Jerry's 1970 Scout 800a build thread

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by scout2000, Sep 1, 2013.

1. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Hello Scott,

I had actually purchased the Hurricane Electric P/N IP-3100-90 from Olds Air last last year, just to have the core parts ready to go, but I had not acquired any of the cabin accessories, such as vents, etc.

They (Olds Air) sell plenty of competitively priced plastic vent items, and no doubt those would work just fine. OTOH, although it doesn't necessarily translate via picture, those billet aluminum vents and an engineering marvel, at least as far as heater/AC vents go, and they are really neat just to hold and play with in your hand. Olds Air is proud of these and charges accordingly, and I am a sucker for stuff like this.

Whether or not there is an AC kit in the future for your Scout, next time you find your self at a high end car show or automotive parts show, where Olds Air has a booth set up, I would invite you to check out those vents. I was impressed anyway. YMMV. :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Kenneth Barber likes this.
  2. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Your new vents look like they came off a Pagani Huayra (my favorite non American car ever made :))
    I bought and installed the Hurricane 3000 a few years back. Still haven't put the compressor on the engine yet... lol

scout2000 likes this.
  3. scout2000

Hello Scott,

I'm using the compressor from that shipped with the donor engine, and it would be great to have the AC installed by next summer. Currently the Scout generates enough heat that I did OK without a heater.

I had never heard of a Pagani Huayra and had to hit up duckduckgo.com just to see what one looked like. Pretty slick car. Any chance one will be sharing a garage with your Cummins powered Scout? :) There is no doubt it is out of my budget.

pagani-huayra-11.jpg

4. Comanche Scott

Only in my dreams! :)

Living in Texas, that AC would be high priority! :cowboy:

scout2000 likes this.
  5. scout2000

Sigh.......and (hopefully) rejoice.

Please reference attached image. My new rear disc brake kit. Certainly hoping this time is the "charm".

Not sure what the glare is on the new calipers. At least, uninstalled, they are a very nice looking powdercoat black in person.

This set came directly from "TSM Disc Brakes". The one drawback to this set, at least IMHO, is there is no provision in the calipers for an emergency brake. As things currently stand, I will likely go with a "transfer case" brake, unless something changes. The whole fiasco with my last set of rear disc brakes played out here in this thread:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...for-rear-scout-2-dana-44-disc-brake-s.135658/

and is ultimately how I ended up here.

Thanks for looking

rear.brakes3.jpg

Darrel likes this.
  6. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Jerry I hope you have better luck with those...but IMHO, I like generic parts that I can get at any parts store.

scout2000 likes this.
  7. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

I concur that is a visually appealing AC vent. $97.50 ea:uhh::uhh::wacko:

I'll stick with my $14 vents
    AC vent.jpg

I've been really happy with my Old Air Products Hurricane A/C system. :yes::yes:

Phil B and scout2000 like this.
  8. scout2000

Thanks for the post, and I understand about the parts store availability.

In contrast to the comments in the brake thread, my kit worked fine...for about 2000 miles till the calipers let go. It sounds like you are using an earlier, pre-metric caliper that will not interchange with the later (metric) 1979-1985 caliper.

I had sunk a significant amount of money into the rear disc brakes, and, quoting one of my boss' from an earlier life, "when you find yourself in a (financial) hole, the first step is to stop digging".

Thanks for wishing me luck, but I'm hoping I don't need it.

gwinter1129 likes this.
  9. Comanche Scott

Here's to "Whoa Power" that matches all that "Go Power." :beer:

scout2000 likes this.
  10. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

Jerry, are you an old Unix hacker, like me? Or is that just your garage heater?

scout2000 likes this.
  11. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

All the OLD timers I know swear by Stuart Warner gauges. I've used Sunpro and AutoMeter as they match the stock 800 era gauges best (IMHO) but they are all made in the PRC and not the highest quality.

scout2000 likes this.
  12. scout2000

That's a (relatively) new, probably 15 year old Sun equipment rack in my computer room. I do Unix and Network administration. Cut my teeth on AT&T 3b2 mini computers and Cisco AGS+ routers.

If you know what either of those are, you will date both of us.

I'm a big Sun fan though. I just had a guy fly me up a Sun SPARCserver 1000e plus disk array(s) from a medical research center in Austin. All free of charge, aside from a hand shake and a thank you. You meet the nicest people in the world here in Texas.......as long as you stay off the road. :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  13. scout2000

Yea.......I know......now.

It always sucks having to learn lessons from the school of hard knocks.

I'm trying to seal the deal on a new (to me) tow/trailering vehicle, so my focus is there currently + planning a week long trip back to Big Bend for an off road excursion with some local friends. As such, I haven't been devoting the time I probably should have to gauges.

I still think the AutoMeter gauges look great, unfortunately they were not of the highest quality.

14. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

LOL, brother. I'm a UC CS rat and stepped in around BSD4.3/SVR3 time frame. Even spent some time out by you on "Bernet Road" workingon Ain't unIX. Big SunOS/Solaris SMS fan. Pitty, Small world.
    I said ,years ago on BinderBulletin, that Scouts were the UNIX of SUV/offroad vehicles. :)

scout2000 likes this.
  15. scout2000

Right now, Oracle Solaris and SPARC hardware, and the work that I do building & maintaining systems is what keep the magic happening and moving forward with my Scouts.

Lot of good BSD* memories also. Built out my first ISP back in 1995 with BSDI boxes + Livingston terminal servers. Not me alone. A retired manager from Levis-Strauss and a B-52 pilot. Good times!!!

16. scout2000

hello MuttMike,

I'm looking at your tagline here:

70 800a 5.3 LM7/4L06E/D300, PS, PB, D44F&R, seat heater, 30G tank

Specifically this line entry.

Aside from the transmission, it appears that we have very similarly built out 1970 Scout 800a's.

I'm in the mist of deciding that my 15 gallon tank is too small, and I see that you have a 30 Gal tank on your 800a. Can you share more about your 30 Gallon tank???

17. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

Jerry,
    my project is still on "blocks", as it were, and I'm not sure if my tank set up is a keeper ( I think it will work fine).
    It required cutting the rear floor and and building a step-up from the rear seat area to the tailgate.
    My reservation is the clearance from the 3rd member to the skid plate. I will limit the travel with longer bump stops.
    I should also say that may goals for this project are for a daily driver that is a stout/reliable trial rig, but I do not plan to run KOH or any extreme rock crawling/look-at-me-big-daddy type of events.
    I also want to be able to use "stock" Chevy replacement wear-parts, so I can get them at the local parts store in Bufu Utaheradoexas.
    So..... I found a K5 TBI tank with fixed metal baffle so that I could run an in tank pump.
    The pump was another story and I think I found a combo that will supply the fuel pressure I need and a pick-up assy that fits the tank (if that makes sense).
    I should also mention that the PO installed 2-2.5 lift springs and a 1" body lift.
    The tank is from Dorman and the stinger and pump is AC Delco.
    [ edit]
    It occurred to my that it was confusing and possibly rude to post pics of my project to Jerry's build page.
    images deleted.
    [edit]

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    scout2000 likes this.
  18. scout2000

New steering column

As short as I can make this story is; ~year ago, as my builder was winding down my build, he lost the building he had set up shop in (another long story in itself). In an effort to complete my project, a GM style column was installed. That original column proved to be of low quality, and had caused me non-stop problems since the installation.

A local club member introduced me to Ken Helms, owner of “The Column Shop” in Mesquite, TX. As the name implies, Ken's shop does nothing aside from build, rebuilt and repair steering columns.

I visited with Ken, who ,in turn, built me a column from scratch beginning with an early 1970’s GM van column. Specifically went that route as there was no PRNDL on the column. Anyway, he built it out the way I wanted, I now have tilt, cruise, and the ignition key is back on the dash and off of the column.

Words alone cannot express how happy I am with this new column, after fighting the POS that has been in its place previously.

new.column.jpg

19. MuttMike

MuttMike Farmall Cub

Jerry,
    that column is "dead sexy", as the Britts would say.
    I've never even thought of CC on a Scout, usually too busy trying just to keep 'em going straight on the Highway! :)
    I have seen hand throttles on the dash for PTO gear... ;-)

--Mike

scout2000 likes this.
  20. scout2000

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the post.

It wasn't just the new column. Ken (The Column Shop) went thru the entire steering assembly. Everything is tight and sharp.

It difficult to describe some things online, I'm typically a "hands on" guy, but it is almost like driving a different vehicle.

Regarding the cruise control. Truth of the matter is that I planned that from the beginning. I'm a terrible highway driver. If I'm not speeding excessively, I'm the guy that is speeding up/slowing down just enough to annoy you if you are behind me.

The cruise control helps me keep my license, and makes me a better highway citizen. That's the plan anyway. :)