Jerry's 1970 Scout 800a build thread

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by scout2000, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Dirtroad

Dirtroad Farmall Cub

Yes mike moore. He has been doing some ls swaps. So he makes motor mounts and headers for scout ii swaps. They come with a jib you bolt to existing motor mounts and slide the new one over and weld on. No measuring etc. The headers are stainless with heavy 3/8 flange I believe. 425 for everything. Manifolds on carparts were bringing 75 bucks each when I checked. So for a little more money I went this route. Should gain hp and save time and headaches fabing up a universal mount. Don't know if they would work on a 800 though. Will post some pics when I drop the motor in this weekend.

2. jacobe

jacobe Farmall Cub

3. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Things have been a little quiet, Scout wise, in my neck of the woods lately.

$WORK has been sucking up all my CPU cycles.

Last Saturday, 13 September, I finally loaded my 800 up on the trailer and hauled it off to Burleson, TX, for its drive train swap. Sadly, I didn't even think to get any pictures, I was just too wound up in the moment.

Thank you to Josh Aitken and Mike Goodwin, who came over and got my Scout loaded up on the trailer for a safe journey to the builder.

4. scout2000

Its been a while since I have stuck anything here in my build thread. After dropping off the Scout, I spent a week in the Colorado Springs, Col area doing a little bit of wheeling, and last weekend I spent at the North Texas Binders Round up in Marble Falls, TX.

Here are a couple of shots of the old drive train removed, but before the new drive train is added.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  5. scout2000

Christmas in November

Christmas in November

I have been looking for a set of these now for several months, and ultimately a set magically appeared in North Dakota. Thank you Jeff for fixing me up with some new visors!

I will post pictures of these again once they have come back from being recovered, and the metal parts have been plated.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Re: Christmas in November

Hey Jerry that is awesome!!! They look to be in great shape! :thumbs up:

scout2000 likes this.
  7. scout2000

Re: Christmas in November

Thank you Jay, I really appreciate that.

I had quite a few people looking out for me for a set of these both online and behind the scenes. To me, that really says a lot about the great IH community we have here.

8. scout2000

engine + drivetrain update

engine + drivetrain update

I had a couple of issue with my Advanced Adapters clutch/flywheel items back from post # 101 & 102.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=894205&postcount=101

Turns out I got parts for a Dodge NV4500 vs. GM NV4500. Thats all sorted out now.

The attached picture is my new drive train being test fit into my chassis.

Its amazing how well everything looks like its going to fit. Currently, it does not look like I will even need to modify/cut my tunnel cover for the (NV4500) transmission shifter.

The jury is still out on the transfer case shifter.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. ziggybock

ziggybock Farmall Cub

Looking good Jerry!!

-Z

scout2000 likes this.
  10. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

:punk:

Jerry,
    That's gonna be dead sexy.
    [​IMG]

scout2000 likes this.
  11. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Yep!!!! Need some more pics too!!! :)

scout2000 likes this.
  12. scout2000

Thank you all for your comments on the new power plant, they are appreciated. I am still very happy I had the exhaust manifold(s) ceramic plated. I think they look great vs the standard/rusty cast iron finish, and comments are that it will help to lower engine compartment temperatures. We will see about that though.

I just happened to be in the fab shop that is doing my drive train to drop off some transfer case parts, and they were doing some test fitting.

I had taken half a dozen cell phone pictures, and they were all horrible. The one I posted was the least objectionable. :(

I will take some better pictures next time I am there.

Merry Christmas BP,

13. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Yes, better pictures are a must! :D

Looking pretty great Jerry. Nice to see forward progress.
    Hope all is going well, and you are looking forward to an awesome New Year Celebration.

scout2000 likes this.
  14. scout2000

Here are a couple of (at least a little bit) better pictures of the new powerplant being test fit into the engine compartment.

I suppose that I have larger worries & concerns, but right now one of the biggest regrets is that I didn't go and purchase a die grinder and smooth down the casting marks on my exhaust manifolds before having them sent out to be ceramic coated.

Before final installation, the engine block & pan will be painted IH red. The heads will stay their (natural) aluminum. I have another set of aluminum valve covers that I am having powder coated IH red.

The intake is going to be a surprise that I am saving for later to share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. scout2000

Freshly programmed PCM + spare

The attachment shows two PCM, one is the original that came from the donor vehicle with my Gen III engine, and the other is a spare. Had this swap happened a year or two ago, this would have been one of those post that most people would have breezed by, where it was more for me and the documentation of my build.

But, fast forward to 2014, I had purchased a new wiring harness from Painless wiring back in post # 89 here:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=889144&postcount=89

which came with a PCM reprogramming. And to some extent, Painless still provides that service as part of the purchase of a wiring harness. The short story here, as shared by Painless, is that the govt is cracking down on what they can and can not do as far as reprogramming PCM, so I ended up going with a 3rd party service to get everything I needed programmed for a 1970 vintage off road vehicle, including O2 sensors, VATS/security, emissions, etc.

I'm still happy with my Painless wiring harness and I don't regret purchasing it, but it appears that they are no longer able to legally provide full PCM configuration services as they had in the past.

After some looking around, I ended up using a company called LT1 Swaps out of Missouri. Pretty good pricing, very helpful and quick turn around.

The second unit is a spare, configured identically to the first. I have had several knowledgeable people comment to me that PCM's never die and the spare is/was wasted effort on my part. I've covered so much new ground (for me personally) on this build, that I have spares for just about everything I can reasonably have a spare for, that isn't available off the shelf at your neighborhood NAPA or O'Reilly.

I know that others are doing similar swaps, and I hope that this saves someone some heart aches.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. scout2000

Valve covers

These are some old aluminum valve covers that were pulled out of the trash pile then gifted to me at my fabricators in Burleson. The block is painted "IH Red" from paint I got from Tractor Supply. I took an extra can of Tractor Supply IH Red paint and these valve covers down to the powder coater last week. The can of paint was for the purpose of matching colors.

I asked to have the tops of the bosses left raw as that is where the coil packs mount, and I made an assumption that I would probably need a good engine ground.

Sorry for the blurry picture, they were just texted to me. I am going to pick up the valve covers tomorrow, and I will repost some hopefully not-so-blurry pictures tomorrow.

That said, blurry picture aside, I think that they will look great and should "pop" against the aluminum heads.

Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

gwinter1129 likes this.
  17. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Sexy! (insert woof whistle here)... :beer:

CS

scout2000 likes this.
  18. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

Jerry, very nice build. I knew you would educate me in something, Greg

scout2000 likes this.
  19. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

Jerry, you were going to shoot us some pictures of the sun visors after they were covered and plated. Are you still working on them, Greg

scout2000 likes this.
  20. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

Jerry, you mentioned bench seats. I kept mine also instead of going with bucket seats like so many seem to do. I like the nostalgia of them plus I'm too old for rock crawling. Did you get them recovered? I'm waiting on a price to have them it recovered and door panels. Greg

scout2000 likes this.