Jerry's 1970 Scout 800a build thread

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by scout2000, Sep 1, 2013.

1. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

It has been some month since I have made a meaningful post here, or, any updates on my 800a Scout and I though I would share where all my recent clock cycles/$$$$/etc have been going to.

Back in 2014, I decided that I had no intent on making my offroad 1962 Scout 80 a driver and figured I needed some way to tow it, which I explored here in this thread:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...ler-can-a-scout-800-realistically-tow.123824/

In the grand scheme of things, and as a result of the comments made to me in that thread, I decided that I had all the following going against me/my 800a for use as a tow vehicle;

* short wheel base
    * lifted 4x4 vehicle
    * driver with limited towing experience.

some type of plan B was in order. Some time later, a (Binder) club member had a co-worker who's father-in-law (follow all that?) was getting up in age, couldn't drive much anymore and was interested in parting with his 1993 Dodge Ram D350 Dually. I went out and looked at it, drove it but could not agree on a price.

Plus, wasn't sure what I was getting into. Vehicle was just a laundry list of extremes. Low miles (94K) for a Cummins 6BT vehicle. Water based paint had already peeled off in sheets as common of most vehicles of that day. Interior was covered with a thick Mexican blanket day 1, and seats were in immaculate condition. Estimate that vehicle had never spent a night under a roof, i.e. outside for the last 25 years.

Also, does the vehicle look to be sitting low? It is, all due to that tool bed. Home made from 1/4" steel. That tool bed weighed more than the truck. Took (2) winches to ultimately cut and lift off.

Anyway, this vehicle sat for almost 2 years, ultimately, waiting for me. The original owner had passed. Not only a great guy to visit with, but a Korean war veteran. Family shared pics from funeral. Army provided him a fancy military funeral, 21 gun salute and all. Terrible way to acquire a vehicle, but, summer of 2017, it is now mine.

IMG_0983.jpeg

IMG_0984.jpeg

2. scout2000

So here is the close/final post on the Dodge Ram D350, then back to the Scout 800a.

As bad as things look on the cab, I took my newly acquired D350 to my body-n-paint shop for examination prior to drop off. Got a kick out of his comments, quoting verbatium, "this is the straightest old rust bucket I've ever worked on". Good to hear, but money always finds other ways of being spent.

So anyway, spent a bunch of $$$$ on paint, address/give some love to a few minor suspension and drive line issues that accumulated over the last 25 years. New windshield glass. Replaced every piece of rubber and trim, thanks to LMC.

Still need to get old bumper installed, same buddy who made the bumpers for my 800a is making me a very similar front bumper for the truck.

Once body & paint were complete, put on a (lightweight) aluminum CM Flatbed. If this is/was a work truck that was going to earn its keep, would have went with steel, but this isn't, hence the lighter weight aluminum. This vehicle's primary purpose is to pull a trailer with a Scout on it.

Current pics as of this weekend. Just like the Scout, still a lot of progress to make, but always happy to be making progress.

Now, back to the Scout.

IMG.0980.999.jpg

IMG.0981.999.jpg

IMG.0988.999.jpg

3. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Jerry, this looks awesome! :beer:
    What an excellent transformation. Hope your Scout isn't jealous...
    They make a pop up camper designed for a flatbed. Could save a lot of hotel money... :)

Yep, definitely an excellent choice for a tow vehicle. Will serve you well.

scout2000 likes this.
  4. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Wow!! Very nice Jerry - looks brand new!!! :thumbs up:

scout2000 likes this.
  5. scout2000

Thank you sir, I certainly feel that it is well on its way.

Interior is next. Just meant to be a short blurb, but, this is the only legitimate reason I haven't been posting actual Scout updates.

6. Kenneth Barber

Kenneth Barber Farmall Cub

I have spent so much time on these forums and have seen soo many cool things...I am starting to loose track of what I want...but I want these!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scout2000 likes this.
  7. scout2000

Start a list, and start accumulating parts, along with verifying they fit the way you need them, before you actually need them.

As for memory, yellow sticky notes is all I got. If I am assured of anything, chances are strong that I will never receive one of these awards. :)

146650.jpg

winchested likes this.
  8. scout2000

Another set of visor's

A friend knew I was obsessed with these visors, and had located then purchased these for me off of eBay.

Here is my original set, from post #125

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...t-800a-build-thread.119223/page-7#post-907415

Aside from sharing my new-to-me item, I would comment that neither set that I own has any markings on them. This is in contrast to the single visor that Randall found, that is very distinctively stamped "Fulton".

visor.red.small.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  9. chris@profab

chris@profab Farmall Cub

How did the door handles work out?

scout2000 likes this.
  10. scout2000

Awesome.

And one less set of chrome pieces that I now no longer need to get replated.

It seems like one way or another, pretty much every little piece for the 80 && 800 are still being reproduced. I remember just a few months ago, that member "Mutt Mike" found out that the fancy washer fluid squirter on the hood, was still in production, originally used by 1950's vintage Ford trucks, if I remember correctly.

It possibly didn't seem so at the time, but IH was very AMC like, in as much as that farmed lots of parts out to other manufacturers, vs making their own.

Kenneth Barber and chris@profab like this.
  11. chris@profab

chris@profab Farmall Cub

Interesting
    I think I need allllll of the parts. Ha

Thanks Jerry. That's a very nice Scout you've found.

Wombat and scout2000 like this.
  12. scout2000

Thank you for the comment, I appreciate it.

Seriously though, that stuff is there not only to help everyone else, it's there to help me. I've got a '62 Scout 80 to get serious on once the 800 is complete, and its my plan to duplicate a significant portion of what I learned from the 800, to re-use on the 80.

Well, I say learned. I spent A LOT of (not hours but days) time reviewing the forum archives. Its closing in on 50 years since the last Scout rolled off of the assembly line. Pretty much anything I might want to do to a Scout has already been done, no sense in me re-inventing the wheel.

I duplicated everything I could, from the people in the archive who put in the time and effort, to figure stuff out the first time around. Its always my 1st plan to learn from the successes and mistakes of others. No one wants to have to learn from the-school-of-hard-knocks, but sometimes, it can't be avoided.

13. chris@profab

chris@profab Farmall Cub

Agreed. The information in a community like this is invaluable, there doesn't seem to be too many assholes even. I appreciate you sharing, and others. I could go on but I don't want to clutter your thread here too bad for others who read through to enjoy as I have.

14. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

That Tow Pig looks brand new!

Kenneth Barber and scout2000 like this.
  15. scout2000

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  16. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Gotta be IH related as it's all metal; there goes yet another 3 hp :hammer:.

Kenneth Barber and scout2000 like this.
  17. scout2000

Aaaahhhhhhhhh.................don't do that.

Mike had a great find, even if it is a $60 water squirter.

Its so cool, but yet small, minimally, its HP neutral.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Kenneth Barber likes this.
  18. chris@profab

chris@profab Farmall Cub

I literally have 4 of these, one on every hood I've purchased. Are they supposed to be rare? or they quit working? Only one is pitted, the rest still look very nice.

scout2000 likes this.
  19. scout2000

I think you pretty well summed it up. My opinion only, but, if you have one that is; pit-free, good chrome, and squirts well. Exterior chrome wise, and special models excluded (i.e. Aristocrat), the 800 hood emblem seems to be an exceedingly difficult item to locate, with the V8 "V" emblems in a close second. And, those two emblems are not being reproduced.

The side marker lights, both the lens' and chrome frames are not yet being reproduced, and one of our favorite dealers (tongue-in-cheek) wants an exceedingly large sum of money for a very nice, but used, set of these.

OTOH, over the past year, Mutt Mike located a source for the wind-shield squirter. Although original ones, that both look nice and function well are not common, assuming you are willing to put down the appropriate sum of money, It appears that there is a source for those.

I think you have also been watching the Scout 80/800 exterior (non-twist) door handle thread(s) also. I haven't figured out who discovered that certain models of Mack trucks were using the same exterior door handle, but right now, just happy for the discovery and that the discoverer shared what he found.

chris@profab, jmait769 and oneof3k like this.
  20. chris@profab

chris@profab Farmall Cub

V emblems are in aftermarket reproduction, fyi.

I'll have to hope my squirters work...

scout2000 likes this.