Josh's Scout mini thread

Discussion in 'Old Iron Offroad' started by lev1a, Jul 15, 2014.

1. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Just so you guys know I am still around I thought I would throw up a thread of some service work/ retro mods I did awhile back on probably one of the nicest factory scouts I have ever laid eyes on. The owner contacted us about doing some service work and modifications to his Scout. I may be wrong on the history as it has been awhile since this one was done, but I believe this Scout was originally from Colorado, then purchase and moved to Wisconsin where sadly it developed some slight rust issues. When it rolled in it was on 4" lift springs and some 33x12.50 tires. Also installed were new body bushings all around, driver side door latch mechanism, and some other random fixes. The owner wanted the rust repaired, Engine leaks taken care of, lowered to a 2.5 inch lift and some 31x10.50s installed on factory wheels and hubcaps. Here are some pics of what the rig looked like when it rolled into the shop and some shots of the classy original stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original low mileage 345 completely untouched with working air pump.

[​IMG]

Bling!!

[​IMG]

First order of business was to throw some fresh rubber at the engine as over the years the gaskets had deteriorated and begun to leak. Valve cover gaskets were a chore with all the original things in the way. Also none of the tins were painted to keep the engine looking as it should.

Cleanest valve train I have ever seen.

[​IMG]

Inside of the tins with little more than wiping them off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Re: Josh's Scout mini build

With the engine buttoned back up it was time to start on the rust repair. Luckily it hadn't spent to many years in the salty north and the rust was localized to the front cab mounts/front edge of the floor pans and tops of the rockers. The inner rocker was still super solid, and for the sake of maintaining original paint and metal on the outside of the rocker we opted just to repair what was needed on the rockers vs. replacing them. So with tools in hand I started cutting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside of the rockers got coated with por 15 before they were covered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The floor pans were left bare as the owner was capable of topcoating. They ended up getting POR 15 ,sound deading mat, and a new front floor mat.

[​IMG]

Somewhere between here and there I pulled the 4" lift stuff and threw in a 2.5 inch lift with new shocks we have all seen lift install pics so I will spare you the details. I also hauled a set of factory steel wheels to be sand blasted and industrial coated.

Bling

[​IMG]

With the tires mounted, wheels and new meats on the truck, hubcaps on, I rolled it outside and called it done. Really dig the retro look!!!!

[​IMG]

3. Anthony Weigant

Anthony Weigant Farmall Cub

Gorgeous! Looks familiar though......

That makes me miss my old Scout.

4. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Very nice scout!!!

5. Scout Driver

Scout Driver Binder Driver

What a sweetie of a Scout! Soooo clean. Love the look of the factory wheels and caps with the 31's.

Scott