International Harvester Model 111, 12/11/1951, repair question, interest query

Discussion in 'Irma's Place' started by grayhousefarm, Mar 4, 2018.

1. grayhousefarm

grayhousefarm Farmall Cub

IH 111 freezer running in basement since 1951-1952 in south central Washington State, stopped running 1 March 2018.
    3 March 2018 : unplugged, cleaned out, re-plugged in, compressor hummed as if to start, stopped after ~ 30 seconds; compressor housing removed, temp control removed & cleaned, start relay removed, all wire screws re-tightened, no corrosion observed on overload protector or motor compressor terminal posts, lead-in harness checked for abrasions, slight accumulation of dusk vacuumed from coils, temp control set to 7, plugged in, compressor started and ran for 6 hours, turning down to setting 2, compressor observed to cycle "normally", continues to run on setting 2 after ~ 24 hrs (4 March 2018).
    I will admit to more ignorance than knowledge with regards to mechanical devices, I do have a few multi-meters and did set them on the Ohm function and followed a few protocols that, if I was doing the right thing, suggested "no" problem.
    Question 1: how should I test components?
    Question 2: since we will move in the next 1 to 2 years is there an interest in the IH community interested in this beast?
    Configuration of 1951 house suggesting low probability this unit was placed in basement after house was completed. New basement entry would permit removal of unit; if, it could be brought up a flight of concrete steps. I have complete set of pictures of unit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Wish I could assist with your troubleshooting.

Regarding question #2, sure wish you were closer. Your unit appears to be in great physical shape. Unfortunately, you appear to be at the north part of the country and I am at the south. What ever you do, please don't scrap it. There is always people here who want/need one of these. Sometimes logistics take some time.

Good luck with your repair.

3. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

just so you know, all they do is hum. i have 1 similar to yours, # 11?.. mine just dont have the dividers,only the baskets. VERY nice unit you have there. well worth the price to get it back to working again. well taken care of from the looks of it.

scout2000 likes this.
  4. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Excellent detailed description of the situation. After many years of use, contact points do wear out; I'd guess that was what caused the failure on 1 March. If so, it may occur again on some 'random' occasion. Whether that happened in the main On-Off temperature control switch or possibly in a secondary starter relay would best be determined by direct testing of the contacts once it happens again. I didn't look carefully at all the pictures to try to understand the wiring/schematic/components used, but someone here might already know or be able to determine that.
    From what I saw of the main pictures, that Freezer looks to be in excellent original condition and Yes, someone here would probably be interested in getting and displaying it if you ever decide you no longer need it. Even if not used as a freezer, it would make a very good storage chamber, once thoroughly aired out.

grayhousefarm and jeff campbell like this.
  5. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

Without a compressor Annie, you might be shooting in the dark. Annie is short slang for analyzer and an actual tool refrigeration techs use on part winding start compressor motors. It can check capacitors also and help eliminate components to find the failed one.
    Sometimes things can run for years in a certain mode and then you change something as in turning it off. Then it won't start or suddenly does start because parts have an oxide or wear point that when you clean puts it back okay, or maybe. It used to bug me I would get a service call. Show up, clean a connection or turn a temp control and all is well and then leave not knowing how reliable I left it, but yet it didn't justify going further or the customer buying a new part. More often then not, all was well for years until something DID fail. I sent you a PM.

grayhousefarm likes this.