Jerry's 1970 Scout 800A build thread

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by scout2000, Sep 1, 2013.

1. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

Frayed knot. D'ya know anyone at NASA or related labs in the DFW? Word is those guys have a "few" big printers on hand.
    There were some promising hobbyist, MIG based, systems being proposed a couple of years ago but they seemed to have languished.
    There also seem to be a few job shops, to which one can send a CAD image and they will print it, but I have never priced any.
    Let me know when you get yours running. ;-)

--Mike

scout2000 likes this.
  2. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

I don't think I've ever seen those but you might check the Land-Rover, Morris Minor estate, and Mini repop sites. They used latching sliders.

scout2000 likes this.
  3. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I thought Davis Brown (db1115) had cornered the market on those and was collecting all he could find to keep demand up. :)

4. scout2000

Nope, all my friends are in "low" places. I am in DFW though.

You're welcome to set up your tent in the back yard as you go on your quest.

Otherwise, if you are going to wait on me, you may be waiting till I win the lottery, good and proper. Thats when I'm going to take care of all my buddies here on Binder Planet. First thing I'm goina' do is get Jeff Campbell one of those giant pizza's from San Antonio.

5. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

Hope it's a thin-crust Chicago style pie, cut into squares, with _lots_ of toppings.
    --Mike

scout2000 likes this.
  6. scout2000

well ........................... its kind of an old story, from when Jeff was tempting us about coming down to the Texas Hill Country to attend the Binder Bash, just shortly after one of the Hill Country Binder members had posted a pic of himself and his son with a giant pizza.

tres.pizza.jpg

800bman likes this.
  7. scout2000

Dana 300 transfer case parts

After ~10K of driving, my Dana 300 transfer case has decided to spring a leak. I'm told, that the pan on these transfer cases' is frequently a weak point and also a frequent location for leaks to develop. I saw that Novak had this spiffy part, which also will provide the opportunity to add more aluminum (alloy) to the Scout.

Fingers crossed this fixes things for a long time. Visiting with a (local) friend, who commented, I've never owned a transfer case that didn't leak.

:(

outside.jpg inside.jpg gaskets.jpg

JP800A, jmait769 and MuttMike like this.
  8. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

you'll have to let me know how this works out for you. I have been eye ballin that for when I rebuild my dana 18. hopefully you'll put a great deal of miles on it in a short period of time.

scout2000 likes this.
  9. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

Jerry,
    the original Dana covers serve the same purpose as the oil seals in the English roadsters: when there is no fresh oil on the drive way, your out. Add more!
    ;-)
    Cheers.
    --Mike

scout2000 likes this.
  10. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

I have the same pan. :)
    It is worth it's weight in coolness factor.

Acetone, and medium strength thread lock compound is definitely worth while, when doing a Dana transfer case. The thread lock compound works like a sealant for all the bolt holes that aren't blind. Let it set up for a day before refilling.

scout2000 likes this.
  11. scout2000

+1

And part of the IH corrosion prevention program, i.e. continually leak oil on everything possible in an effort to stop corrosion in its tracks. :)

MuttMike likes this.
  12. Hyrum

Hyrum Farmall Cub

Hey Jerry does your cage mount to the frame? If so do you have any pics of how that is done? extra brackets welded to the frame, holes drilled etc...

Thanks

scout2000 likes this.
  13. scout2000

Hello Hyrum,

Sorry for the slow reply, I have been out-of-town the last week, unfortunately not to persue fun issues.

Regarding my cage. I believe you are already aware that my cage came from D & C Extreme/Eric Younger.

Currently, only mounted to the body. Frame extensions are on the "to do" list, but I am not there yet.

I would also share, I have had my cage for a few years now. Especially if you are looking at this cage, I would give Eric a call up, and see if he either has something for you, or could fab it up.

Eric is a super guy, even just to visit with, and I recommend D&C Extreme highly.

Good luck, I'm watching your build thread already, so maybe you will get this accomplished before I do.

14. Hyrum

Hyrum Farmall Cub

Yes the D&C is what I'm looking at. I knew you had that cage, I guess I'm trying to figure out if whatever I would need to do to connect it to the frame would be easier to deal with before I get the body on. I have talked with Eric a bit but that was not part of our conversation. I will have to give him a call on that. Thanks for the reply. My build is happening slower than I imagined but isn't that always the case.

scout2000 likes this.
  15. scout2000

Thanks for the note. Looking forward to hearing what you find out. If it turns out Eric & crew are fabing something up for this, I will be ordering the same ASAP.

Initially, I though your comment (above) was not only true but universal.

A couple of months ago, I picked up a new Scout tow/trailering vehicle, in the form of a 1st gen, 1-ton Dodge Cummins vehicle. Low mileage for what it is (89K) but still needed some love in specific areas. The Dodge is literally progressing as fast as I can throw money at it. Wish either of my Binders were moving that quickly.

16. Slewis325

Slewis325 Farmall Cub

I can vouch for the D&C cage. I put my 800 on its top three days after I installed the cage. The only issue was a few more dents and a busted windshield. Eric does have a solution for tying the cage to the frame. Give him a call.

Darrel and scout2000 like this.
  17. Phil B

Phil B Farmall Cub

Jerry,
    I'm putting in a vacuum brake booster exactly like your set up. Could you help me out with a better picture of your mounting plate for the booster? Do you know the angle or have measurements for it?(top and bottom from the firewall) Thanks in advance.
    Phil

View attachment 123783
    View attachment 123784 [/QUOTE]

scout2000 likes this.
  18. scout2000

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the note. Just a summary of the under-the-hood brake components, I have the standard 1969 Corvette master cylinder that everyone uses when they convert to 4-wheel disc brakes, the booster is from a Jeep TJ (I have a *lot* of TJ parts it seems), and the bracket is the cobbled together remains of the OEM IH one.

If you really want additional pics, etc, then certainly I am happy to provide, but...
    If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't have done it that way, and, as my '62 Scout moves forward, I'm definitely not going that way.

Eric Younger/D & C Extreme has a great brake bracket. We have a club member that has this, and it looks great.

http://dandcextreme.com/product/scout-80-800-power-brake-booster-conversion-kit/

Good luck with conversion. If you are in the mist of a conversion to rear disc brakes, especially with a daily driver 800, I really recommend you review my rear brake issues, and all the problems I had. Dumped a ton of money into the Cadillac rear disc brakes. Never worked right. Finally bought the upgraded kit (come from the same company, TSM), that has some incredible Wilwood calipers, and I can't say enough good things about the new rear brakes. Don't let the Wilwood thing throw you, although I do consider them to be a much higher quality brake. They're the same thing used on Corvette's, so if you are a couple states away with your Scout, and somehow trash your brakes, you can get parts from your nearest NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Hyrum and Comanche Scott like this.
  19. Phil B

Phil B Farmall Cub

Jerry,
    Thanks for all the information and taking the time to reply. I wish I had seen the D&C kit earlier. I already have the booster, balancing valve, and master cylinder. I'm just trying to engineer the attachment to the fire wall. I might contact D&C to see if they will sell the bracket parts separately. Otherwise I will just make my own adapter plate.
    Thanks again,
    Phil

scout2000 likes this.
  20. scout2000

The individual bracket, that would be my plan of attack also.

Shawn Lewis (post #476, right above yours), has the D&C bracket, and I was very much impressed.

Please share pics and keep us all in the loop on what ever path that you choose.