Its not International...But its cool!!

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by ddedman, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Here is another adventure that I'm taking a part in. What we have here is a 1925 American LaFrance (chemical) fire truck. We have been harboring this piece of history for some time now. It was mothballed in 1983 with a cracked head. Up until that point it was still in service mostly for parade duty. I'm excited to get it running. If you have any experience with the LaFrance line of motors please drop me a note. I would love to talk.

[​IMG]

I have posted a photobucket link for your viewing pleasure.

http://photobucket.com/KFD25LaFrance

2. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Contact SPAAMFAA, Society for the Preservation and Appreciation of Antique Motor fire Apparatus in America.

There are experts in al things fire truck in that group and if anything, they are more hrlpful than this bunch! [if that is possible].

3. Sprint 6

Sprint 6 Farmall Cub

Cool truck! So what kind of engine configuration is that? I noticed it seems to have spark plugs in a circle around the heads. Is it a six, or is it posibbly two sixes in a common block, I know they liked he 12 cylinder engines in later models.

4. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

SPAAMFAA is first on my list. Its an inline 6 made by American LaFrance. Big *** cylinders with multiple spark plugs each. This thing is the true meaning of sexy... and heavy.

5. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

I concur. :D It's not an International, but cool none the less:punk:

6. 64dumptruck

64dumptruck Farmall Cub

Its not a Ih, but its heavy as hell, rides terrible, and gets bad gas mileage so its close enough to an IH:D

7. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

that thing is pretty nice. If it wasnt so old it would be like new...:D
    lol I mean its all there, no missing parts, just like when it was new there was no missing parts!!:tt2:

8. nctom

nctom Farmall Cub

Wow! This thing is so complete it's unreal. The talent and attention to detail given to the gold leaf and striping is a lost art for sure! Nothing escaped being decorated.

I have a couple of quick questions if you dont mind. In pic # 86 there appears to be petcocks or compression reliefs on top of the clyd heads. What is thier function? And, in picture #86 is that sprocket driven assembly for the speedometer?

I sold truck parts for years here in the Carolinas. I got to know the guys at Seagraves when they opened a second facility in Rock Hill SC arround 2005. The manager was telling me that you can still get any engine part back to thier early models from the company. They still have all the molds and tooling to generate blocks, heads etc... The factory was also listed as a main bombing threat target durring WW2 and had fully stocked bomb shelters under every building. I guess they were building military stuff durring the war effort. They are still there today and are used as tornado shelters.

Awesome project! Keep us posted on the progress.

9. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Those petcocks are used for priming the engine for cold start.

Most of the gold leaf decoration is still available I comes reary made but requires knowledge of gold leaf techniques to be applied.

10. nctom

nctom Farmall Cub

Ahhhh.... Hard to pour fuel into an updraft carb. Gotcha!

11. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I saw a huge fire truck in a boneyard with an IH engine in it (either a 549 or a 605?) and it had two complete ignition systems. I think it's pretty common in fire trucks, be a bad day if you were just about to call it 'under control' and the engine quit.....:oops:

12. Stan Lazeski

Stan Lazeski Farmall Cub

I live just outside Elmira NY, home of American LaFrance, most of the original buildings have been torn down and not much remains to let anyone know that ALF called Elmira home for over a century. Elmira and later an Elmira suburb, Southport were once billed as the “Fire Truck Capital of the World.” I have heard that during the good years, they would produce around 400 trucks a year. We also had Ward LaFrance in Elmira Heights building trucks, including fire trucks.
    I remember in the early 80's I believe, that ALF celebrated its 100th anniversary of building fire fighting equipment, they had a huge parade down main street. Everyone with an American LaFrance truck that could bring them did, there were antique fire trucks and lots of current fire dept. fire trucks in attendance. Even the Goodyear blimp was here. Was not long after that FIGGIE moved the plant south and said they were not going to build fire trucks anymore.