Late model bed floor and sides on Scout II

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Yellowscout83, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Yellowscout83

Yellowscout83 Farmall Cub

Hi Folks, I'm in the Northeast, and I have a couple Scouts that look like many of the other Scouts up here! For the one I'm working on at the moment, I have secured a late model Chevy bed for $40. I have already cut the bulkhead and outer skins off, and I have fiberglass rear quarters that will be going on this truck.

My question is, has anyone ever done something like this? I can't find a pic or thread anywhere online that shows someone doing this. Basically, everything is so rotted I would have to buy every component from Lite Line an fabricate a new one If I don't go this route.

If someone with a solid truck wouldn't mind helping me with some dimensions too, I would be greatly appreciative!!

Thanks, David

2. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

I think if you are going to do this you're going to have to add two cab mounts because the rear cab mounts are probably farther back than you will end up cutting.

I'd say a box from a ranger might be better.

3. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

I would guess that a chevy bed would be as good a source of sheetmetal as any, but I expect it will take a lot of fitting. I can help you with dimensions if you need them. I also have several parts trucks if you need random pieces. They are in Bath. Both are long wheelbase terras. I don't think that there is much left of the bed in either of them though.
    -David

4. Yellowscout83

Here is what I'm working with. The first dimensions I need is the width of the bed floor. (Front and back if they're different) mine seems to be about 59", but it's been patched so much I don't trust it!
    Thanks for the help!

20180801_122817.jpg

Attached Files:

5. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

I can get you good width dimensions. What is going to be more critical are the heights, the z dimensions, and how are you going to secure everything to the frame. The rear floor under the tailgate basically sits on the frame on rubber pucks so thats easy. You need to look at how much is left of the cab mounts in the center where the floor steps up to the bed, and at the front. If you have to fab everything you might consider looking for another tub.

The rear endcaps need to be solidly attached to whatever you set onto the rear body mounts - those two pucks. A piece of square tubing would do, maybe whatever is under the end of the chevy bed if the wheelwells lined up, which is unlikely. Otherwise you won't be able to open and close the tailgate on uneven ground; the opening will flex and the tailgate won't fit in the opening.

Are you planning to use a steel top ever, or just a roll cage and a bikini top? If you want the windshield and tailgate and sides to line up with a steel top then you have to be VERY precise with your measurements. If you want more of a buggy with no top or just a makeshift soft top then all you need to do is make sure the doors and tailgate line up enough to function.

The width across the bed at the tailgate should be closer to 58". I think it tapers slightly wider as you go forward. My best model to go off of has carpet in it today, but that carpet is coming out in the next few days. Then I can take exact measurements.

If you haven't read it already, ddedmans thread on the Bubba Scout will give you and idea of what you are in for. Not sure if its inspiring or discouraging. Worth it in the end I guess. Its just getting to the end thats tough. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-bubba-scout.86609/

-D

6. Yellowscout83

The rear floor under the tailgate basically sits on the frame on rubber pucks so thats easy. You need to look at how much is left of the cab mounts in the center where the floor steps up to the bed, and at the front. If you have to fab everything you might consider looking for another tub.

I'm going to be welding together the best parts of the rear mounts I have from the two trucks.

The rear endcaps need to be solidly attached to whatever you set onto the rear body mounts - those two pucks. A piece of square tubing would do, maybe whatever is under the end of the chevy bed if the wheelwells lined up, which is unlikely. Otherwise you won't be able to open and close the tailgate on uneven ground; the opening will flex and the tailgate won't fit in the opening.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be welding the scout tailgate parts onto the chevy bed. I had originally planned to just use the floor from the donor bed, but since it's so solid, I think I'm going to keep as much of it intact as I can.

Are you planning to use a steel top ever, or just a roll cage and a bikini top? If you want the windshield and tailgate and sides to line up with a steel top then you have to be VERY precise with your measurements. If you want more of a buggy with no top or just a makeshift soft top then all you need to do is make sure the doors and tailgate line up enough to function.

I do plan to put the travel top back on it. I do have a half cab too, but at least for now, I'd like to keep the back seat. I feel pretty confident I can get the measurements right.

The width across the bed at the tailgate should be closer to 58". I think it tapers slightly wider as you go forward. My best model to go off of has carpet in it today, but that carpet is coming out in the next few days. Then I can take exact measurements.

Thanks, I'll look for update.

If you haven't read it already, ddedmans thread on the Bubba Scout will give you and idea of what you are in for. Not sure if its inspiring or discouraging. Worth it in the end I guess. Its just getting to the end thats tough. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-bubba-scout.86609/

This was great to look over. In the end, I just want it to be safe and solid enough to drive around without worrying about the body falling off the frame. I don't have any fantasies about perfect body lines or anything like that. If I come out the other side with solid body mounts, and functioning doors, I'll be happy! Some day I hope to have a fully redone one, but right now this is where my budget is.

-D[/QUOTE]

7. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

I hodge podged my bed back together with some 18guage sheet metal stock... I like your idea better. The ribbed bed panels should offer more strength. Post pics!