Inquiring About Some Red Iron

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by mjmck, Oct 4, 2019.

1. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Good Morning All,
    I have been trying to obtain a neat old truck my company currently has. A back story is we obtained the truck from an old Foundry where it was presumed to spend all of its life. Its currently running (rough), however not road worthy (in means of brakes, etc). It does have a working pump on it that was replaced about 3 years ago. The truck is extremely solid and I would like to "revive" it as a toy for myself. Plan on keeping the petina and fire truck look. Trying to find more information on this and determining what it really is (year assuming it is a 69 or 70, model, engine, trans, etc.). What is something like this worth? Check out the mileage too, not certain it is legit but have reasonable doubt it is. Are maintenance parts easy to obtain for this vintage truck?
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    IMG_5681.JPG
    IMG_5684.JPG
    20191004_101004.jpg
    20191004_101052.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  2. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

If it was truly only for being a first response vehicle around the factory/foundry area then that's totally possible. The brake, gas, and clutch (if manual) pedal pads should look brand new.

One of the Air Stations I used to do site visits/inspections of in AK had a narrow ½ mile corridor between buildings -- because of the extreme winter weather they had a special firetruck & ambulance that lived in the corridor! Those service vehicles probably didn't see 100 miles a year!

mjmck likes this.
  3. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

I would say they look to be in great condition (less the mud). Rubber floor protector is barely worn in the accelerator heel area. The clutch was definitely used a lot as the floor protector behind is in poor shape. Additionally the throw out bearing is making a rukus/whirring type of sound. I bet this truck has a lot of hours for the age but little miles running pumps.
    20191004_110415.jpg

4. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

That's real neat! Not sure of value. I find lots of those old fire pumper IH's don't necessarily sell for big money. Yes they are unique but very impractical if you maintain their existing configuration and drive it around. Looks super clean inside. I would definitely grab it if you can. Maybe $2,500 - $4,500 is a fair price???

I'd take a look at the rear. It may have one of those super duper Eaton rears. This makes things more unpractical as the gearing will be incredibly low and kinda useless for normal use. It's unlikely but at least you know what you're getting into. Try flipping the glove box down and you may find the LST (build sheet) on top. That will give a lot of great info.

5. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

What foundry in which state? Is it still in production and did it work with Iron, brass, aluminum, everything?

You can get the Line Setting Ticket which lists everything the truck was built with by contacting any good LightLine distributor or going to the Wisconsin Historical Society; lots of information here about both, and probably more w/ online searching. IIRC, the fee is about $25 for the LST. An original abbreviated copy may be somewhere in the truck, e.g. behind the glove compartment box.
    What paperwork comes with the truck? I believe it would have been further outfitted with the pump, etc. by another company.

6. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

I will try and get a pic of that in a bit. It has a monster rear axle under it for sure. This will purely be a toy for me, car shows. I have taken it to a parade before and it got a ton of attention.

This style is right up my alley, neat old petina'd trucks.

7. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Its spent its life in Massena, NY at an Alcoa Foundry. Assuming aluminum was the key product and is still in operating status. I assume the only paperwork will be a BOS from my company. The body is a Thibault, but I am not sure who actually outfitted it together.

8. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

October '69 is 1970 model year production.

9. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

I assume being a 70 that a BOS will be sufficient to eventually register in NYS (I think titles only date back to 73/72?). On a side note does anyone know if this transmission has synchros? Should this thin be shifted like a "big rig" with double clutching? Reason I ask it it seems to not want to go into 3rd shifting conventionally. Went out and did some more digging. If the LST is supposed to be inside/or on the back of the glove box I am out of luck....
    20191004_135810.jpg
    Also got a pic of the hour meter:
    20191004_135904.jpg

A few more pics just because we all like them....
    IMG_5682.JPG
    IMG_5689.JPG
    IMG_5688.JPG

scoutbeck likes this.
  10. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

4 speed? Probably a T98 in there.

11. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Correct, it is a 4 speed.

12. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

The deal is done. This truck is now mine.

jeff campbell likes this.
  13. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Nice!!!! Great news. What did you pay for it? (I won't bother with the "if you don't mind me asking" follow up as I'm very curious what such a unique IH would go for.)

14. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Unfortunately this sale will not reflect what this truck is worth. I figured this truck in current condition(barely a yard truck) is in the $2k range. Luckily with my working relationship I literally got the truck for nothing. And I mean nothing.

MrKenmore, stroker3 and jeff campbell like this.
  15. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

2nd 3rd & 4th only syncrod.not 1st.yes T-98.

16. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Thank you. I bet this truck ran 1st and 2nd all its life. Maybe the 3rd synchro is shot from no use? I need to try a double clutch. But brakes are so bad I dont like going that fast.

Plan is to get it home over the next few weeks. Then we will slowly get it roadworthy.

jeff campbell likes this.
  17. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Good for you!!!! That's terrific. :)

mjmck likes this.
  18. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Cool truck!
    With 1000 hrs on it your odometer would seem correct. I wouldn’t worry about the trans too much. Change the fluid and get some miles on it. I’d bet it will loosen up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stroker3 and mjmck like this.
  19. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Can anyone shed insight on how to classify this engine? Looks like options are 304, 345 and 392? How do I differentiate?

Also looks like tons of options for brakes on rockauto. Many different sizes for a 1300d.

20. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

There's a tab on the block that will have the CI on it. It's the circled location in the pic.
    stew_s11.jpg

mjmck and jeff campbell like this.