Input on possible Scout purchase and restoration

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by Steel-Eer, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

I am considering possibly purchasing and restoration one of the two Scouts below. Both are '64s and seem to be fairly original, which is what I want. I'm certainly no body man or a mechanic but I am capable of most mechanical work. I've got the funds to buy something in the range of each of the trucks below and to put money into them but I'm not looking for a show winner. I just want something to drive around town with the family and tinker around with on weekends with my boys. I realize that a picture only can tell you so much but I'd like input from the "pros" on what you see. You're not going to hurt my feelings if I'm missing something obvious as my past experience has been with working on a '78 CJ.

Ironically both are in Colorado and I would need to ship back here to Chicago area. I would probably hire a local inspection service rather than spend the money on a flight/rental car/hotel.

This is the first option. Love the color and the aging of what appears to be original paint. Hate there is no back seat but know I can find one. Seems to be in better shape than option two.

http://www.classiccardeals.com/Inve...-DateDesc/AllInventory.aspx?search=1964+scout

This is the other option. Ad says original but side views and back bumper sure don't look original to me! I do like the Ramsey winch and it seems like several maintenance items have been done.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1964/international_harvester/scout/100944161

Again any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated and thank you.

bbengard likes this.
  2. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

First of all, someone needs to crawl underneath and check for rust.

scout2000 likes this.
  3. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

I know that Scout prices have been rising over the past few years, but that out of the way, both vehicles, at least IMHO, seem to be somewhat steeply priced. For me to put down that much, or more on any Scout, it would need to be pretty much exactly what I was looking for, or, the missing items would need to be small items.

Mark's rust comment (above) is a very valid one.

And finally, both vehicles are powered by their (IH OEM) 152 CID 4-cyl engines. Certainly a qualifier here will be your planned vehicle usage, but I will ask, especially if you have planned highway usage, are you going to be happy with a 152? If not, have you budgeted to get your choice of either of these vehicles up to a level where it is safe to drive in Chicago city traffic?

Its your money to do with as you please, hopefully these comments are "food for though", and get you thinking about your ultimate goals, once you consider your Scout "complete", or at least close to it.

Good luck

4. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

Thanks Mark and Jerry! I most definitely appreciate the food for thought and guidance. Rust, both body and frame, will definitely be high on the inspection priority list. In regards to the price, I wouldn't plan on paying what either owner is asking but negotiating down appropriately on both. That being said would you guys have a range you feel either may be in assuming no significant rust or frame issues? Also I tried to find a Classifieds section on this site but couldn't seem to find one.

We live in a suburb of Chicago, far enough from the rat race, that cruising will be limited to driving around our small town and down "country" roads so the 152 would fit the bill. Again thanks and keep the opinions coming.

5. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

I wouldn't pay more than 3 grand for either of them.

scout2000 likes this.
  6. pscrambler

pscrambler Binder Driver

The one in Michigan is the better candidate in my opinion. If it was pretty much rust free and ran/drove/stopped I think 4-6k is appropriate.

7. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

Unfortunately the one that says it’s in Michigan is in Colorado as well. The listing agency is in Michigan. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places but the prices listed for each seem prettty consistent with the others I’m seeing. What sites do you guys to find new rigs? I’d buy either of those for $3000 today.

8. stroker3

stroker3 Y-Block King

Ya but you're in AZ. It kills me to see what's out there at 3k compared to the choices in these snow belt areas. With that said at the 3-5k range plus shipping to Ill, looking for something better in your area and shipping it from there would make more sense IMHO

9. walkersscout

Call Phieffer from the club, Sonora desert scouts, he could probably hook you up with a decent 800 cheaper than those. Ronnie likely has a couple for sale as well.I have shipped vehicles out of state before, I would guess in the $800 neighborhood.
    Better yet come down to Rendezvous next month and drive one home.

stroker3 likes this.
  10. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

As far as the two you've listed there's not enough information to nail down a number, but I agree they are way overpriced. I would pass. Not to mention with vehicles this old they are likely to need a lot of work just to make them work well.
    Here's the classified section. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?forums/ih-classifieds-vehicles-for-sale.151/ Facebook scout pages and Craigslist are where the best deals are usually. You can use seachtempest.com to check the entire nation. One thing I would recommend is actually driving a similarly equipped Scout if you haven't already just so you know what you're getting into. In stock form early Scouts are very crude, under powered, and noisy. Worse than even a '78 CJ. Are you planning on driving it in the winter in Illinois?

11. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming! I really appreciate the insights and suggestions.

Where can I find info on the Rendezvous? I’ve got plenty of frequent flier miles and hotel points!

This would only be a summer Sunday driver. Take the top off and cruise around town. No off-roading or winter driving.

12. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

Maybe I should start a contest where members find candidates, pick five finalists, and then I run a poll on which one to buy. Winning submission would get a gift card or something. Thoughts? Requirements would be ‘60s Scout 80 or 800 in running condition with minimal rust and as original as possible. I’m looking for best value not necessary the cheapest.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  13. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Take it from me. Buy something from the southern states and get it shipped. I'm over $10k invested into my Scout SSII and it's still in pieces. Bought it way way over priced in Canada from NB and I could have had a running and driving candidate had from the southern US for 3-4K and shipped for another 1 to 1.5 k.

stroker3 likes this.
  14. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

I hear you Winchested. The CJ I had was from NC and it was in good shape for never having been in a garage. I really don't have an issue with shipping if it's the right one.

15. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer High Wheeler

16. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

I'm kind of on a similar train of thought. Given a straight, rust free body (at least IH rust free :) ), I would probably pay more than 3K, but not anywhere near 10K+.

Unless you do body work and rust repair yourself, and have the tools, storage facility/place to do it, and are happy with the time involved, body work is expensive and adds up quick.

There's a limit to everything, but, at least IMHO, putting down a couple K more for a clean/straight/rust free body is money ahead in the long run.

stroker3 likes this.
  17. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

Anyone near Denver want to check out a Scout for me???

18. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

Latest candidate - https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/d/1980-international-harvester/6566712511.html
    Was able to look at it today. Rust in the usual spots but otherwise very solid. Frame looked great. All original interior intact other than factory radio. They claim it is original paint but I'm not so sure. No emblems, only "Scout" stickers on rear quarters. Obviously that price is wacky but thoughts on a fair price?

19. walkersscout

Offer them 4 grand and you will find out a lot closer what the price really is.

20. Steel-Eer

Steel-Eer Farmall Cub

I’m admittedly a Scout newbie. Does that paint look original to you WalkerScout?