Josh's 79 Scout ii

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Josh Schrecengost, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Josh Schrecengost

Josh Schrecengost Farmall Cub

2. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

That is an iconic shot right there. Complete with mud on the tires. The lift turned out good too, just the right amount.

You might have the hot start issue going on. I suspect the same right now in my '76. I had my starter rebuilt before the truck was put together, and it was dead new. I had an NOS Blue Streak solenoid that I put on it, and it worked just fine until last week when it got really hot around here. Same as yours, click. I had a stock heat shield (mine was long gone to this truck when I got it) that I installed a couple of days ago, and hope that takes care of my issue at hand, if not, Ill replace the solenoid again and see if that helps. ALot of guys will use a Ford solenoid mounted remote but in my case I don't wish to do that, but it might help your issue.

JJ in TN

3. Josh Schrecengost

T
    Thanks JJ! The starter and the steering box are the next to-dos.

4. Josh Schrecengost

Nothing major today but I fiddled with a few things. Tightened the power lead to the starter since it was loose. Degreased and power washed the starter and steering box areas to make working on them more pleasant. Replaced the power steering belt and removed the air pump. The air pump has been locked up and non functioning since I got the scout. Also pulled up the nasty carpet on the driver's side floor. A little rust to fix but not bad!

Attached Files:

5. J.J.

that is clean right there! There aren't many left that are that nice. Suggestion, when you remove the steering box, be sure and check the frame out right there behind it as they like to crack. You would be amazed by the amount of frame flex just from the box operating in its normal use. I suggest installing a straight steer, its an easy bolt in and adds a nice support right there. They are cheap too.

JJ in TN

6. Josh Schrecengost

Copy
    Copy that JJ. I looked at the straight steer and thought they were expensive for just a piece of flat steel. I need to look again.

7. J.J.

Start your truck, have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth and watch the steering box. You'll understand. A guy could make one but the kits bolt right up..

JJ in TN

8. Josh Schrecengost

I see anything scout has them for $93. Thats pretty fair considering the time and materials to fab one at home.

9. J.J.

yes, exactly thats a deal. Bolts right up.

JJ in TN

10. Josh Schrecengost

Took apart the rag joint tonight to confirm I had a 3/4" input shaft on the steering box. It is, which is also correct for a '79. Most everything seems stock on my scout but I wanted to confirm before ordering a new rag joint and steering box rebuild kit. I place an order for a steering brace and new rag joint with anything scout and rebuild kit through rockauto. Probably should have ordered the ford econoIine brake line for the back too while I was at it.. I debated on the borgerson joint to replace the rag, but all the slop seems to be in the box itself. I sure hope this tightens things up. I have a quarter turn of nothing before she starts to turn right, left isn't nearly as bad. Im starting to accumulate a pile of discarded scout parts. Couldn't just throw them a way because, you know......

11. J.J.

12. Josh Schrecengost

after taking apart the rag joint and reassembling everything the steering is actually way better than it was. All the bolts were tight when I took it apart but there must have been misalignment or ? I'm still looking forward to rebuilding the steering box and installing the straight steer. Hopefully that will tighten the steering a bit more and stop most of the power steering fluid leaks.

13. Josh Schrecengost

The steering box rebuild kit came in the mail from Rockauto so I decided to pull the box off the scout and get started. Im still waiting on the rag joint and straight steer but they should be here any day. I removed the pump/reservoir too because I don't think you could wiggle the box out with it in there. Cleaned them up in a gas bath to get most of the gunk off. Had to leave the Pittman arm attached for now because the biggest wrench I have is 1 1/4 and the nut is at least 1 5/16".

Attached Files:

14. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Trick to getting the pitman arm off is a good puller and then whack the puller rod with a hammer to get the arm off by shocking it.

Josh Schrecengost likes this.
  15. J.J.

I think that would be considered "coaxing" it off, but I do like your "shock" it off

Many years ago I was trying to install an Saturn overdrive on my '47 flat fender and it would not go on the shaft. I called Advance Adapters and his advice was: "If anyone asks I never said this, but you'll need to coax it on with a hammer. Don't whale on it, coax it". Its still on there and works just fine.

JJ in TN

JJ in TN

Josh Schrecengost and winchested like this.
  16. Josh Schrecengost

The main problem I had was not having a wrench big enough to get the nut off. Once I got it to where I could gently use a pipe wrench without destroying things it was fine. Used the pulled and a hammer in tandem.

17. Josh Schrecengost

Disassembled the box and replaced seals, bearings and o rings tonight. That part went pretty smooth. There was only 23 ball bearings in my box so I'm guessing someone else rebuilt this one previously and lost one. The Teflon seals that go over the o rings on the stub shaft and piston stretched out and are baggy on their groove. I put the stub shaft in the freezer for 45 min and that seemed to help a little. Somewhere I read that you could compress them back into shape so I wrapped them real tight with electrical tape. I'll let em set til tomorrow evening and see what happens.

Attached Files:

18. J.J.

You are a brave man! Fingers crossed.

JJ in TN