Jims SD33T Engine Build Thread 2017

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Jim, Feb 25, 2017.

1. MyDieselScout2

MyDieselScout2 Farmall Cub

You can also disconnect the fuel line for number 1 at the injection pump and visually see if it's spitting fuel or air bubbles. If not, it could be the the injection pump is stuck or has a clog and needs to be taken in for a run test and cleaning. I had a gummed up Injection pump on my Patrol motor cost me $350.00 to disassemble and polish the internals and reassemble. Runs like champ now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MyDieselScout2

One more thing, do a valve adjustment just to insure valves are properly opening and closing. Or that Number 1 will never fire.

3. Jim

Jim High Wheeler

Getting closer!

Thanks for all this info. Things are improving. The head gasket is not leaking. There is no oil in coolant or coolant in oil. No external fuel or coolant leaks. The ignition timing has been set and the engine is running much better, turbo goes up to 11 psi. I added more fuel to the tank since when I parked it more than a year ago it only had about a gallon. The fresh fuel seemed to help and I think I might have a fuel delivery issue, maybe plugged up the filter. Im only running the one filter so I think I will add another see thru filter. I might end up taking the pump to a shop to have it checked at some point.

My next tasks are to take it to the muffler shop to have the new 2.5 inch pipe installed. Right now I have a temporary poor connection from new downspout to the old smaller pipe.
    The only leak is around the oil pan gasket. It is leaking mostly in the rear, I tried tightening the bolts but it isnt helping. Hopefully its not the rear main. How can I tell if its the rear main or oil pan gasket? Also, any suggestions on how to seal pan gasket up? I dont think a new pan gasket is available, but I was thinking of using "The Right Stuff" alone with no gasket. That right stuff has done wonders with other gasket needs. Any thoughts on using no pan gasket, but a thick layer of right stuff instead?

4. MyDieselScout2

Clean the oil off the ban first, then start it and take a flashlight and crawl under it while the engine is on. If the oil only runs from the RMS area and down the pan, chances are it might have turned or not sealed properly. That RMS is tricky. I had to do it twice before I got it right.

5. Jim

Jim High Wheeler

I decided I will go with "the right stuff" no gasket. I think it will seal up fine with this setup.

So the engine is running good, I think some of my issue was with bad fuel. It runs strong in first and second gears, but once it gets up to speed in 3rd and 4th it dogs. It will eventually cruise at 60 mph but the acceleration from about 30 to 60 is very slow. I will change out the secondary fuel filter and add a see thru primary filter. I wonder if the injection pump timing which is now timed at 20 btdc could be an issue? It acts like it needs more fuel at higher speeds when fuel demand is greater. It seems fine at the lower speeds.

Any tips for how to determine if fuel flow is good? The engine was running pretty good (better than now) before the rebuild but had a cracked piston. It had 140K miles at the time of rebuild and I feel that the IP is good.

So.... compression test, if it is good and consistent accross cylinders then starting looking at IP timing and fuel restriction or fuel contamination.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    MrBonus likes this.
  6. Jim

Jim High Wheeler

I finally solved the problem! It was simple and took 10 minutes to fix. I put this off for a year! I knew it was fuel starvation or insufficient pump. The injection pump is fine, it was the fuel filter assembly! I feel like an idiot for not catching this earlier. Today, I swapped the fuel filter assemblies on my two scouts. Now my newly rebuilt engine runs like a champ! The scout moves like a bat out of hell. The mercedes turbo rocks, it spools up fast. I am keeping the blow off valve on for the time being. It runs just fine with it on, you can hear it blow off and the new turbo sounds awesome with the 2.5 in exhaust and elbow eminator.

MyDieselScout2 and CoopVA like this.
  7. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

I was just wondering if you got this figgered out. Seemed like a fuel issue to me too. Glad it's running well.

So is it a plugged element? Plumbed wrong?

8. MyDieselScout2

Glad to hear you got it solved. I had a similar issue with a old cracked fuel hose sucking air at one of the champs, then starving the engine of fuel. Happy days!!

9. Jim

Jim High Wheeler

The only difference was the washer or "spring plate". I had the washer missing. I cant see why this caused a partial fuel block, but somehow it did. I threw a washer in there along with a new filter and gaskets, all seems good now.

10. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

Just a plugged filter?

Seems to me the missing washer would have caused the oil to bypass the filter resulting in higher pressure if anything.