Lift

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by pnwscout, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Also, in this post from earlier in the year I show what I did to keep my rear tires from rubbing. There's a better pic of that big (4-inch maybe?) bump-stop and also a pic to show the reshaping I did at the rear edge of the wheel well:
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/suspension-advice.131862/#post-962316

What the cutting and bending of the wheel well accomplished was removal of that sharp lip that came down. So now if ever a tire ever does get really stuffed momentarily (and compresses that bump-stop) the tire just makes a hissing noise against the metal---and not that godawful grinding sound.

2. pnwscout

pnwscout Farmall Cub

thanks for the pictures ill defiantly look at the 33's (helps that there cheaper too) and I like how detailed you showed were you cut your inner fenders ill be sure to do the same. thanks for all the input hopefully my lift kit comes in this next week

3. Patrick Morris

And lighter! LOL I wouldn't want to have to deal with huge tires. Plus, where do you mount the spare?

Another thing not yet discussed is gearing. You never said what ratios you have in your axles. But in most cases, you're better off running 33s.

BTW, here is another pic showing the "before" thru "after" of the WW trimming. As you can tell, i didn't really create a bigger area for the tires. Just took away that nasty edge and made for a softer landing if the tires do hit.
    The main tools I used where:
    • Angle grinder with cutting blade (perfect too for this kind of task)
    • 3# sledge
    • MIG welder
    Be sure and peal back the flooring/carpeting in the bed area opposite these surfaces before doing any welding! You don't want to cook it, or even worse, start a fire.

1-Left-side_before.jpg 2-Left-side_after.jpg 2-Left-side_all_done.jpg

4. pnwscout

pnwscout Farmall Cub

i got the stock dana 44s I believe its either a 4.11 or a 3.77 and im making a spare tire rack on the bumper later on (when I build new bumpers) until then it will go in the bed area my profile picture is the day I got her home hasn't changed much other than a pressure wash and mechanical repairs to make it run great and be reliable. now I want a fun wheeler and hunting rig out of it. just getting back from a deployment and finally have the time to do a nice build

5. Patrick Morris

Very cool. And welcome back. It'll be a neat project I'm sure.

The ratio would likely then be 3.73 or 4.11, but we're on the same page. 3.73 works really well with 33 inch tires while still being totally fine for freeway driving. 4.11 of course will rev higher on the freeways but be a little more "fun" off-road. And quicker off the line in case it matters.

6. pnwscout

pnwscout Farmall Cub

Thanks and I hope so I know ill be visiting this form more often as I move along in the build and ill be posting pictures as well looking for suggested changes. and a 3.73? ill have to look at my axels again im swaping out the dash this weekend so ill have a tach and a working speedo.