Joe's 68 Travelall

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by MAJ777, May 5, 2016.

1. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

I changed the spark plugs and the sp. wires and she fired right up and ran very smooth. My youngest son, our German Shepherd and I took it around the neighborhood and it was aLot of fun. Have to work on the electrical now as it doesn't have any headlight or tail lights.

2. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

Here's my new tires and wheels. I went with BF Goodrich 31x10.5x15 and my wheels are American Racing Baja. If anyone is curious, the Travelall bolt pattern is 5-5 1/2

Attached Files:

3. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

And another picture. I'm really pleased on how it turned out

Attached Files:

4. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

Can someone tell me if the closest lever is for a bumper winch? I'm thinking it is, but I don't know why this bumper is on there? 20160527_161416.jpg 20160527_161357.jpg

5. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

The truck looks completely different, so much better!
    I have the same knob in my 68 that engages the PTO that's mounted on the transfer case. When it's pulled up, a little driveshaft spins that goes to the winch on the front bumper.
    Have you gotten underneath the truck to look for other signs of a power take off (PTO)?

6. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

I tried pulling it up but it seems frozen or stuck but does move somewhat. I'm thinking it is though. This picture isn't very good but here it is coming out from the floorboard. If this is it, I wonder why one of the original owners changed it out? Anyway, I think I may have found a bumper with a winch on it a few hours away. I should find out more about this next week.

Attached Files:

7. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

Update on the electrical. I took the dash apart and found the wiring was butchered so badly it was hard discovering what went where. I bought a wiring harness and just got everything put back. Everything works fine now except the emergency flashers as they short out due to a gasket missing over the wiring in the steering column. When I took the steering wheel off, the protective gasket crumbled in my hand, so I need to find one and it should be good to go. I'm also needing a horn button.
    I'm thankful that I have lights, turn signals, tail lights and break lights. Even the lights on the side of the front fenders are working!
    I found a couple of gas tanks that I'm going to purchase this week and I need to get them now because I've found they are hard to come by. That is my next project...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  8. Randall Barringer

Great progress. Keep up the good work

MAJ777 likes this.
  9. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

Well...not sure what to do next. I bought the 2 front gas tanks and they had them shipped to my house. It's been almost 3 weeks and haven't seen them yet. They shipped my hoses, straps, etc to me and I got that. The company I bought them from said they shipped the tanks a few after that. So I called them on Friday and they said they will track it down and get back with me, I hope to have some information tomorrow. Anyway, my tank installation has been put on hold for the time being.

10. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Did you buy used tanks ? Or did you find new ones ? If so would you share the source
    ps Love the wheel and tire combo !

That knob was most likely (as mentioned) was the PTO control , I cant see clear enough in the picture ,But looks like a pto mounted to transfer case ?

11. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

Kevin, tanks were used and needed some sealant to make it better. I know it's going to take a lot of time/work to get the tanks in good shape before I install them so I was hoping to get them by now to start on them. This may have to be put on hold now until winter when I will have more time.

12. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

My gas tanks were shipped back to the supplier because the box they were packaged in was damaged. I called the supplier to find this out and was told the tanks were not damaged. He was supposed to have shipped them either last Thursday or Friday. We'll see if they make it. The supplier isn't keeping me informed very well, I have to make all the phone calls...we'll see what happens.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  13. vegestar

vegestar Binder Driver

Gas tanks are definitely the weak link with these trucks. What may I ask is wrong with your original tanks? You may end up with similar or worse tanks than what you've got now!

Very nice looking TA. I have the same year and color but V8 and 4 spd. Yours appears to be in much better shape. Good luck fixing her up!

14. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

Vegestar,
    One of the previous owners had both front tanks removed, I'm guessing that they were in bad shaped. That person then installed a different tank under the bed by the rear bumper. I'm wanting to put it all back in original form. You can see where the tank is mounted in the picture below. The good news is I got license and tags for it last Friday so I can now drive it around town...legally.

Attached Files:

15. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

here's how it should of been done. a hideaway, can't see it w/bumper on, flip the license plate down an fill it up ! just like an old GM. 66 t all rear.jpg

Attached Files:

16. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

Thanks Jeff for the pictures. That's a cool looking ride, reminds me I need to get a back bumper too.

17. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

. Pumped gas back in the early/mid 70's. Really hated to see one of those rear fills come in. The old saggy caddies with the trunk lid big enough to park a smart car on were painfully slow to fill. Try filling too fast while you're on one knee and whoosh.. They made the c series fender fill seem easy. Of coarse it was the seventies, washing windshields and mini skirts were common so if we got lucky the extra time could be spent on scrubbing bug splatter.

18. MAJ777

MAJ777 Farmall Cub

It took a long time getting here but my tanks finally arrived today. They're in "ok" shape and will have to have work done on them. The back tank is the worst one between the two, a lot of rust on the inside. The other tank is not too bad. There's shiny metal inside the tank. I found a radiator shop in KC that's going to make it all good though.

Gas Tanks 1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  19. Randall Barringer

You're lucky you found a shop to do it, nobody around here would mess with mine.
    Did you get filler hoses, vent hoses, straps,etc too?
    What about sending units for the fuel gauge?

20. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Since you're going back to the dual tanks, have you checked to see if the tank regulator is still on the frame and working?