Intermittent soft brake pedal?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by MNScoutII, Jan 14, 2004.

1. MNScoutII

MNScoutII Farmall Cub

Have a 79 Scout II, 304, auto. I replaced the wheel cylinders recently and had new calipers put on the front by a local shop and had them bleed the system. Now my pedal gets soft every once in awhile. It will get soft and I'll really have to get on it to slow down, but then it will come back and be good for awhile. Do you guys think I just need to bleed again or is it time for a master cylinder?:(

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  2. Whyle

Whyle High Wheeler

I would check to see if any air is in the M/C, it all so could be bleeding off into the booster.

3. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Not unusual at all that another "bleeding session" may have to be held. The pros have just the same problems with bleeding hydraulic systems as the rest of us here on the BB, a very common and often-repeated topic!

If I "paid money" (which I rarely do) to have something done, I would expect them to stand behind their work, especially brake work which SCREAMS liability! The shop that did the brake work should be happy to bleed again if you approach them with the attitude that you're happy with the work they performed, but...."I still have a problem with the brakes".

Don't do anything to the system yourself until you let the shop deal with it. If you screw with it, the shop doesn't have to do anything else for ya! Sounds like you are capable of doing what needs to be done and I understand how hard it is to keep your hands off the stuff!

They should also be able to determine whether or not the master cylinder might be intermittently bypassing, a sure sign of a MC on the way down the tube.

You're already into the deal for some bucks, a little more cash for a NEW service part MC would be just be adding to peace of mind knowing the work you had done will meet your expectations.

If the shop won't take care of ya, then get back to us!!!

Michael in Oregon

4. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Sounds to me like your M/C is trying to tell you something nicely. Mine wasn't so nice! I agree with Michael, take it back to the shop that performed the brake work for you. They should back up their work. They might even cut you a brake (ha-ha) on a new M/C if not much time has passed since they worked on it.

5. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

AIR in system would give soft pedal all the time.
    possibly they ran the m/c out of fluid.
    partially sounds like a m/c bypassing but--------- as said take it back let them fixit
    maybe they just didnt adjust the rear brake shoes correctly.
    id call them to come and TOW IT to shop, you are afraid to drive it!