inserts ???

Discussion in 'SSII' started by Mark Brown, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Mark Brown

Mark Brown Farmall Cub

Hi guys,

Any tips on installing door inserts?? I ordered a set from howteron, hopefully won't take too long to get here. Just looking for tips or procedures for installing.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Mark, the inserts are pretty straight forward to install. Make sure you have them screwed together and fitting the body contour the way you like before drilling holes into the body. Also, are you putting soft doors on? If so, have a helper hold the door frame to where it fits the insert BEFORE you drill your hinge holes in the insert. When you get the door fitted properly to the insert (insert is mounted to the vehicle) , then mark and drill your holes in the inserts. I know, this requires removing the inserts again to drill the holes, but it'll save a lot of headaches and adjusting. These doors fit badly enough so make sure they're where you want them before you drill for that hinge plate.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown Farmall Cub

Thanks for the tips, Paul. I am only installing the outers because my roll cage will interfere with inners. Is there a hinge insert inside the outer insert??

4. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

The hinges I got from Scout MADness came with an inner insert but there is no way of knowing exactly where to place them until you have the doors. I’m at that stage in my build. Have the inners installed but the outers are held on temporarily until I get the door skins. You can see the hinges in this pic and the straight strips to the right of them go on the inside of the insert.

[​IMG]

Jay

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown Farmall Cub

Thanks Jay! That answers my question. I have all those parts, they are not as pretty as yours, though!:D they're the original from when i tore the truck down 2 years ago.

6. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

What Jay said! :D

7. Hooper

Hooper Y-Block King

Hmm, mind don't have that inner plate for the door hinges.. that is a good idea. Next time I have my inserts off, I'll have to add those.

Never had much use for the *door stops* on my hinges. Those are long gone.

8. Mark Brown

Mark Brown Farmall Cub

Well, got the inserts in from Howteron. The way my truck is built, I have to do some trimming on the bottom of the inserts(to fit around my nerf bar/steps) and will have to reduce the width by about 1" on the inside due to the roll cage. What is the best way to cut the fiberglass, I was thinking saber saw and a hole saw for the bottom cuts? Also, where can you get rivets with a large flange on them?

Thanks,

9. Robert JetFxr

Robert JetFxr High Wheeler

Mark I ordered large head rivets from Fastnal. As far as cutting the fiberglass use a very fine steal cutting blade and run masking tape a long your cutting area. The tape will prevent the saw shoe (Bottom) from scratching the inserts up. I have a set of fiberglass hard doors if you want them shoot me a PM. They are rough but repairable, I think they were made in the days of Scout production.

10. Mark Brown

Mark Brown Farmall Cub

Thanks, Robert!!