KB8 Powerland Log Truck Work Party

Discussion in 'IH Scouts & Trucks of Oregon' started by Lyle Wiese, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

I talked to Red, the VP of the Truck Museum, this afternoon and have scheduled the work party for the KB8 log truck at Powerland for Saturday, March 18th at 9AM.

I know there are other events,IHCC #30 meeting, Death Valley, Spring Break, etc., going on at the same time, but we need to get busy on the truck. Especially since IH is the featured truck at Truck Show this year. My goal is to have it running for our very own Binder Bee.

The plan for the day starts with a meeting with Red for some instructions on what is expected of us and info on what tools are available for our use at the museum.

The work plans are to drain out the old gas, change the oil and filter, grease whatever we can find to grease and check the brakes at least. We will need to inspect the truck and determine what else needs to be done once we get there.

I will bring the oil and the filter. Those who can attend bring the usual IH tools and probably some larger ones.

Those who can help, please post here and meet at the PNW Truck Museum at Powerland at 9AM, on March 18th. If there are any questions, post them here, also.

Lyle

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. timpage

timpage High Wheeler

Provided that I dont have to work, I will be there to lend help and basic tools.

Tim

3. GregF

GregF moderator Staff Member Moderator

As I will be in Death Valley, I will be unable to attend even though I wanted to help. The good news is that Mike has it on his agenda. I hope he can make it as he is working that Friday night and will probably need a few hours sleep before going down there.

Greg

4. snowjob

snowjob Farmall Cub

What does the featured truck designation mean at the truck show? I 'm going to try to be there by 9:30 and meet some of you, but I know I've got to leave by 11:30. Are they going to move the truck out of the museum or are they going to let it be worked in the museum? When was it last run? Are you going to try to start it? I'm assuming it went outside on its own power the last time I saw it about 18 months ago. Is the truck still 6volts or has it been converted to 12? Will it need a battery? I'll bring a grease gun.
    Greg

5. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Greg,

Every year at the Truck Museum's Truck Show, they select a particular brand of truck to feature. This year it is IH and since "our" log truck is on the front of the Truck Show brochure, it is the feature truck.

We will be working on the truck inside the musuem. The museum staff will pull the truck out into the middle to give us room on all sides.

I don't know when it last ran. Even though you saw it outside, it may not have gotten there under its' own power. The museum folks are capable of moving just about anything. Yes, we will try to start it once we get all the necessary things checked out.

As far as I know, the truck is still 6 volt. I am not sure about the need for a battery.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Lyle

6. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Greg,

I knew this date conflicted with Death Valley, along with a few other things, but we need to get busy on the truck. I would be willing to bet this is not the only work party. We will watch for Mike.

Enjoy Death Valley.

Lyle

7. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Anymore takers??? I'll be there!!

8. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Jack and I will be attending the IHCC#30 annual meeting.

Sorry... looks like a lot of fun, and wish I could be there.

-John

9. Chrispucci

Chrispucci High Wheeler

I will be unable to attend --- I have a class that morning.

10. timpage

timpage High Wheeler

Doesnt look like I'll be there either :( , its my weekend to work :mad: .

11. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

I knew this was one of the conflicts, but we need to get busy on this project. If it wasn't this Saturday, it would not have been until April.

I'm sure this won't be the only work party.

The IHCC#30 annual meeting sounds like a lot of fun, too. Enjoy it!

Lyle

12. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

I know how you feel; next Saturday is my turn. :mad: Would have been this Saturday, too, but I had "plans".

Lyle

13. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

We had a great day working in the Truck Museum on the KB8. Thanks to Carl, Greg Mansholt (snowjob here on the BB) and Mike Foster, we accomplished a lot.

Here is what we did:

Checked all the fluid levels: Transmission, Auxillary Transmission, Divider, Master Cylinder, Steering Gear and Both Diffs. We found all the fliuds at their proper levels.

Checked for grease in the distributor grease cup and oiled the generator.
    Changed the crankcase oil. Cleaned out the fuel filter sediment bowl.

Greg spent his 2 hours greasing every zerk fitting under the truck. Some of them still had red paint on them.

The battery would not take a charge, so it will need to be replaced. Where is the best source for a Group 4, 6 volt?

Mike Foster removed the driver's side gas tank. We needed to remove a stick and wash out some dirt. Apparently the stick was being used to check the fuel level and was droppped in by accident.

Mike and Carl reattached the air intake pipe to the carb; the clamp was not installed properly.

We discovered the LF106 oil filter, which I believe is for a Red Diamond 450 will not fit a Red Diamond 401. The filter we removed is a type of sock filter, curved at the top. I will need to do some research to find the correct one unless one of experts here on the BB knows which one it is.

Most of the running lights work as do the brake lights and turn signals. The headlights don't. The dimmer switch seemed to not be working as it should. The headlights will need some more checking. The panel lights worked as well. I tried to turn the engine over, but the battery was just not up to the job, even after charging it most of the day.

The brake pedal felt good, so the plan is to see how well the brakes work once the truck moves. If we need to service the brakes, we can at a future work party. With the condition the truck is in, I suspect the brakes are in good condition as well.

We will also need to fill the radiator with coolant. I don't know how much we will need as of yet. Carl will pick up an owner's manual to see if the coolant capacity is listed there. I need to check the shop manual further as well.

The next KB8 Log Truck work party is scheduled for April 1st, which is the Truck Museum's annual meeting as well. Those of you who are museum members or want to join are welcome to attend the meeting. We hope to be able to fit in some work on the Log Truck as well. Hopefully, we will be ready to try to start it.

It was a great day.

Lyle

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  14. John Donnelly

Lyle,

Great news on the progress on the truck. The filter you need is Baldwin #CU406 for the sock type filter. This should cross reference to either a Wix or Luber-Finer model.

I doubt FleetGuard supports it. Just FYI.

Colin should have a battery or access to one for getting the truck running. It should use the same battery as the M-5.

-John

15. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

John,

Thanks for the filter part number. It is a Fleetguard LF506. The picture in my Fleetguard book even looks right.

I thought I remembered Colin had access to batteries. It is a Group 4, 6 volt.

Lyle

16. John Donnelly

Cool on the FleetGuard. I had heard that sock type filters were no longer available from them. Guess I was wrong.

As far as the battery goes, it would be a wise move for us to only have the battery there when it needs to be used, and the rest of the time store it off-site.

Otherwise the truck will just suck down the battery while it sits, or someone else might "borrow it" to run in another truck. (Yes, I have seen that happen :( )

-John

17. Carl Wiese

Here are some pictures.

Taking care of the paint. I found it a little odd to be working on such a nice truck, I had to take extra care to pay attention to what I was laying or leaning on.
    [​IMG]

The RD-401, number 6692, just FYI it takes 12 quarts of oil.
    [​IMG]

I couldn't figure out how to get the air filter elemet out of the canister, but the oil was to the correct level and clean, so we'd figure we'd leave it to another day.

And the line of trucks. Next time we'll bring more lights and even with the lights on it's pretty dark. This picture was worked over a bit, so you could see a bit more of the trucks.

[​IMG]

I am going to make a note book, with some specific sheets of paper in it, so we can keep it with the truck and keep track of when things were done, what was done, who did them, and what problems occured. It will also have things laid out to be aware of and and cautions that should have been taken. That way no matter who is working on the truck we'll all be on the same page. I'll make a section in the front for part numbers.

18. John Donnelly

Did anyone get a shot of the information plaque in front of the truck saying that we are now the caretakers of the truck?

-John

19. Carl Wiese

I will, but it still says "The IH Club." I think they are going to change it to IHSTO, and when they do I'll take the pic:D!

20. Colin Rush

Colin Rush Man of Voive Staff Member Moderator

Lyle,

Take the one from the M-5. It will not need it. It may need a recharge, though. However, once it is in, it will probably need to stay in it. It is not easy to remove from the KB as I remember, requiring removing the floorboard to do so.