Jon' Scout, AKA 30 day Scout build Part 2

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Gary Billings, Oct 6, 2014.

1. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

Gary

Your builds leave me well, speechless! :yes::yes::yes: I just hope some of it sinks in or rubs off or just anything! What type bed liner is in the scout?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. CAB

CAB Farmall Cub

Yup, still here.

CAB

3. Gary Billings

Gary Billings Dreams of Cub Cadets

Thanks all! :beer:

Over the past few days, I finished building the rocker sliders. Jon took them to get them powdercoated and he also painted the inner fenders.

Attached Files:

4. Gary Billings

I R&R'd the heater box and ran ducting. The pass. side ducting was long enough from the 4-cyl setup. The dr. side was not, so I had to cut some new ducting.

I made the bug screens for the fresh air intakes out of of some gutter guard that I found at Home Depot for a couple bucks. I glued them on.

Attached Files:

5. Gary Billings

I started putting the engine stuff back together...carb, distributor, heater hose, etc.

I picked up a new dipstick for the TH350. This one is 27" long vs. the other one which was about 35" long. It was way too long for this truck.

Attached Files:

6. Gary Billings

I mounted up the radiator. The application is an older Corvette, or a V8 into S10 conversion.

It requires a saddle style mounting system and this proved to be the most difficult part of the entire build. Needless to say, I got it done after a few trials & tribulations and am happy with the results! I had to build a spacer to go below it and then custom make the upper support bracket that goes across the core support. I made some clamps to hold it in place. The end result is clamped in tight but not too tight and there is plenty of room for the electric fans.

Attached Files:

7. Gary Billings

Lastly, I installed the front clip. It's starting to look like a Scout again!

-Gary

Attached Files:

8. backcountry

backcountry Farmall Cub

Wowzers Gary looking great. The final stretch. Radiator looks rad in there. Paint looks better than when I left to let it dry. Stoked to go for a ride in it once everything is buttoned up! :clap::punk::rockon::beer::4x4::scout:

9. Gary Billings

I started putting the hydroboost together. A few weekends ago, I hit up the junkyard and pulled the pushrod, spring & retainer from a early 90's Astro van they had there. The reman'd unit from the auto parts store didn't come with it for some reason :confused:

Anyway, I got put together and starting playing with pedals. I had a pedal assembly from my '72 Travelall that formerly was an automatic. The retaining pin was in the right spot and was the right size to fit the Astro pushrod. I did have to modify the pivot area so it would fit further to the pass. side.

Attached Files:

10. Gary Billings

I didn't take very detailed pics along the way, but this is what I came up with.

I welded in new metal to fill in all the holes in the original m/c plate. The plate is 1/8" and I wanted something a little thicker to hold the hydroboost in place. So, I welded an additional 1/8" support plate on the backside. Next, I figured out where I wanted the hydroboost and drilled the 1 5/8"mounting hole. After that, I welded in a square alignment tab which was the remnants of an old door lock assembly :D. After filing the tab down until the hydroboost fit, I bolted up the pedal assembly, cut the hydroboost push rod and sleeved with some 1/2" OD, 3/8" ID DOM to extend it to reach the pedal. I've had the same setup on my Travelall for a few years now and it works fine!

After a mockup, I discovered that the m/c was a little too close to the inner fender for my liking. So, I removed everything and sliced the m/c mounting plate along the top & sides and pinched it back. I welded it up on the outside & inside and ground the outside down. By doing this, it gave me the few degrees upwards that I needed to move the m/c away from the inner fender :punk:

Attached Files:

11. Gary Billings

After painting the mounting plate, installing the big nut & tightening it down really good and then installing the safety snap ring, it was time to install everything into the truck.

Yes, that is snow. It was cold and windy today.

I did find that the push rod I made earlier was too long, so I shortened it up. Now everything fits good and looks really clean! :taz:

-Gary

Attached Files:

12. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Awesome work as always Gary! :beer:

13. Gary Billings

Thanks Scott! This one has been kind of fun to do...there's a ton of fab work & starting from scratch :D

I ordered up what I thought was the right p/s pump for the hydroboost. It has a flare fitting and two return lines back to the reservoir but it had a press fit pulley setup. I needed one that could fit the pulley that Jon had which had a woodruff key and a nut holding it on. Rather than spending another 2 hours researching which pump would work, I just modified the existing pump. It took 15 minutes to drill the 3/8" hole and weld in a nipple.

I opted to go this route vs. putting in a "T" fitting. It's a little cleaner looking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  14. Gary Billings

I also ran new brake lines in the engine bay and used a Chevy prop. valve. It had two outputs to the front. I picked up a 25' roll of NiCopp 3/16" brake line to run over to the pass. side so I didn't need to have any unions in line.

Last night, I built the new battery tray out of some 16 gauge. I used an OEM as a template.

The last pic shows the end result of my methodical madness to redo the inner fender and move the air duct over. Everything fits like a glove :)

-Gary

Attached Files:

15. Mike Scherr

Mike Scherr Farmall Cub

Very nice work.

16. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Great idea to add the return nipple. :beer:

Scott

17. Gary Billings

Jon took the headers & sliders to get powdercoated. When they took the wrap off the headers, they found some nasty crud!

But, it came out pretty darn good, I would say!

The engine is also getting some new, old-school looking valve covers, to be powdercoated tan. The old valve covers are cheesy and say "Chevrolet"....no need to advertise :D

-Gary

Attached Files:

18. Gary Billings

Oooooh, sexy sliders! :punk::taz::beer:

-Gary

Attached Files:

19. Gary Billings

Gettin' close! Jon brought stuff up to the house over the weekend. We installed the headers! I swapped out the rear brake hose and bled the brakes out. It now has brakes!

I also ran the hydroboost lines. The Astro hydroboost had o-ring fittings where the lines go in. The local shop where I have hydraulic lines made doesn't do o-ring fittings, so I got some o-ring to flare adapters from Speedway. I bent up some coat hangers and brought them in to have the lines made. They line up great!

Attached Files:

20. Gary Billings

I installed the new locking hubs, the front bumper and installed the dr. side slider. Unfortunately, it started snowing on me so progress slowed. I did build a new front driveshaft and installed it :)

-Gary

Attached Files: