Interest in reproduction SSII items

Discussion in 'SSII' started by ihmagellan, Feb 17, 2005.

1. ihmagellan

ihmagellan Farmall Cub

I've been kicking around the idea of reproducing the following SSII and Midas SSII specific items:

Midas SSII seat bases--These are the type that flip the entire seat forward (similar to Jeep bases). I have about 7 or 8 sets nearly finished. Production costs are pretty high on these because there are so many pieces custom pieces. I could probably reduce costs by changing the design, but so far I've focused on keeping them nearly identical to the originals. These bases provide much better access for rear seat entry on an SSII. I haven't tried them out yet, but I also think they're going to work well for replacing the swivel bases in Midas Scout IIs and Travelers. They should give better rear seat access and allow the use of a front console.

Midas SSII front buckets--I have one pair of these and may be getting another pair soon. These seats are fairly simple to produce, but by the time they're upholstered they will be more expensive than most aftermarket racing buckets--however, they're much more comfortable.

Midas SSII rear double bucket--If I do the front seats, I may also follow with a rear. I have one to use for a pattern.

Removable carpet--This would be patterned after the original snap-in carpet, but would velcro in place instead of snapping. I have a good original set of snap-in carpet for a pattern. I'm looking at using a polypropylene automotive carpet that is water and chemical resistant and looks nearly identical to the factory carpet. It is currently available in grey only. I think these can be done for a very reasonable price.

Any thoughts?

Jerry Muncie
    '77 SSII
    '79 Midas SSII
    '80 Midas Traveler
    '80 CVI Hot Stuff
    '79 Scout II
    '75 Scout II
    '73 1210 Travelette
    and maybe soon...Midas Terra

2. Rustman

Rustman Farmall Cub

If this is a wish list, in addition to the these items, I would like to see a SSII soft top made to fit the original Whitco top hardware?

3. ihmagellan

ihmagellan Farmall Cub

It's not a wish list. It's a list of things I'm thinking about reproducing that I'm capable of handling. Just wondering how much interest there might be.

I'm not capable of doing the Whitco top, but I'd think just about any tent & awning shop should be able to do it. I do have an original Whitco top that is good enough to be used for a pattern. I'd like to see an original one with the Midas zip-out sun roof.

4. Rustman

Rustman Farmall Cub

Sorry I guess I could of phrased it better. I just meant that what you are doing would be a wish list to some wanting to put together a Midas SSII or just to add Midus stuff to their Scout.

As for the top, my SSII didn't have one when I bought it. If it did, I might have done like you said.

So, if you ever want to make a top using your original as a pattern, make a few, I'd be interested.

5. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Sounds like a good idea to me, seems like SSII's (IH's in general) are getting more popular. There will be a need for this stuff, seems like there's interest in converting SII's to SSII's. I guess you'd be the one to decide if it's going to be profitable or worth the effort for you. How about dash vent covers? I've seen a few out there, but they're pretty pricey. I guess I'll live without them for now. I know you said you aren't doing tops, but I think a Suntanner top for a SSII would be cool! :D Good luck with it!

6. Rustman

Rustman Farmall Cub

I think SSS is selling vent cover sets for $25. Close match from what I hear.

7. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Thanks, I'll look into that!

8. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

I would like to see the snap in carpets. They would be kind of nice to have once in a while.

9. ihmagellan

ihmagellan Farmall Cub

Tonight I started measuring the factory snap-in carpets and laying out the flat patterns to get quotes on waterjet cutting. The company I'm planning to get the carpet from does their own waterjet cutting and I'm hoping that I can buy the pieces precut for a reasonable price. That would just leave the edge binding and a few seams to finish the sets. At this point, I'm planning to stick with Velcro to hold these down because not everyone who wants them is going to have the factory snaps in the floor, I don't know how consistent the factory snap locations are, and the snaps leave a lot of unattached edges to curl up. There's always the option of an individual having a tent shop add the snaps to match their factory floor snaps. I should know within a couple of weeks if this project is feasible.

10. JerryD

JerryD High Wheeler

I had velcro carpeting in a CJ i used to own. The adhesive holding the velcro to the metal didn't last long. FYI.

11. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

I can see that being a problem also, especially as hot as the floor can get in the summer. My guess is most SS did not come with snaps, and a snap in set might be nice for other non SS Scouts that are used primarily for off roading. Sending some brass snaps unattached, with a cheap crimping tool might be a better way to go than velcro. I can also see the velcro strips getting fowled up with mud and water and having a very short life.

12. ihmagellan

ihmagellan Farmall Cub

I've had some bad experiences with adhesive backed velcro, also, but my experience was limited to the rolls like you buy at Walmart. I saw the velcro adhesive as being a potential problem, also, but there is apparently an adhesive that works for this type of application, now. I'm looking at a carpet that's used for bed-liners which are velcroed in place. Surface preparation may be the issue. I've had trouble with the little sticky pads that hold zip ties coming loose, too, but if you clean with an alcohol wipe prior to installation, they don't come off.

The website for the bed liners is www.bedrug.com. I talked to them at the SEMA Offroad show and got some samples of the stuff. I'm hoping that their waterjet cutting rates are reasonable enough to just order the pieces precut and I'll just have to stitch the seams and binding. If the velcro is a problem, installing snaps is an option.

13. Yancy

Yancy Farmall Cub

Jerry,

I'm interested in the SSII seat bases and Midas seats.
    Do you have pics of your prototypes? An action shot of the seats folded forward would be nice. Also, I'm not that familiar with the midas seats (front bucket seats). What makes them different? Foldable Armrests? Different shape/padding?

Any guesses as to a price range?

-Yancy

14. Hooper

Hooper Y-Block King

x 1,000,000,000

;)

15. rikkuss

rikkuss Farmall Cub

16. ihmagellan

ihmagellan Farmall Cub

These are a direct bolt-in and they are a tested design. They maintain the same seat height as the stock bases. Because of the size of the top flanges, they also allow holes to be drilled to adapt a wide range of non-IH seats. The bases I used for my pattern are from a truck that has about 125,000 very hard miles. At one time the truck had 12" of lift and 44" tires. I know the full history of the truck and it had been abused since it was new. The truck's frame is cracked in four places. The bases show very little wear. The teflon washers are a little distorted and there's a little wear in the latch plates, but it doesn't effect function at all. The reproductions are nearly identical to the originals. The original sheet metal parts appear to have been cut with a turret punch. Because the reproductions are laser cut, I was able to radius some of the sharp edges present on the originals.

The machined parts are the holdup--nothing complicated, just some rods with threaded and some other rods with snap ring grooves. Unfortunately, even though they're simple parts, machine shops are quoting me prices that work out to around $100 per pair of bases just for the rods. I'm wanting to get the bases on the market for under $200 per pair, but the machine work quotes so far are going to drive them up to around $250 or more per pair. That includes powder coating and assembly.

If I didn't care about making them like the original bases, I could make a few changes to take some cost out. I may do that in the future.

As for snap-in versus Velcro carpet--at this point I'll probably supply them with Velcro and let the end user have snaps installed if preferred. I've had bad experiences with adhesive back Velcro, also, but my wife reminded me that we had a YJ for several years with Velcroed carpet and it didn't give us any trouble. The factory snap location leave several loose edges that tend to get folded over. Right now I'm working on front carpet only--firewall to step. That's how the SSII carpet was done. There are 4 pieces total: one behind the seats, one over the transmission tunnel, one in the driver's floorboard, and one in the passenger's floorboard.

Jerry

17. harleykeith2003

harleykeith2003 Binder Driver

SS soft doors would be something to make and market----- the prices are crasy

18. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

You got that right, Keith!! Especially the frames! :eek:

19. ihmagellan

ihmagellan Farmall Cub

I've recently been involved in some discussions about the door frames. What are the current prices? I'm hesitant to produce them because there's already at least one supplier in that market. I'd rather concentrate on things that aren't available yet. If my employer happens to get into CNC wire forming in the future, I'd consider producing them, even if it's just to sell to the existing suppliers to help them lower their price. One thing that drives price up on Scout parts is that the suppliers have to have things made in quantity and then the inventories turn slowly. The nice thing about the parts I'm looking at is that I have ways to make them economically in very small quantities with minimal tooling investments. At this point, I'm not able to do that with door frames.

Jerry

20. cam saure

cam saure Binder Driver

IIRC the repop door frames are about $180.00 per side,plus shipping!!!!!! They would be extremely simple to produce on a simple jig to gauge the bends and a couple welds. The hardest part would be making the plate where the door handles go. They are just a round hole and small curved slot, simple to reproduce on a CNC. Maybe even you could produce the door handle plates along with some blueprints for the frames so people could make their own. The door handles may be hard to find in the future but are not all that hard to find at present. Cam