It's not the alternator...

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by justplainscott, Mar 1, 2014.

1. justplainscott

justplainscott Farmall Cub

My battery keeps dying and through Ty's excellent tutelage, I've managed to replace the (I thought) faulty alternator. Thing is, now that I've changed it, I'm still reading beneath 12 volts (11.88, as I recall) when the engine's running.

My engine is the same late '90s GM 350 that it was when I brought it out to Harrisonburg.

What I wanna know is where to look next. :confused:

2. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

It's the alternator. :tt2:

3. Mike Moore

Old School way to check it:
    Unhook the ground cable from the battery. Take an incandescent test light and put between the loose cable end and the bare battery terminal. It will light up, indicating a draw on the battery. Start poppin' out fuses one at a time until the test light goes out...THAT is the circuit that has the draw on it.

Seriously, though...sounds like the alternator. I'd unplug it first thing after you put the test light in there. I've paid money for a bad alternator more than once...and that sounds like the culprit in this case.

4. Mike Moore

If the weather is decent 3/15, we'll have a little wrenchfest in the parking lot after dinner, and see what we can determine there.:punk:

5. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

You can actually bring it over anytime I'm home, but definitely on the 15th if you don't want to wrench in the dark.

6. justplainscott

I'm gonna have a go at the fuses.

I'm hoping to get it up and running (correctly) before the "major winter event" tomorrow. I tend to feel safer in the Scout than in the Fit here in the city on days like that. Richmonders are afraid of the rain. The snow is a whole 'nuther problem.

Also: Mike - really? It could be a bad alternator? It's brand new. How do alternator makers stay in business with that kind of frequency.

And Johnnie: You're on. We could set up some times here or on FB. Lemme know

7. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

You'd be surprised. Unless they were rebuilt on this continent, or in this country chances are that its faulty. I went thru about 3 until I got one that worked properly on my Willys (GM powered)

As a matter of fact, the last time that I replaced an alternator in an IH product was in the parking lot of an O'Reilys in Charlotte NC with Mr Moore on the assist. Maybe it's just him?:oops:

JJ in TN

8. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Scott, sorry I didn't see this until now. I have been driving my Scout all day and just sat down to eat and saw it. I good any night this week. I believe, unless the boss says different. Just give me a call. 8048148132

9. justplainscott

The fuses were a dead end but the alternator pigtail looks a sight, so on the advice of Mr. Moore, I've ordered a new one. It should be here by Thursday. If that's still not the problem, I'm gonna yank the alternator and have it looked over.

All things being equal, I'm hoping to effect the repairs before next weekend. If not, I may try for a weekend visit, John. Two brains - in my experience at least - are better than one.

Thanks, everyone, for the help. Engines and their components are pretty far outside my ken. I feel better with y'all lookin' over my shoulder.

10. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Not meant to butt in, just passing this along. We have had very good luck with a local shop that rebuilds your old starters and alternators . It usually takes a day or two but if there's one in the area and you're in no rush, it's another option to keep in mind.

11. justplainscott

HA!

It WASN'T the alternator!

Ty came over - in the rain - and figured out the missing link. Turns out I needed to connect the new alternator's sensing wire as well as its exciter wire.

I'm on the road again.
    :scout:

12. Mike Moore

That does help...the whole if-ya-unhooked-it-ya-oughtta-hook-it-back-up thing. It gets all of us sometimes...most of us just never admit it in public.;)

13. justplainscott

Your judgment cuts me deep, Mr. Moore. :dots:

The old alternator only had the one wire.

14. Mike Moore

Whatever you gotta tell yourself to sleep at night.:D