king pins ih 1210 camper special 1973 2wd

Discussion in '"International" Harvesters' started by bjornebraten, Apr 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bjornebraten

bjornebraten Farmall Cub

Have a fa 12 axle 2wd i will renew king pins. Have some questions. Which direction do i have to pull out the old pins? up or down? Has someone done this job and could tell me a little about it? Gonna change them tomorrow.
    Thomas,Norway

2. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

Thomas,
    They're straight kingpins, so it shouldn't matter which way. When I changed mine, I took the whole axle out, flipped it over and pushed the pins out the "top" of the spindle. I was better able to support the axle in my press that way.
    Good luck, Mike

3. bjornebraten

bjornebraten Farmall Cub

Hi Mike. Have pulled the old pins and bushings out. Think i have to leave the job with pulling the new pins in. Think the bushings has to be honed. What about the shims? Do you have som data?
    Regards Thomas

4. bjornebraten

bjornebraten Farmall Cub

Hi Mike. Do you also have 2wd? Did you anything with the bushings before you pulled the pins in? What about chims? Have read about too tight pins in some forums.
    Thomas

5. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

Thomas,
    My truck is 2wd. It was originally equipped with a FA10 front axle, but I swapped in a FA12 from a D-series pickup. I took the axle apart to have the axle beam powder coated, but took the axle to a truck shop to install the new king pins and bushings. I do not have a reamer for fitting the new bushings and pins. I bought a king pin and bushing set, which came with a shim assortment, and gave it to the truck shop to install. I do not have any shop manuals that provide information on replacing king pins, so I can't really provide more info.
    Good Luck, Mike

6. bjornebraten

bjornebraten Farmall Cub

gave it away to the machine shop $120 and problem solved
    Thomas