Josh's 79 Scout ii

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Josh Schrecengost, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Josh Schrecengost

Josh Schrecengost Farmall Cub

20200626_195009.jpg Howdy. I bought this 79 Scout 2 from a buddy that was moving to another state and didn't want to haul it along. I've always liked scouts and since I'd been looking for a good hunting and fishing rig for a while I couldn't pass it up. This is a 345, 727 auto drive train. The first things I did were an oil change, new plug wires, and new air filter. The truck is pretty solid for its age but there is a bunch of stuff that needs done. I've been driving it about 10 miles a week mostly because it is fun and seems like the best way to find all the issues. The suspension definitely needed some help. Shocks were totally roasted and the springs were sagging and even looked a little bent. I ordered a rough country 2.5" kit and installed it this weekend. Im pretty happy with the results. Here is the before, during, and after photos. I ended up with about 4" of lift. Some of that is needs probably due to sag in the stock springs and some to tightening the shackle bolts while it was up on Jack stands instead of on the ground. It will likely settle a little with a few bumpy roads behind it.
    20200626_195009.jpg 20200627_104329.jpg 20200628_140820.jpg

2. Josh Schrecengost

20200628_120605.jpg 20200628_120610.jpg Here is something weird I found on the rear spring perch. One side had this spacer and one didn't. I left it out when I installed the rough country springs. Does anyone know why this would be on the passenger side?

3. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

Welcome! Looks like a great score from here. The spacer was used to level them, that is a factory install and most had them. I left mine out on my '76 Scout II build myself when putting my 4 in Skyjackers under it.

JJ in TN

4. Josh Schrecengost

Thanks J.J. was it to correct for variance in the factory springs?

5. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Yes it was front and rear pass side had these.

6. Josh Schrecengost

Its difficult to prioritize when so many things need attention. My ultimate goal with the scout is a capable backroad rig for hunting, fishing, camping and light off roading. My daughters, now 10 and 13, will be riding in and likely driving the scout so safety upgrades are a must as well. Since the old thermoquad is drooling fuel onto the intake a rebuild is the next task. I have the rebuild kit and new floats but I am a bit intimidated. It'll be next week before I get to it. 20200621_151431.jpg

7. Josh Schrecengost

Drove around on the new suspension today and I'm very pleased with the ride quality. There are lots of complaints about the RC lifts being too stiff but I have no issues with it. A note for anyone installing one of these lifts: I had to drill out the u-bolt holes on the plate under the front passenger side because the provided bolts are 5/8. $30 drill bit, yikes. Also, the bottom of the shock is making a little contact against the mounts front and rear. It makes me a little nervous and I may need to get longer bolts and a couple extra washers for it to clear.

8. J.J.

I did a Skyjacker on mine that was used. I had to get new u bolts so I did not have this problem. On your shocks, post up a pic, I don't think you'll have any issues with a longer bolt and spacer. My full size IHs have stock metal spacers. Im not a carb guy so I am no help on that battle.

JJ in TN

Josh Schrecengost likes this.
  9. Josh Schrecengost

Attached Files:

10. Josh Schrecengost

Well poop. I spent the last hour meticulously taking apart the old thermoquad and taking enough photos to qualify for paranoia just to find that the plastic bowl is cracked. If anyone has advice on the best path to a new carburetor I'm all ears. I'm off to search all the carb threads. For what its worth, most of the emissions stuff has been butchered out by POs so it might be best to start over with a simpler carb set up anyway.

Attached Files:

11. J.J.

Spacer should fix that.

and that is disheartening.

If it were mine, I would roll with a Edelbrock 1406. I have several IHs, and all of them except my '76 Scout have this carb (its a 2bbl Holley). Every single one that I have got was perfect right out of the box. Minor adjustments and go with it. Get one thats coded as a 9906 and you'll save some $$ there. They are 600 CFM, I think that will work on your 345. They have the electric choke. The 9906 is factory reconditioned with a warranty.

JJ in TN

12. Josh Schrecengost

Thats the advice I needed JJ. Does the 1406 require any kind of adapter or is it good to go on a spread bore intake?

13. J.J.

I think square bore is better, but it will bolt to the spread bore. You might want to consider a spacer to help with heat and there might be an issue where the secondaries don't open up all the way because of the spread bore. Don't remember exactly but I did have one on my '75 200 before I replaced the engine. Measure and see how much room is under there between the top of the motor and the hood. You should be able to find a phenolic spacer pretty easy.

JJ in TN

14. Josh Schrecengost

15. Josh Schrecengost

Just ordered an Edelbrock 1406 and square carb to spread manifold spacer from Jegs. I will update when it arrives. Ka-ching. That spent my paycheck from guiding fishermen Tuesday. :beer:

16. J.J.

atta boy, just be careful with the spacing under the hood with the aircleaner to hood. Ive taken play dough and put it on top of my air cleaner, then watched and slowly closed the hood.

JJ in TN