Is there a list of everything needed to put a LS in a Scout II?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by lightningflash, Jul 29, 2020.

1. lightningflash

lightningflash Farmall Cub

The Scout I bought a few weeks ago has a bad water pump and it's leaking oil and blows a cloud of smoke when started. I'm not sure I even want to mess with this motor and thought about maybe just pulling it and putting a LS motor in it...but I'm wondering what is all needed and the approximate cost of doing a swap.

Anyone have a list of stuff needed and an approximate cost?

I see AnythingScout has a package of stuff for 3k.

My mechanic suggested just mating the LS to the 727 but this package looks like it's for a trans swap as well.

https://anythingscout.com/collections/conversions/products/complete-kit-ls-swap

2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I think if I had a S2, and was hoping for a "kit" to be as complete as possible, I think the anything scout one is as probably as good as it gets. That out of the way, I don't know if you've ever done a drive train swap before, but I've never seen one that is just completely turn key. There almost always is small details, little problems and misc items that sometimes will take years to get fully ironed out.

As long as you have a good understanding of what you are getting into, and are OK with that, you're good to go. Having a thick and self replenishing wallet helps alot too.

vince konicki likes this.
  3. lightningflash

Yeah, I've never done a swap but I've watched enough car shows to know that whenever you changed engines and/or trans you always run into unexpected problems. I believe that I could do a swap but this year is the first year that I've had a pole-barn to do it in but I have a 19 year old daughter and my wife and don't really have anyone to help if I need it, not to mention the time. So, I would hire the swap to be done. I talked to my mechanic this morning and they are going to put the word-out to their suppliers (local junkyards and such) that we're looking for a LS motor.
    I'm just trying to get a ball-park figure on how much to expect to spend.
    Do they make a LS to 727 adapter?...or would it be easier to buy a pre-1986 sbc 350 and get the adapter plate to the 727 ?

I'm just trying to figure -out options, cost, and what is easier?

4. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

You be better off getting a 4.8 or 5.3 with a 4L80 trans and adapt it to the dana 20 or find a NP241 pass drop or an NP205 pass drop. Or a jeep dana 300.

Why waste the time putting a new motor in against that old trans and not get the OD?

scout2000 likes this.
  5. Gordon Pomp

Gordon Pomp Farmall Cub

Anything Scout all the way. I just got mine back a while ago and they have done enough swaps to expect the unexpected.

6. lightningflash

You had AnythingScout do the swap for you? How much did it cost, if I may ask?

7. Gordon Pomp

Gordon Pomp Farmall Cub

Really depends on a lot of factors. I got a brand new drivetrain and not a take out. There website says they start at 18k for take out swaps.

8. mporter52

mporter52 Binder Driver

Anything scout has the best LS stuff in my opinion. I've run the numbers and its $7-10k if you buy the prebuilt stuff and do it yourself. It really depends on the state of your current scout and how cheap you can get the driveline. If you are good at fabrication you could probably do it for less. But why try and reinvent the wheel?

9. Gordon Pomp

Gordon Pomp Farmall Cub

No Lift Motorsports in Kansas specializes in LS drivetrain takeouts. They have great prices and they redo the harness to be a 4 wire installation. They remove anything GM specific to make it plug and play. Good spot for your drivetrains.

10. scout2000

What "winchested" said, that's the ticket on the transmission.

Are there adapters for the 727? I've never seen nor heard of one, but still I would put down money that one exist some where, for some exorbitant price.

Chances are good, both the cheaper and the better plan, long and short run, is to dump the 727, and go with the 4L60 or 4L80. transmission. Unless you're building a dedicated rock crawler or similar, its always a big plus to come out with an over drive transmission.

11. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I also agree with Tom on the 4L80 trans...but it also snowballs from there...with the od, youll also need axle ratios to take advantage of the od...and that's also affected by tire size....
    it all needs to work together as a package..
    heres a LS to 727 adapter...$567.10
    https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...en-3-vortec-to-jeep-torqueflite-transmission/
    it says jeep 727 though..not sure if its the same as Scout

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    scout2000 likes this.
  12. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

Stay with the SV. Much better engine. Contrary to popular belief the LS is not the be all to end all of vehicular woes or deferred maintenance. Just fix and drive what you have. You will save a ton of money. Yes I am a purist and happen to like the IH engines. They run fine and are easy to fix/maintain.

1975IH200 likes this.
  13. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Ligthningflash, I wouldn't let your mechanic source the engine from a third party without your oversight. You're likely to end up with an motor missing a lot of pieces or needing a lot of work and/or with unknown/falsified miles at a higher than market price. What I would recommend is finding a complete vehicle or at a take out that includes all the brackets, exhaust, accessories, wiring, sensors, coil packs, computer, transmission, etc. If you buy just the motor or even worse a stripped motor it'll cost a *lot* more money. Finding a low mileage motor still installed that you can verify the mileage on the dash and hear run would be ideal. You can also run a carfax and see if jives with the seller's claimed mileage. You'll also want to decide which engine model you're interested in. There have been a lot of improvements since they were introduced over 20 years ago. There are around 50 plus versions and displacements from 4.8 to 7.0. Not all of them come with a power steering pump setup - which you'll need. And definitively don't use the 727. It has a terrible first gear ratio, no overdrive, plus you need a $500 adapter.
    SV vs LS. Well, the LS is more durable, makes around twice the power, has more low end torque, weighs ~300 lbs less, and a 5.3L gets 40-60% better fuel mileage. Not even close.

David Banner and scout2000 like this.
  14. scout2000

This pretty much just sum's it all up. unless you're doing an SV 304 to 345 swap, or something similar, you really can't call this an engine swap. You've got to look at your entire drive train, and all its supporting systems.

Darrel likes this.
  15. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

What exactly is more durable?

16. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Cam bearings for starters.

17. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

Flies at a picnic. Minor peskies that come with old stuff but still might have MILES of good use.
    While LS swaps have proven successful on many platforms, turning a good horse to pasture in it's prime for lack of knowledge is wasteful.

SV engines are noted for puffs of blue smoke on start up. Mine does that especially after a hard pull up a mountain on a warm day. Kind of embarrassing these days with all the "cleaner" rigs around.

18. scout2000

Lightningflash,

What ever you end up doing, I hope you will start a build thread and document your work here on BinderPlanet.

If you do end up pulling out the IH SV bits, and associated hardware, I can guaranty/promise you that someone else here need those part. Hope you might consider this as you move forward. Hopefully you can sell to make a small offset for your new stuff, but doing some homework and giving those parts away to a good home are better than them ending up in the dump.

Thanks for your consideration.

19. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

To meet the new stricter emissions requirements almost everybodies engines have been improved.
    As a result of tighter oiling systems (instead of burning your lubricating oil like a 2-cycle or SV (yeah, I'm taking a poke at you now...) , nikasil cylinder wall linings, hardened cranks, lightening while strengthening moving parts like rods and pistons. Tighter control of timing & fueling so you're operating the engine optimally compared to raw gas washing the cylinder walls of the SV on startup... About a zillion small improvements added up to a superior engine design. I don't think GM intended to build a 250k to 300k engine -- it just happened as a result of needing to remain emissions compliant for ten years after manufacture...

I rebuilt my SV and it's currently in my Scout. It was a fun challenge to rebuild for under $500 and I only blew that goal when I "splurged" on an after market Comp Cam to replace the OEM cam that lasted all of 80,000 miles before flattening a lobe/tappet... I only discovered that after I found babbet in the oil-pan of the "ran good when pulled" SV304 A I found.
    Maybe that was a victim of the "A" series cheapening of the engine, maybe not, doesn't matter, still didn't get to 100k without needing major work...

I don't compare the SV to a GEN III or IV anymore than I do a radial engine to a jet engine...

Enjoy the ol' tech for what it is -- no need to fantasize about what it ain't...

20. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

It's hard to compare today's technology to 50yr old technology...a LS engine can easily go 300k plus miles with no work needed...i had several of my own go to 280k+ and still have the factory sparkplugs in it...only thing every done to that one was a waterpump swap...
    regardless of manufacture, with the old tech, it was hard to get one past 100k without a rebuild
    I hope this doesnt turn Into a Intense discussion...
    in the end its all in what the man paying the bills wants...
    Build what you want and enjoy it..

David Banner and scout2000 like this.