JB Fabrication D-20 Twin stick Install

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by 235frog, Apr 26, 2008.

1. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

I recently purchased a twin-stick kit from JB Fabrication. I bought it off of ebay as it said that it was specifically made for the Scout dana 20 setup. I had to replace the front output seal on the t-case so I just thought that I would do it all at once. Unfortunately it was not as "bolt-on" as I would have liked. Once I removed all the old linkage.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I had to remove the t-case to get the linkage off. Someone might be able to do it while it was in the vehicle, but I had a buddy to help me get it in and out so, I just wanted to make it as easy as possible for both the front seal and the linkage. [​IMG][/IMG]

As you can see there really isn't much to this kit. In fact after seeing what it consisted of I felt kind of stupid for not having the skills or friends that could just fab one up. But I am short in the area so I shelled out some cash instead.

2. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

Once I had the new seal in and the new sticks installed. I put the t-case back in the truck. It actually wen in a lot easier than it did last time I took it out.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Now this is about the point where my buddy Evan pointed out that the new shifters "probably" don't fit in the normal t-case shifter slot.

3. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

Now I want to preface this by saying that the instructions that came with this kit said that it 'MIGHT' need to be modified depending on the application. So I was warned. However, when something says that it SPECIFICALLY made for an INTERNATIONAL SCOUT DANA 20 I assume that it should work. I know, I know rookie mistake. :stupid: The transmission cover didn't even get close to fitting with the new double sticks. I don't have a torch to heat the shifters and then bend them to shape. I will get to it, but I want my scout back together. So the sazall came out and enlarged the t-case shifter slot to this. :thumbs down:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

I know it looks ridiculous, but the levers do work and for now, it's good enough. I will clean it up and get the levers bent in the future so I can install the boot that came with it. Yes the new shifters should be about 3" longer to be closer to a good length and I don't know why they weren't designed that way.
    All in all, I would recommend to anyone that is thinking about going with this kit to really, REALLY be sure you can't source a kit from a vender that knows scouts instead. It works, and I am happy about that, but it could be made better.

4. Socha's75Scout

Socha's75Scout Farmall Cub

I have been debating on whether or not to purchase this twin stick set-up for my Scout II......now I know......

Thanks for the warning......

5. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

If you know before hand to bend the levers, it would work out fine. Yeah the levers are a bit short, but I do have a 1" body lift. I just want people to know BEFORE they get to where I was with my t-case in but not having things fit.

6. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

These are the pic's of the finished install, after some bending, cutting and patching to fix the tunnel cover that I chopped up before I was able to get around to bending the levers.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Everything works the way it is supposed to. Levers are a bit short even after I bent them more upright though.

7. txsuper79

txsuper79 Farmall Cub

I have this "kit" as well. You dont have to heat the bars as the instructions state. I stuck one end of the shifter bar down in a slot on my trailer and it bent with little force. Not much to bend it.

I cut my shifter slot about 1/4-1/2in on one side which is covered up by the boot. I could of spent a few more minutes and not even had to cut, but the boot ring was bigger than the slot so in it went.

I did have my transfer case and transmission out at the time I purchased the shifters which made it easy to get the old one off. I actually installed the shifter after everything was in because the shifter installed would have been too high to roll under the truck and maneuver. It was very easy to install in my opinion and works great.

Hope this helps the next fellow.

8. christopher

christopher Farmall Cub

dang, i havent installed mine, but i thought they looked short......i think i'm gonna lengthen the flat part and add like 7 or 8 inches...........

i'm not to excited about the not being able to use the original peice that goes around the boot.....

chrome, what was i thinking?

9. Joe D.

Joe D. High Wheeler

Shorty shifters seem to be popular right now. I've seen them in a lot of rigs, especially with the atlas transfercase. They look strange to us, because international saw fit to use a very long shifter. I suspect this is because the dana 20 can sometimes be hard to shift, especially when they're a little worn and filled with the wrong fluid. If you think about it, when you shift into low range, you're engaging two different sets of gears, and sometimes they don't align right.

With the twin stick, you're just shifting one side, alignment is easy, and very little force is required. That's been my experience, anyway.

10. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

I don't know the reasoning why they made the shifters so short, but they shift a lot easier than when it was a single stick. I was trying it out and somehow my brand new shift boot tore a bit at the base. Oh well... now it matches the rest of my scout. :tt2:

11. christopher

christopher Farmall Cub

235frog, hey man wasnt talking poop on your rig, i just kinda like the arm longer, no biggie.
    did you grind dont one of your pin so you can go f2wl?

12. christopher

christopher Farmall Cub

and i know the instruction show to mount them the way you did, but if you would have flipped the shifter so that the long flat peice went in instead of the way you did they function better, well atleast it does on the transfer case on my living room table.......

13. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

I bought one of their kits for my 300 when I went to put it back in I would have had to cut out the transmission tunnel to fit it in so I had to just go back with the stock shifter I was very unsatisfied with their kit:mad: of course as you said we were warned that some trimming may be required but I didnt think it would be all the way into the transmission tunnel

14. 235frog

235frog Farmall Cub

I just bolted the kit on. I did not get around tearing into the case and removing the plunger pin(?)
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...nsmission_category#faq_ihcfaq_twinstick_tcase
    I have shifted it through all the different ranges and the only one I can't get is 2wd hi in the front. I can get 2wd lo front and/or rear, just not front hi. When I get around to having to rebuild the t-case I will look into doing that, but for now it seems as though it will work the way I want it to.
    As far as cutting the tunnel cover. Well, if I hadn't already been working on it all afternoon and having to run back to napa to buy another seal since the first 3 they sold me were the wrong ones I probably would have thought it through and just bent the levers before I finished installing it. :censored: After they were bent though, they almost fit in the old t-case lever slot. I think I only had to widen it up by a 1/2" or so. Patience is a virtue and sometimes I just run out and try to shortcut things which just comes back and bites me in the butt.
    (Plus it gives me an excuse to use my sawzall :oops:

15. franco424

franco424 Farmall Cub

I realize this thread is a few years old but figured I would give my question a shot: How much longer would you have wanted the shifters? JB Fab will make them up to 6" longer for a minimal fee. I run a 2" BL and was considering getting them to make me a longer set of levers.