Jerry's 1970 Scout 800A build thread

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by scout2000, Sep 1, 2013.

1. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Yep, I absolutely remember that thread. I need to go and hunt it down. It has been years since I've gone thru that thread.

As I recall, the end results weren't exactly null, but they were definitely a far cry away from the desired results, and especially for the effort and materials expended.

This stuff I've stuck in here now is, and is intended to be temporary, but I definitely need to hunt down that thread to reproduce the stuff, that did make a difference, for when my Scout is ready.

800bman likes this.
  2. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Yes sir that’s how I remember it too! Great info though with decibels measured and everything!

scout2000 likes this.
  3. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Evolution man! Since I've been here, a certain unnamed person has moved from chrome to stainless to powder coating (that one seems to be a pipe dream) to magnets. Guessing the next evolution will be fairy dust for the paint job :tt2:.

scout2000 likes this.
  4. scout2000

Ahhh....that fairy dust would just be too new-school for me.

if anything, it would be metal flake. And not just any metal flake, but bass boat level metal flake. :)

Much to the disapproval of local friends, reproducing this (below) is still the long term goal.

It seems that my friends here locally would just have me leave the body as is. If I had the proverbial nickel for every time I heard "it took 50 years for that thing to look like that, why would you want to mess that up?"

scout-1968-800a-blue-X.png

oneof3k and 800bman like this.
  5. scout2000

Well, I did some searching thru the archives, and I believe that this is the thread in question, authored/kicked off by Comanche Scott. Wish he was still with us here, he had a lot of great post.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...g-down-the-scout-800-lots-of-pictures.106679/

Unfortunately, most of the posters to the thread, choose to post their pics with throw-away image hosting sites, vs posting here on BP, so most of the images are dead. :(

6. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Jerry do you know what happened to him?

scout2000 likes this.
  7. scout2000

Nothing bad, as I recall, I think that life just got in the way, in combination with obstacles of successfully transplanting the Cummins "the paint shaker" 4bt into his 800.

My understanding is that he sold his ride to one of our Light Line dealers, and he silently slid away from the Binder limelight. Wish he was still here. Great forum member who made great post, both to his own thread(s), and also many helpful post to threads of others.

oneof3k likes this.
  8. scout2000

800bman likes this.
  9. scout2000

Hood adjusters - long post on small details.

So I was over at hotrod.com reading articles/looking at pictures, and came across this.
    mustang.hood.adjuster.jpg

Here: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/refurbishing-your-engine-bay/

Then I was able to find these for sale @ Eddie Motorsports here::

https://www.eddiemotorsports.com/product-p/ms275-16.htm

Mine looked every bit the 50 years old that they are, and they took a bit of effort to remove. I needed to remove an old/OEM one to figure out the size. Yea, I know most of you can just look at a fastener and automagically know the size && thread count. That is not one of my super powers. Then, once I had it off and had figured out the size, I had to break out the tap-n-die set to clean up the threads to get it re-installed. Its seen some better days. What was once rubber has either turned to hard rubber or carbon.

IMG_2122.JPG

These are the new/replacement ones. Probably seems to most like a silly or trivial post. And you would be correct. Pictures don't do these justice. I'm almost always mesmerized by shiny billet things, and these are just as smooth as butter. If you're still here with me, thanks for looking !

IMG_2124.JPG

subldoed, RinTX, MuttMike and 3 others like this.
  10. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Those look good Jerry..!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    scout2000 likes this.
  11. scout2000

Thank you.

At some point and after an ever increasing number of frivolous purchases, I'm fully expecting to win a "lipstick on a pig" award !

1.pig.lipstick.jpg

oneof3k likes this.
  12. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

Jerry, where did you get those swank billet washers that you are using with those buttons to replace the IH bolts (to the left of your new shiny bits)?

scout2000 likes this.
  13. scout2000

Ah....with the picture with the green painted sheetmetal? that is not mine, that is from the reference hotrod.com link and is installed on someones Mustang.

Right now, (and specifically for areas that don't warrant the strength of grade 8 fasteners), I'm just using standard stainless steel fasteners, along with antiseize.

FWIW, I believe that most of the billet stuff in those pics are available from Eddie Motorsports (link above). Assuming you get get past the pricing, yes they are proud and charge accordingly, is the issue of acquiring fancy fasteners that are also fine thread.

I had just got the parts yesterday. $WORK is keeping things hopping, so I haven't had time to install, but just wanted to share.

jeff campbell likes this.
  14. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

You got my vote for sure !

oneof3k and scout2000 like this.
  15. scout2000

Out with the plastic, in with glass && chrome

Disclaimer - probably not an exciting post, this is mostly to document part numbers/parts for the future, although I also hope it might help others.

Reference this pic/post here - I'm dumping my old plastic Scout 800A/B backup lights, to be replaced with Scout 800 glass and chrome back up light. FYI - Chevrolet used these same back up lights (minimally) on late 1950's pickups too, and they are available brand new.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...0a-pre-build-thread.113378/page-4#post-814757

So anyway, a local club member gave those to me, along with the wiring harness stuff that goes with it, so I could just plug in and be official. Unfortunately, 50+ year old plastic can get pretty nasty and crumbly. I knew I needed new connectors, etc, and I asked here as I had no idea what I needed:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...or-scout-800-a-b-backup-light-harness.140748/

Thanks to recommendations of forum members, I now have brand new connectors to install, to go with the new-to-me backup lights. Got these from Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8J5BZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1packard56.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  16. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

My first reaction was to call you an a$$hole as you just cost me yet another small sum of money :2guns:. But after cooling down for a bit, I must now thank you! (I've needed a couple of new connectors for quite a while now, just ignored that issue). And I didn't want to purchase 100s of them.

I'm looking at this question from an originality perspective and not an emotional or technical one: why did you swap out the backup lights?

And while we're in the question/answer mode, why dear Sir, do you refer to the tail end of the 800 series' as 800a/b vs. 800A/B? I'd respectfully ask what you're dash badge thing/strip below the glove box says, but I think you replaced the entire dash?

Happy Father's Day Jerry!

800bman, scout2000 and jeff campbell like this.
  17. scout2000

Purchasing hundreds!?!? There is some optimism for the future! Do you really think that many Scout will run thru your hand that you will be able to used hundreds of connectors? I purchased a (3) pack. That lets me replace everything, and leaves (1) spare for the future.

While there is a time and place for everything, I strongly believe the time and place for plastics in motor vehicles is a very minimalist one. Call it a personal preference, but I just don't care to see those lumps of plastic out back, when I could see shiny chrome and sparkly glass. To each their own. Mine is <not plastic>.

Thank you for the Fathers Day wish.

I'd never noticed I was doing the lower case a/b vs A/B. Good you called me out and set me on the straight and narrow. I avow to mend my evil ways !

jeff campbell and oneof3k like this.
  18. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Still laughing at that one. I'm one of those guys that purchases in bulk, especially related to Scouts as I do have a few in my backlog. I'm set for the next couple of builds in the spring bushings, body mounts, gasket/seal kits and many other categories. Mostly so I don't have to reinvent the wheel each build. But I only ordered the same three pack, not 100s!

scout2000 likes this.
  19. scout2000

This comment reflects back to me and when I first joined Binder Planet, seemingly a long time ago. My 1970 is my 1st 4x4 vehicle. In past lives, I've done several muscle cars, and in jumping in, I mistakenly thought that most of that knowledge would bleed over into 4x4 restoration.

As a 1st time Binder owner, I've spent a significant (and I do mean significant) amount of time reviewing the forum archives coming up to speed.

An ever recurring theme I continue to see here on BP, is where PO's (previous owners) have done horrible things butchering the wiring harness, causing any number of problems, up to and including dash fires. Automotive electronics, especially late 1960's/early 1970's vintage is pretty basic stuff. Over the past couple of months, I've posted a small handful of junior level electronic/wiring questions to different sub-forums here on BP. Could I have just "made it happen"? Yes, absolutely. I'm really trying hard to do the electronic/wiring stuff the right way, in an effort to avoid being "that guy/PO. Hope this provides some insight.

oneof3k likes this.
  20. ebuck11

ebuck11 Farmall Cub

Jerry - sincerely thanks for all the research and organizing you have done. I have been reading yours and a few others. I just bought a 1966 scout 800 a few weeks ago from a barn in Nebraska. I will start my own thread, but hopefully will steal all the tricks you taught me and make it look easy. Although since I am new to all of this, I have a distinct feeling my work will be wanting and I will be paying for lots of outside help!

Attached Files: