know of any scouts slowly rusting away?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Rattail, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Rattail

Rattail Farmall Cub

not sure where to post this but we have a club for vintage wheels and anything over 30 years old, our tech section would fit in the first 10 pages (ok maybe a little bigger) I know where there are 2 scouts with 345s that are slowly sinking in the dirt , this guy owns a truck wrecking yard of sorts, appointment only, anyway I’ve got half of what I wanted .
    he said I because I need that ..... grr
    I went straight over to the scouts and just said calmly what are you doing with these... no I’m going to start doing them up , in other words they are going to keep sinking and vanish .

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

3. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

A guy stopped and checked out my scout several years ago. He lives not far away. He told me about his collection (HOARD). One sounded really nice, and probably was when he got it. I went over and checked out what he has. What a waste. The T-All he told me about was sunk down to the axles and the mice had DESTROYED the interior. I didn’t even try to open a door. His trucks wont change hands until he’s gone, by then they will be scrap. He does have a decent unrestored PU.
    Happens a lot unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Rattail

Rattail Farmall Cub

They sold a few here in Australia and maybe a handful where I live, I had to walk to school past the I.H . dealer and looking at the big tractors, our dealer lasted till about 1987-88 , no one was buying trucks or farm machinery,
    I imagine the scouts that where sold here are suffering the same fate....

5. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

I think just about every scout on the road is still rusting away...

Steve A, Big Ed and Rattail like this.
  6. Rattail

Rattail Farmall Cub

Hahaha, I mean after the obvious..I commend you for the statement!!
    I thought it was funny too.

7. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

I tried to buy one about 15 years ago from a guy, could not get him to part with it. Sitting under an oak tree then and just starting to get infested with rats. Still under that same oak now, looking a little shorter every year. Hasn't moved. Had he sold that one it would have had all sorts of adventures to talk about.

8. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

The real question is, does anyone know of any Scouts that are NOT rusting away!?

Randall Barringer, RinTX and Big Ed like this.
  9. Don B

Don B Farmall Cub

I found one in a wreckers yard that I thought I couldn’t get some parts from. They never did want to sell any parts from it, they didn’t want to sell it, they didn’t want to fix it. So there it sits, rotting! Not sure exactly what the business model is!

10. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

Yeah, that’s the reason for my earlier response.

11. 72soa

72soa Binder Driver

I have commented on this type of stuff before. The business model is I was sitting at home one day drinking beer and I saw this automotive auction on TV. I think it was Barret-Jackson or something like that. I saw these older vehicles, some looked real nice. Then I was watching these guys who are really rich and kind of tippsy bidding a lot of money for these vehicles. There were terms thrown around like 'survivor' and 'barn find' and it got me thinking: hey I don't have a 401K, I still have 10 years to pay off the double-wide - but I have this old POS in the back yard sitting for years. It must be worth some money and in just a few years it will be worth even more. Hell if I could fix it up a little I could get even more money. However, life, beer, etc. is more demanding and I really never get around to it. Meanwhile nature keeps on keeping on. The expectation based classic car market and the internet have wrecked it for hobbyist and people that want to work on and enjoy older vehicles. Face it older vehicles are crap. They are slow; they don't want to stop very well and don't drive very well. Where is my A/C and cruise control? I could go on but you get what I am saying.

kdsmit and stroker3 like this.
  12. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

I agree with that now as prices and interest in them is getting higher but believe there's been a combination of things over the years. . I know I'm guilty of keeping things way to long. First was the parts thing. Easier to go out back and get what you need than search for it so nothing went. Then as the small IH became harder to find and use as a dailey driver scrap prices also went bad as recycling things like fluids, plastics, rubber and interiors became stricter. Scarp yards would not pic up a car for awhile back then and I actually had to deliver and pay $50.00 for them to'' accept'' a few vehicles I no longer needed. This was all before the world became smaller and we realized the parts actually still have a use. At least some stuff here has lived on in places I've never heard of . The weird part is the stupid attachment some of us get. Wouldn't be suprised if the truck under the oak is a victim of that. These things have been a part us here since I was 10 and I still associate family members that are long gone with a few. Some have been tough to scrap and take parts from but there's one I still can't bring myself to touch. There's no really good reason not to but the one who owns this crap doesn't need to explain a thing to anyone.....In the end it's such a big suprise ... sometimes we're all a little nuts......:laugh:

kdsmit, kevingweq and jeff campbell like this.
  13. bull

bull Binder Driver

I would just be happy to not have my old junk confused by those who call her a bronco...

kdsmit likes this.
  14. 77GlacierBlue

77GlacierBlue Farmall Cub

I've seen 3 Scouts in my area, all Scout IIs. 1 of them definitely falls into this category. Its at a local salvage yard but is complete. A couple years ago I stopped in and asked if all or any part of it was for sale. They told me it wasn't for sale, it was the owners and he was planning to put a fiberglass tub in it. :cornfused: Ya right. It was nearly past the point of repair then and it's still there several years later. This weekend I talked to a guy who has a Scout II and a mid 70s international fire truck he doesn't need. I haven't gone out to look at them yet but from the description the Scout may be too far gone. Said it doesn't have a top and it's been sitting in the field for years.

15. Rattail

Rattail Farmall Cub

I think we ALL have been hoarders to some degree ,and then there’s - I don’t want it but I’d hate for some one else fixing it and driving past looking S)!?$ hot
    Someone has past away and you leave it as some type of shrine,( I was guilty of that for a while)
    And then there’s the genuine guy that has a decent back yard and he’s well on his way to a hoarder only he doesn’t know it yet. - I better keep the donor car as there may be a small clip or some such such ....... I’m sure I haven’t touched the surface ......... share your opinions and personal experiences

16. Rattail

Rattail Farmall Cub

Heck I’ll come clean lol I am a hoarder of sorts,, my shed has two cars , ones my daily driver and I bought the second one to transfer the entire inside interior , carpet engine, etc etc,
    that was 3-4 years ago,all I got done was the two front seats. The rest of the car I’ve been cutting the metal off the outside of it as rust repair on one of my 2 trucksI which are in the open, I heard the guy in the house next door saying something to the affect of he bashed and banged for the last 12 months and it isn’t finished and now he’s got a another one !!! Haha

17. kdsmit

kdsmit Farmall Cub

Guilty as charged! I have more broken stuff that doesn't run, than the average person has that does! But......I will get to it someday!

stroker3 likes this.
  18. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

I like to think I'm adding more metal each year than I'm losing...
    (and my welding's getting better! :hammer:)

kdsmit and jeff campbell like this.
  19. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Every time I see this thread title I think - aren’t they all slowly rusting away...

Big Ed likes this.