Jerry's 1970 Scout 800A build thread

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by scout2000, Sep 1, 2013.

1. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Hello Tracy,

Please see attached image. This is the RHS/pass. side hood bracket. These are the only holes you will need to make in your Scout to use this kit.

Also note, I did not care for the provided mounting hardware, and, as with the rest of my vehicle, I replaced them with stainless parts to my liking.

hood.bracket.jpg

Bussy and gwinter1129 like this.
  2. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

thanks Jerry. Isa is currently out of stock on these but has put me on the list for notification when they come in. I'll be getting these and the wiper upgrade kit. I decided to not even mess with my original wipers. Took forever just to figure out how to get the wiper blades off since the PS was wallowed out pretty bad. Thanks again for the pics.

scout2000 likes this.
  3. scout2000

Tracy,

I just sent you a note regarding wipers.

Please check your PM's.

4. razorback1973

razorback1973 Farmall Cub

Hey Jerry,
    I just got around to reading your build thread, and I must say your rig is one of the cleanest I’ve seen! That thing is really in pristine condition! The PO must have kept it garaged since 1970. I have almost the exact same Scout…..1970 800A with the 232 straight 6 and the manual 3 speed tranny. Besides condition, the main difference that I noticed between the two is the ABSENCE of undercoating on yours. Mine has rubberized undercoating under the entire body and all up inside the wheel wells (which will have to be removed before paint). As far as I know, it is factory. Maybe back then, if you didn’t purchase undercoating, you really didn’t get it!

Question… Before your engine swap, did you happen to take any pics under the hood? As you know, there is not a ton of info out there on the 232. Mine came in pieces, so any pics you have will definitely help me with routing of wiring, vacuum lines, etc…. Also, I hope you haven’t been throwing out all the original parts that you’ve replaced! If you’re willing to let go of anything, let me know. Good job on what you’ve done so far! :thumbs up: -- Dan

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    scout2000 likes this.
  5. scout2000

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the post. I purchased my Scout from its original owner. He had purchased it from the McKenney, TX IH dealer. My understanding was that he was an IBM employee who did an early retirement (in his 50's), then had used the Scout to begin a 2nd (retirement) career as a wildlife photographer.

I can't speak authoritatively to the undercoating issue. My first thought is, is it listed on your Lineset ticket? Then as I think further, many times, speaking generally and not focusing on IH, undercoating was a dealer add.

I just quickly reviewed my "Scout Encyclopedia", and it discusses zinc and galvanized parts, and also spraying parts with hot wax in later years of the Scout 2. If your LST doesn't have anything, it might be worth it to hit the forum archives and/or reach out to Jim Allen (BinderBookie) to see if he has any insight.

I don't have a lot, but what I do have is in what I call my "pre-build thread" here:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/jerrys-1970-scout-800a-pre-build-thread.113378/

This was primarily a thread I had put together for my body & paint guy who lives in further south around the San Antonio area.

Nothing has gone to waste. There has been someone who has wanted or needed every part I have pulled out.

Thanks again for your post.

Do you have a build thread started for your Binder? Please share.

6. razorback1973

razorback1973 Farmall Cub

Dang! I was sure hoping you still had those bucket seat sliders (rails) and that air cleaner. I have been working on mine for about 3 years now (weekend project). I have not started a build thread yet, but I have taken lots of pics along the way, and I intend to start one soon. Here's a teaser pic for ya... scout_2.jpg

Gary Spargo, gillis51 and scout2000 like this.
  7. scout2000

Thanks for the pic. Great looking 800A.

In regards to the air cleaner (and the engine), the original owner had spent a LOT of money to have the engine rebuilt. When I made the decision to move away from the AMC 6, I went out of my way to make sure it found a good home. That engine was ultimately shipped to the NE part of the country and is living in a Comanche.

As far as rails go, I may have an extra set. I need to look at my spares pile. If I do, I will PM you.

That said, I expect that there are probably a lot of spares out there. As you look at all the 800 build threads, a lot of people swap out the OEM low-back seats for something more modern. I suspect that there are a lot of spare bucket seat sliders out there in Binderland that need a new home.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  8. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Great job on the bumpers and the trip report Jerry! :thumbs up: :thumbs up: Know that was a lot of fun and makes all of the work worth it! :yes: Cool Scout!!!

scout2000 likes this.
  9. scout2000

10. scout2000

This post documents one of those small victories that many would just look over, but exterior door handles was one that I had been struggling with, for at least a couple of years.

Please reference the compare photo, new handle next to original. Not sure what the deal is with IH chrome, at least on my Scout. All the chrome parts are/were poc-marked. Door handles, running lights, etc.

Originally, I had a 5 Gallon bucket of items to go to the chrome shop, at a time when my Scout was in paint and body. I’m very happy that the number of contents in that bucket continues to shrink, and these handles are just one more item.

Aside from re-chroming, I had considered using handles from a 1967-69 Firebird, I had considered using Scout 2 handles, only to have a forum member sell me (2) RHS ones (no, they aren’t reversible), and had looked into several other options.

Also, reference the bottom photo. box includes new mounting hardware, gaskets, etc. Very nice.

Anyway, glad to see that these are still being manufactured brand new. Its a small victory, but one I had struggled with for some time. Enjoy.

handle.compare.jpg

handle+box.jpg

Darrel likes this.
  11. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

I thought pitting in the door handles helped keep hands from sliding off... ;)
    Looks great Jerry.

gwinter1129 and scout2000 like this.
  12. FlatpickII

FlatpickII Farmall Cub

Jerry - Thanks for sharing the door handle info, they look great. Have you installed them and if so do they line up with the stock holes and latch mechanism?
    Tom

800bman and scout2000 like this.
  13. scout2000

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the post. Just to come clean, this isn't something that I discovered on my own. If you search the archives, I expect that you will find a couple dozen different discussions from other 800 owners looking for new door handles. Anyway, at least I have. Just in short, this recent door handle tread popped up and bore fruit:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/scout-800-exterior-door-handle.134800/

Apparently some Mack trucks use this door handle also, which is probably why they are still in production.

FlatpickII likes this.
  14. scout2000

New stainless exhaust system, back half pic

My wife had last week off for spring break, and that seemed like the perfect opportunity to finally have an exhaust system installed. Previously, I had been driving around with nothing more than exhaust manifolds and a burn’t-out set of glass-packs.

I’m very happy overall. As much as an exhaust can change things, to my ears, it did a lot. I can still hear the exhaust at low speeds, but at highway speeds, my Scout is quieter than my wife’s Jeep. I’m not delusional, its not a Cadillac, its still a Scout, but I have been very happy with this recent investment.

After a number of great recommendations, the exhaust work was done by Kinney’s in Watauga, Texas.

ss.exhaust.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Bussy and jmait769 like this.
  15. Comanche Scott

Looks great!
    I like the bolt in cross over, and the way the pipes exit the rear corners.
    I'll be it sounds pretty great too. :beer:

scout2000 likes this.
  16. fasteddy46

fasteddy46 Farmall Cub

It's turning out nice. Those are some good looking door panels. Did you test fit them at all yet?

scout2000 likes this.
  17. scout2000

Test fit looks great.

Final fit not till the Scout is back from body && paint. Till then, door panels are safely stored away in spare bedroom/Scout parts storage space.

18. fasteddy46

fasteddy46 Farmall Cub

Thats great I may be ordering my own soon. I've made a lot of progress on mine. I haven't posted any of it yet. I've been dropping the ball on that's one. Looks like your's coming together nicely.

scout2000 likes this.
  19. scout2000

billet.vents.jpg

A/C parts

Collecting items for my A/C/heater system. Billet vents from Olds Air. I'm purchasing an entire system from Olds Air, but I suppose a person could use these with any system. These vents are just incredibly neat gadgets to hold in your hand, play with and marvel at their functionality.

20. Comanche Scott

Sexy!
    Which system from Old Air Products are you going to use?

scout2000 likes this.