Jerry's 1970 Scout 800a build thread

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by scout2000, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Hey, Jerry;
    Does your state have regulations about where the plate needs t be positioned? Also I'm sure you're aware you need to consider how well it will be protected, and if it will be 'legally' visible when pulling your trailer. What area does that allow moving it to?

2. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

I use the heck out of thread-serts. Bought a whole kit that goes from #8 up to 1/4" (about the largest that can be done with the tool that works like a rivet gun).
    Here is an example of the it I picked up from Napa.
    https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0126105

scout2000 likes this.
  3. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

Thank you all for the explanation. Is there a minimum thickness of metal for these to work or do they work like regular rivets? Would you use these in place of welding a nut to the backside of a panel, say where the nose piece attaches to the front side panel? Greg

scout2000 likes this.
  4. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Hello Dana,

thanks for the post.

Good question. I do know, that there are plenty of other trucks on the road with license plates mounted in the bumper that pull a trailer.

Honestly, it was never an issue that I gave any thought to. Anyone else here in Texas have any thoughts on this? I suppose that if it does become an issue, I can always move it back to the OEM location.

Jack H likes this.
  5. jr90

jr90 Farmall Cub

The plate should be fine in the bumper, that's where most plates are now anyway.

scout2000 likes this.
  6. scout2000

Hello JR90,

Thanks for the note. On one hand, that was my opinion also.

OTOH, that is why we all stick our stuff up here online, for peer review and scrutiny from others.

Dana, and Comanche Scott also, since your location is also set to California. Do the trucks/pickups in your area not have the license plates installed in the center of the bumper? If not in the center of the bumper, then, where???

7. Comanche Scott

I looked for this in California's rule books. All I could find was the license plate has to be easily seen and lit with a DOT conforming light. For passenger vehicles the yearly tag has to be on the rear facing plate. For commercial trucks (big rigs pulling trailers) it has to be on the front bumper, and does not require a light on the front plate.

On the Jeep I moved it from the far left corner (similar to the original Scout mounting), to the right side of the tire carrier, and used a license plate light for a boat trailer. I plan a similar thing for the Scout.
    I've seen them inset into tail gates on strange angles, etc. on custom trucks.

Attached Files:

gwinter1129 and scout2000 like this.
  8. Dana Strong

I can honestly say I haven't looked to see where new vehicles have the plates, and haven't looked in the vehicle code book in years. I do know there have been circumstances where an officer has used any reason on the books to pull some people over, when he had a curiosity or suspicion about something ... and this might be a good reason. On the other hand, so long as the trailer plate is visible and current, maybe that sorta negates the need for the Scout plate to be easily seen.
    I will mention that when re-hooking heavy (loaded = can't be moved) trailers, it's easy to back up too far and to have the tongue hit the bumper. That's what I meant about protecting the plate. Not sure how, if it's center mounted; guess you just need to be more careful (and never let anyone else borrow or drive the Scout) so it doesn't happen.

scout2000 likes this.
  9. Dana Strong

Some of those I saw on one of the pages I pulled up worked on metal from 0.030" to 0.090" thickness, IIRC. Yes, they get swaged into place. Most nuts that are welded on are for much larger bolts, but the purpose is the same. The 1/4"size might use both methods.

gwinter1129 and scout2000 like this.
  10. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

Dana thats great info. A lot of the welded nuts on my scout were missing, good alternative.

Jerry, I asked my son the cop. He of course doesn't know all state laws but he said the same thing Dana said,as long as the trailer has a plate, if not you have to see the plate on the truck. Just to show the difference in states, I got stopped in Pennsylvania for having my trailer coupling in the hitch with no trailer attached. Could have cost me $180. Never would have known. Greg

scout2000 likes this.
  11. scout2000

Hello Jack,

A bit late, but true to my word. Here is the rear mount. Nothing fancy. Quarter inch angle iron, with a cut out for the rear shackle. I haven't cleaned underneath, or done anything since my trip, so it is what it is.

z.rear.bumper.mount.jpg

gwinter1129 likes this.
  12. Comanche Scott

Nice set of Springs! :)

scout2000 likes this.
  13. scout2000

Hello Scott,

Thank you for the post!

This is the spring set:

http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/CPT-S80-800-LIFTKIT.html

The extension a result of my May trip to Marble Falls offroad park for the Hill Country Binder Bash.

I rubbed on the rear quarter panel. I wish it was from some cool offroad adventure, but it was merely from driving from my camp site to the showers. :(

14. scout2000

Jack,

I hope this pic was what you needed. Let me know if it isn't.

Also, I grabbed a picture of the front if you need that.

Hope this helps.

15. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

That's exactly what I needed, thanks! So, it looks like there are 2 bolts on the frame portion (1 at the bottom of the cross member, and another in front of the spring perch) is that correct? Does it feel pretty stout? If you have a readily available pic of the front, I'd be curious to see that as well.
    -Jack

scout2000 likes this.
  16. scout2000

17. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

both from IHPA?

18. scout2000

Hello Tracy,

I purchased my wiper kit from Isa November 2013.

Isa Ismail
    Scout/Light Line Authorized Dealer
    661-269-0272
    www.isasih.com
    www.shopisasih.com

Bussy likes this.
  19. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Jerry, were these difficult to install? Did you have to remove or loosen the dash panel in order to get into that area? I'm about to give up on my original vacuum wipers and looking into these. Also, where did you mount the hood struts? I haven't scrolled all the way through your 200 page build thread :tt2: to see if you put up pics of both installs.

scout2000 likes this.
  20. scout2000

Hello Tracy,

Thanks for the note.

The wipers weren't that difficult. I really had (2) issue. I'm not much of a visualizer from just instructions, and I ended up searching the forum archives just to see what the wipers looked like when installed.

The only big issue I had was getting the old stuff out without destroying it. Sadly, I did mangle things a bit. I did not take my dash out to get it installed, but.....I did remove the (dash) mounting screws & bolts. I also pulled out my OEM radio so I would have more room to move around.

Someone more mechanically inclined than myself I am certain would have been more graceful.

Regarding the hood struts, you have to drill (8) holes, (4) per side, into your hood braces. Overall, it is a high quality kit, and I am glad that I have it, but, before you do the install, I highly recommend that you have the bare steel parts painted/plated/powder coated/etc. Reference my post && pictures here:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...-800a-build-thread.119223/page-17#post-965610