Introducing project Wilma ('67 800)

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Scoutcamper, Oct 31, 2018.

1. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    You are correct Josh, those are RCS parts. Did he/she have the RCS dash pad buried anywhere? Is there anything left of the headliner? (hint hint)!

And as long as the boss gives you a small bit of leeway, you can never have enough Scouts!

2. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

The top had already been replaced with a later 7-hole version when the seller got it. The rest of the scout has already gone to the great scrapyard in the sky long since, by the time I got out there. He did recall it having a good red interior that he sold to a local scout owner several years ago. Hopefully it kept another RCS on the road.

-Josh

3. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

What kind of shape are the doors in? I'd like to get a nicer set for my 80. Keep me in mind if you want to sell/ swap

4. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Put a bit more work into Wilma this extended weekend. I wanted to go through and make sure I had no other major problems except for the carb.

Checking the basics, first I made sure it wasn't bad gas by running fresh gas from a gas can instead of the tank. No change. Switched back to the tank, tried spraying some gas from a spray bottle into the carb, seemed to help smooth it out. Hard to do because it was stalling so badly.

Started my tune-up stuff by pulling the plugs and running some cranking compression tests, all 4 cylinders were right around 115 - 120 psi. I put in new plugs, then a new spark plug wire set, and then a new stock-type coil, starting the Scout back up after each change. When I swapped out the coil, it actually ran worse, and when I traced wiring to look for problems I found plenty. I'm still convinced I have carb issues, but this can't be helping things.

I played around with the wiring and got it back to running in the same bad state of tune it was in before I swapped the coil out.

I also cleaned up the points and checked the cap but I'm going to hold off doing my Pertronix until I have it running better- no sense throwing the Pertronix on until I have the wiring sorted and have it running well enough to do timing.

Still to do: Build new engine harness,check voltage at coil and then verify that vacuum advance is working, then check / set timing. Then it's time to refresh & install the correct larger carb for the 196. Hopefully this will get me back on the road, after which I'll install the Pertronix.

I'm very methodical when I troubleshoot: 1 change at a time and verify whether it improved things. It helped me in this case, because if I'd just taken a shotgun approach and thrown on all my tune-up parts at once it would have taken me forever to trace it back to wiring issues when things got worse.

-Josh

oneof3k likes this.
  5. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

So just for the record, here's some pics:

The PO did a surprisingly decent job of fixing a melted bulkhead connector with some new wiring and bus bars. This repair is starting to show it's age. Specifically, the wire that supplies the coil with 12V is shorting out; I was able to get it to go from "not running" to "running as previously" by moving the wire harness around near the bus bar.

Harness Problems.jpg
    I'm sure the wire from coil - to the points is on the way out as well. Here's the new coil:
    20190528_193217.jpg 20190528_193201.jpg

Here's the old coil. Does this look like the an original OEM coil? I'm kind of thinking it might be due to the overspray and the fact it had pretty much melded with the bracket.

20190528_193325.jpg 20190528_193333.jpg 20190528_193342.jpg
    -Josh

6. CalebW

CalebW Farmall Cub

ive just read this whole thread and its really nice to see things come together!

7. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Not directly related to Wilma, but progress toward bodywork...

20190604_185305.jpg

Finally got my TIG setup hooked up and working. It's the AlphaTIG 201X that I bought with the money from selling my '86 Suburban.

I'm super excited!

-Josh

RinTX, Kenneth Barber and tim vaughan like this.
  8. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Did a thing today!

I finally sat down (with helper) to rebuild the correct carb for the 196 in Wilma. Only minor "oopsie" was the cam for the accelerator pump, which was brittle and snapped when I tried to take the linkage off. I swapped out the pump cam from the smaller carb that was under the hood, got the carb buttoned back up, and I've got my fingers crossed that I can get everything bolted back together in the morning.

Carb_Rebuild1.jpg
    Carb_Rebuild2.jpg

Carb_Rebuild3.jpg

Carb_Rebuild4.jpg

-Josh

9. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Carb is on and got everything except fuel hooked up! Not going to start it this morning, though...

I'm going to be extra careful and grab a new fuel filter and replace the line from the fuel pump- REALLY don't want any junk getting into the fresh carb.

-Josh

10. Kenneth Barber

Kenneth Barber Farmall Cub

Definitely getting things done. It was a sigh of relief to see that old nasty bumper removed. I can now “see” Wilma.

Biggest mistake I ever made as a kid 30 years ago with my 67 800...I didn’t replace the economizer valve when doing the carb rebuild because it was sold separately from the base kit...I got so mad because of how the 196 could not run smoothly when maintaining a speed limit...I yanked out the engine, hacked up the firewall and put in a SV8. Then years later I got my mechanic education on how carbs function...doh. BTW it is a backfire that can damage the economizer valve...which was all I needed to replace all those years ago...but no mechanic would tell me that secret.

Thanks for the reply about the side mirrors. I am looking for mirrors to install onto the A column and not be on the door.

Thanks for sharing Wilma. Congrads on the welder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scoutcamper likes this.
  11. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Wilma is back up and running, and driveable enough that I dropped off my helper at school yesterday morning!

I was fighting some frustrating problems since around April, but I think I am mostly sorted. Got a little more tuning up to do before I have confidence for a longer trip, though.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...800-4cylinder-not-running-right-ideas.142627/

I'm thinking I have a full wiring replacement in the near future. Probably in conjunction with body work, once it gets cooler here in Phoenix. For now, getting it fully driveable and then enjoying a few weekends on the back roads.

-Josh

12. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

maybe its bothering me more than you (I hate spammers), but I'm betting that you could hunt down a forum moderator and have them remove post #84 from your thread.

Kokomala likes this.
  13. Kokomala

Kokomala Farmall Cub

I think I reported that months ago...

scout2000 likes this.
  14. scout2000

Unfortunately, and many post from previous spammer threads suggest that the clicking of the "report" button goes nowhere.

15. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

The site appears to be on autopilot.

16. scout2000

hmmmmmm......I'm willing to give our moderators a bit more credit. Once you are able to get the attention of one of the site moderators, I've found everyone to be polite and helpful.

OTOH, it became obvious that clicking on the "report" button was a fools errand many years ago.

17. Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Super Mod from Downunder Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I am normally checking in here for around 4 weeks, then out for 2, If I am messaged directly about it, it is sent to my email. I did however have a 5 week break due to my wife nearly dying, with me sleeping on the floor of the hospital room after a flight home from work. Yes she nearly died, is she recovering, yes, but recovery will take 3-4 years.

18. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

CalebW and tim vaughan like this.
  19. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Paul, thank you for the help on removing the inappropriate spam.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad everything seems to be working out.

-Josh

20. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Alright, update on project Wilma...

I've worked through my ignition problems (knock on wood) and now I'm working on fine-tuning the carb.

I did my initial tune up, set the dwell to spec, optimized the vacuum reading by slowly adjusting the idle mixture screw, which brought the idle up a bit, reset the idle to about 650, re-tweaked the mixture screw, and called it good for a nice long test drive earlier today. Also completely freaked myself out because I forgot to remove the vacuum gauge from under-hood before my drive, and realized at about 40mph when I heard it shift around against the air cleaner. Got really lucky it didn't swing forward and meet the fan.

On the test drive Idle, tip-in, and heavier acceleration seem fine. I did, however, run into some bogging and a few exhaust backfires when trying to accelerate gradually from a cruise. If I backed off and then went for heavier acceleration everything seemed fine. I'm gonna dig back through some carb threads and look at the troubleshoot guide sections in the manual, but I'm guessing I might need to move the accelerator pump arm up to heavier shot setting. I may start a new thread if I can't get it solved.

I also got a cheap aftermarket radiator overflow tank and finally got rid of the zip-tied Lucas Gear Oil bottle the PO had set up.

I'll post some before / after pics in just a bit.

-Josh