to rust in my buddies back yard. I quickly took possesion and figured it was time to get started.

2. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

I knew I couldn't do this alone, so I enlisted the help of Terry Davidson. He was more than willing to help a fellow binder nut. So after I pulled the 345 and transmission, I loaded up the scout and axles and headed to his place.

[​IMG]

For those of you who don't know Terry, he has the ultimate set of tools and he let me use them. :boat: We put the scout on the lift and soon the old dana 44's were gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we wrestled the full size dodge axles under it and went to work moving springs and hangers.

[​IMG]

3. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

While things were progressing well with the axle swap I made a trip south to Leaburg to visit Mike Mayben and deliver a few trannies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike had agreed to build my hybrid transmission, but what he was really excited about was that I was using a Mopar 727 motorhome tranny. For those of you who don't know the significance of this check out this thread. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80744 Anyhow, when Mike is done rebuilding my motorhome tranny he is mating it with an IH 727 tailshaft and dana 20 transfercase.

4. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

With the transmissions delivered it was time to get back to work on the axle swap. Once the axles were in place it was time to consult Dan from TracTractor Offroad. It was time to figure out the steering and I was clueless. He made a few suggestions and here it is.

[​IMG]

I will admit it is not quite the way he would have done it, but he pointed me in the general direction.

This is how she sits now. I still have alot to do and the first race is only a month away.

[​IMG]

5. Drew Merrick

Drew Merrick Farmall Cub

Monte,

I am glad you finally posted this. Its nice to know you can walk under your scout without ducking down at all for some nice shade during these hot summer days :sweatdrop:.

I can't wait to see her in action. That is going to be loads of fun! Thanks for all the help you have given me as well.

6. StuartTX

StuartTX Farmall Cub

That looked pretty nice for $400!!! It looks even better with those boggers! Nice build.

7. terryd

terryd Binder Driver

LOOKS GOOD MONTE!

When does the engine install begin? maybe I'll stop by, get in the way, and check out the progress.
    You'll have to explain the pink camo thing...:whistling:

8. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

Thanks for the comments everyone. Drew you are welcome. Terry you can come by and help anytime. Without your help I would never be this far along. The scout is moving this week to another shop where the transmission and the 440 will be installed. As far as the pink camo, that was not my choosing. The wife said that was what she wanted and she usually gets what she wants. I came home tonight and found her in the garage doing body work. She had even busted out the body hammers and was pounding away. :yes:

[​IMG]

I did a little work on it today as well. I removed the grill and core support to make it easier for the install. I removed the external lights and cleaned up the engine compartment. I started stripping the dash and removing all non essential items. This rig will never be driven on the street again, so anything that can go will go. More to come later.

[​IMG]

9. Mark Ashford

Mark Ashford Moderator.. or something Staff Member Moderator

Dan suggested that steering set-up??? That surprised me. Unless he used some super zoot material for the tie-rod I see some bendage in your future. That draglink already has a little wow to it (I suspect deliberate) that would be a failure point as well.

Surprised he didn't recommend high-steer.

Looks good otherwise, nice work. Clean looking truck for $400 as well :cool:

10. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

Dan suggested high steer, but I was using dodge axles. When you get right down to it I am on a tight budget and this set up was what I could afford. This vehicle is going to be running straight through two feet of mud, not making sudden turns or crawling over rocks. It will never see street use again. Hopefully the 1 1/4 x .250 DOM will hold up for awhile. You can't fault Dan, he told me it wouldn't last forever. Given the right amount of $$$$ we could've done better, but as I mentioned earlier it wasn't the way he would've done it. He just pointed me in the general direction.

11. Chad Maycroft

Chad Maycroft Farmall Cub

Worst tie rod bend I have ever gotten was slamming into a mud hole. I would put some kind of gusseting or something on the drag link at least. I would think the bump steer caused by that drag link angle would make it near impossible to hang on to. I know those mud pits aren't smooth they tend to have a rut or two in them. If I was strapping my wife in that thing I would think about that steering set up a little more. Just my .02 Either way it looks like a lot of fun in the making.

12. terryd

terryd Binder Driver

Steering upgrades are on the list, I believe, first he needs a suitable flat top knuckle for the right side, but with a deadline looming...

13. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

Yes, I wasn't thrilled with that set up. I provided my input and let Monty do what he wanted. High steer would have been ideal, its on the list. I think the .25 wall DOM will hold up a few races till the high steer goes on. Bump steer will be incredible though. No getting around that.

14. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

There will be many upgrades as time and money allow. High steer, roll cage, racing seats, etc...

15. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Dam it's nice ta see what kinda pile I jumped in! And it don't look NEAR as bad as what I figgrd!

And I think yore momma needs ta do some tradeouts on grubbin' paint off MY momma's S80 since she likes bodywork so much! And Kathy has already chosen pink camo pattern too...maybe we rattlecan 'em ta match?

If ya cross both laigs, ya may see that tranny Wednesday, if ya only cross one laig, ya won't see it til Thursday!

I got all yore stuff on tha bench now except the output gear. That was a problema to find, Dave snaked it outta the largest tranny gear supplier in the U.S. after about 4 hours of jawwin' with his contacts, it's coming out of their east coast warehouse overnight and they buy used (and new) inventory across the U.S. everyday. They now know that we are BUYERS for what they can find. It is used but indistinguishable from new so the warehouse manager sez and if we don't agree, then we send it back on HIZ nickle.

Ya DO NOT wanna know tha cost, I'll just pad tha invoice with 50 quarts of Dexron III and tell ya it's free. Call me agin when it's convenient and I'll update ya...in the meantime, ya need ta pull tha azzend off that other tranny and pull tha bull...I need ya to DESCRIBE the condition so's we can determine "which" gear to use and then I'll check it out when I git there. I can repair the gear we got now..., but I don't wanna put the time into that if we use the rightcoast gear on it's way to us.

If you do NOT want the "new" used gear, then I'll take keep it, no biggee,...I'm exactly ONE bull gear short myself for a SII tranny build up for the inventory.

16. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

Ok, so I talked to my good buddy down south, Mike Mayben. He assures me the transmission will be here just in time for the three day weekend. You know he is easier to talk to on the phone, I can't ever figure out what he is saying when he post things here on the BB. I think they spell things differently where he is from.

17. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Monte only crossed one laig...so the tranny will be deelivrd tomorrow nite in time for GRUB...I'm purdee guud at plannin' drivebys at tha supper hour!

This was by far tha nasteemost 727 I ever seen inside! But she looks better'n new now (at least in the gutz category).

Here's a few "before pics" and "in process" pics...

Attached Files:

18. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Here's tha "after" pics....

Monte will get full documentation on this tranny build including a CD with about 75 jpegs showing the evolution.

And before all you 727 posers out there in BBland start jawwin' about that filter...it's a Trans-Go BRASS (cleanable) filter...super high flow. Comes in all their TF-2 and TF-3 shift improver kits, the ONLY system to use inna 727.

And...the surface treatment is what I call RatRod...but it'll git painted camopink too so that tha powertrain matches the shinee side o' tha rig! The oil pump is sealed in Glyptol.

Attached Files:

19. Monte Lauer

Monte Lauer Farmall Cub

Ok so the wife decided that pink camo was not what she wanted. So today this was what she did.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow the 440 goes in.

20. Trukker

Trukker Farmall Cub

Now that is PINK!

Soo ... ? What'll it be flat black on the hood or some new sun glasses?

Also I think Mike spilled his strawberry milk shake in the transmission oil pan right after he removed it?