Interchangability - Early & Late D Series Trucks

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Forcus, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Forcus

Forcus Farmall Cub

Quick question - what is the interchangibility between early and late D Series trucks? e.g., 1969-1973 and 1974-75? I thought there might be frame width differences, and obviously the engine mount differences. I'm looking to fast-track my build with a body swap from an early truck to a late one. Thoughts?

2. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

front cab mounts are different but I believe the newer cab fits the older chassis ok, Bed mounts are in different spots on all but the highest gvw chassis.

Hoods, grilles and core suports swap as an assembly

There is probably some wiring differences to go along with the steering column change in 72 (?)

3. EDS

EDS Farmall Cub

Having just pulled the beds off both a '74 and a '72, I can tell you that the front mounting on the beds are different. Mine were both 3/4T, I don't know about the heavier GVW stuff.

The front mounts on the later bed beds go directly through the top of the frame where the older ones are outside the frame rails and incoroprated a spring on the bolt to allow the frame to flex a little independantly of the bed. The rear mounts appear to be the same, carriage bolts through the bed floor and then through the frame. Though the spacing may not.

I traded the '74 bed for a flatbed that had come off a '74/'75. I then pulled the rusty bed off the '72 and installed the flatbed. The PO had said that it lined up directly over the frame on his truck. It was maybe 1/4" too wide on the '72. I had to notch the frame of the flatbed to clear the overload leaf brackets. I built new mounts for the front of the flatbed.

4. Forcus

Forcus Farmall Cub

Thanks guys, I will take this in to account looking. None of those are deal breakers so glad to hear it.