Intermittent park roll

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by theloneduck, Jun 29, 2020.

1. theloneduck

theloneduck Binder Driver

Noticed recently that sometimes putting it in park my S2 (727 trans) will still roll. When it happens I can shift out of park to drive and back again a few times and something will engage and it will stop rolling. If I lost shifting to other gears, I’d say it was the cable, but my shifting functions normally. Any thoughts on where to start looking? Do I need to rip into the trans to look?

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Before tearing into the unit itself, find a manual, online breakdown or other detailed information to study so you know how it's supposed to work and can guess what has happened so that yours doesn't.

Do you have a FSM or IH Parts book that would cover that transmission?

3. theloneduck

Yup have the fsm. I guess I don’t know how to read it as I don’t find it as useful as experienced people.

2dafloor likes this.
  4. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

The book written by Carl Munroe on the TF 727 is hands down the best and most thorough resource for these units. Well worth having on hand before attempting any major service on one. The way most any auto trans works when Park is selected is that a spring loaded rod called a Park Pawl rod engages into one of several slots on the governor, thus preventing further wheel roll until the selector is then moved out of Park. People often make the mistake of going into Park on an incline first and then allowing the vehicle to lunge against the pawl rod before applying the park brake, or worse yet, not applying the park brake at all before exiting. Both are incorrect procedure. When parking on an incline, the park brake should be applied first, then the selector placed in Park to avoid the lunge. Likewise, when coming out of a parked on incline situation, the selector should be placed in the desired gear before releasing the park brake. It's possible that some damage has occured to either the park pawl rod or to some of the governor notches as the result of incline parking lunges. Also placing the selector in Park before the vehicle has come to a
    complete stop could potentially cause damage, even though the rod is supposed to ratchet past the engagement slots when this happens. At any rate, you are likely looking at at least partial unit tear down to fully assess and address the issue.

Phearmonger likes this.
  5. theloneduck

Thanks, I will look at finding that book. This unfortunately isn’t on a hill, it is mostly flat where I park it. I do usually use the parking brake now when I put it in park because of the roll backwards.

6. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Yeah, once that lunge damage has been done, from parking on a severe incline, then it can be an issue when parking anywhere but a perfectly level surface.

7. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Here are a couple of the cheaper copies I find right now:
    Amazon:
    New or Used
    Ebay: Used

8. JeffsScout

JeffsScout Farmall Cub

Does it roll when engine is off? I had an issue with the cable after I had finished dropping in a new one. I found that the cable wasn’t pushing the shifter arm far enough into position (park) I thought I had big problems but I only had to adjust the cable at the actual shifter and that did it

9. theloneduck

yup, itll roll with the engine on or off. i can start in park after i stopped it rolling (ie used the brakes).

10. JeffsScout

JeffsScout Farmall Cub

It could be as simple as the cable not pushing the arm far enough into park. I would disconnect the cable from the shifter in the cab and then push the cable in as far as you can to see if there is any more space for the arm to move into the park position. You should be able to tell right away. You will then need to reattach the cable to the shifter but making the adjustment so that the cable stays in place. I hope this helps and is a nice easy solution for you. I wish I had photos to help describe. Let me know how you make out.

walkersscout likes this.
  11. theloneduck

That’s what I’m hoping it is.

12. Tom Rassier

Tom Rassier Farmall Cub

If after checking the shift linkage and other adjustments you still experience the same problem, it cold be an internal problem. The park dawg and business end of the park rod can be inspected by removing the tail housing of your TF727 transmission. The park ring and dawg may be in good shape, but if the ramp (located in the tail housing) or the ball on the park actuator rod have excessive ware, you could have problems. Also the rooster comb could be warn. That is the part inside the transmission where the other end of the park rod is connected. When the rooster comb is warn, the additional play can cause the park rod to not push forward far enough to engage the park dawg fully.

Hope you find the linkage is just out of adjustment.. Good luck!

13. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

I had non-engagement issues on my Travelall column shift. I had to adjust the linkage at the column so it would go all the way in to park. The overall linkage is sloppy so all these "fixing" makes you lose the ability to go to 1st gear.

14. theloneduck

Adjusted the length of the cable to improvement. Gonna take it to the shop and have them look as well as fix some leaks in the torque converter as well

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2dafloor likes this.