Installing 1 ton transfer case. NP205

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by R290, Mar 7, 2014.

1. R290

R290 High Wheeler

I figured I would post up and provide a couple pics.

I have a 345 mill with the TF727. It's been updated to a Jeep tail housing to have the common six bolt pattern.

I could have bought a six bolt pattern to 205 8 bolt race track pattern from Northwest fab, but then I would have the same gear ratio as the dana20 2:1

So I bought a range box to put in front of the 205. There are several options out there. (Note: Klune-V used to make a range box, but the owner died and the company was also put to rest.)

The current trend is to use the planetary gears from an NP231 or NP241 vs using an NP203 On the NP231/241 You could just hack off the chain drive section and made that work. Or buy a DIY kits that give you a new case to install your 231/241 planetary gears and provides a shaft to go from the range box to the NP205. But you still having to convert from a 6 bolt round to an 8 bolt race track pattern, or find the elusive 6 bolt round pattern NP205 from 1985 Chevy truck with a turbo 400

But the guys over at ORD Offroad, decide to make something that works with the easy to find figure 8 NP205. They call it a Magnum box.

[​IMG]

The box comes with a huge intermediate shaft as that is a weak line with all the other designs.

[​IMG]

Here it is installed on the 727.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working out the details on making and installing the new crossmember. The new crossmember will hold the foot of the transmission and the foot of the magnum range box with just the normal stock Chevy NP205 rubber bushings. By only having one mounting location the drivetrain can move just like stock and not break the aluminum transmission housing.
    As you can see only about 3/4" hangs below the frame rails.

[​IMG]

2. R290

R290 High Wheeler

opted to just run a stock NP205 crossmember. I just cut it to fit and welded on some flat plate to the ends so I could bolt to the frame. I used the stock chevy trans/transfer case mounts.
    The idea was to only have one mount in the rear like stock. The analogy that between the 2 motor mounts and 1 trans/transfer case mount they act like a 3 legged stool as you frame flexes around it. This is done to help prevent broken transmissions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ben's Scout likes this.